Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

Virgin Atlantic credit card: conditions for 'free' ticket

Old Dec 18, 2002, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR

Spend £15,000 or more a year on your Virgin Credit Card and earn a free companion ticket the next time you book a qualifying flight with Virgin Atlantic. Terms & Conditions apply.

That's from the website, with no link to the T+Cs.

According to the VFC helpline today:
- 'book' = buy, i.e. not redeem
- a 'qualifying' flight is one booked in J, W or Y/B/L - i.e. not D, K or other Y fares.
- the flights can only be booked at the end of the 12 month period, even if the £15,000 is spent earlier in the year - e.g. in my case, I can book from Dec 17, 2003 even if pass the threshold next month
- if I've only spent £14,950 in the 12 months, tough.

Important to know the differences between different operators' offers!

Old Dec 18, 2002, 5:28 pm

Programs: BA Silver, A3 *G
This is very disappointing news.

------------------
Virgin Flying Club Gold, Eurostar Gold, United Silver, Six Continents Gold
Old Dec 20, 2002, 4:45 am

Programs: LH au VS au BMI au
these are normal terms and conditions. My guess, somewhat educated is that the the credit card is not aimed at those running an expense account, but those who have a weekly purge at tesco's

Jon
Old Dec 20, 2002, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
OK, but some of us were hoping that the offer would be competitive with the Amex BA card.

Everybody will have their own views, but I'm disappointed that the 'free' ticket does not go alongside a redemption ticket, that there is no incentive to use the card on Virgin purchases (the BA card offers up to 3 BA miles for BA purchases), that the £15,000 threshold is less flexible than the BA card.

I'm also disappointed that the terms and conditions are not explained until you ask for them. After all, they're quite restrictive.

As for shopping at Tesco, I guess we'll carry on earning 1.5 BA miles per £ and use the Virgin card for places like Boots who don't take Amex.

I can't help feeling that a significant opportunity has been missed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.