Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tips for getting extra FC points

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2001, 1:49 pm
Moderator, Virgin Atlantic
Original Poster

Programs: VS Red, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium - earned out of our own pocket!.
Tips for getting extra FC points

I am FC silver and am currently trying to get my points total up to at least 150K for a big trip to the US next year. I thought it might be a good idea through the various people 'in the know' in this forum if we could share a few tips aimed at maximising our FC points.

I currently have Amex Platinum, which is great because, apart from a big signing bonus and converting MR points one to one to FC points, it also gets me into the Clubhouses - this for me is a priceless benefit, as I am an economy passenger. Amex also comped me Hertz #1 Club Gold and Hilton Gold - which give me bonus FC points with each rental / hotel stay. I understand through Richard Mannion in the Amex forum that they will now also comp Starwood Gold, but I haven't got the details of this yet.

I have a Texaco Global card and a Texaco Visa card - both of which are great for FC points. I understand the BAA Visa card is also useful for getting FC points, but I don't have one.

If anyone else has any tips or pointers for getting extra points that they are willing to share with me and other FTers, please could they append them to this message.

Thanks in advance for any information.
Old Jul 25, 2001, 2:32 pm

Programs: Various
Hi Nick,

Looking for ways to get some extra miles. Off the top of my head:-

Order a case of wine from Virgin Wines, you will get 3000 miles for your first order. Just any case of wine will do, they have one offer for about £35 at the moment.

When you do fly VS, use the preorder for duty free. I always buy around £100 -150 worth of Champagne, Perfume etc for either me or as gifts for upcoming birthdays, 10 miles per £1 spent (Min order £20). I have just booked all our Disney tickets like this and earned 6800 miles in the process.

You have the Texaco Card already, though not quite the Point earner.

Stay at Radisson Hotels whenever you can, you earn 1000 points per night (instead of the usual 1000 points per stay at most others). I find that they are cheaper than the Hilton or Sheraton etc. I spend around 100 nights per year in Radissons, 100K miles = 1 RTN Upper flight to USA.

Watch out for special offers on the Virgin Atlantic Website for double miles etc.

Book your holidays through Worldwide Travel if possible (Number in Guidebook), if you spend over £1000 you will get 2miles per £ spent. i just booked £8k worth of Flydrives to MIA for my company conference, 16000 miles and 8000 miles on the AmEx.

Sign up your partner for Flying Club too, even if they don't fly that often. Virgin don't tell you but you can go 50/50 on mile redemption.

Example A - me and my friend are flying to Toronto next year, I buy one Prem Eco ticket and it is 40k miles for a companion. Now we have gone halves and it is 20k miles each. I still earn miles on my full normal ticket.

Example B. 2 returns to NY in W. 100k miles, but you could split it 75k/25k miles as you are paying for half a reward as it is 2 separate tickets.

If I think of any more, I'll let you know.

Thanks,
Richard
Old Jul 25, 2001, 3:01 pm

Err How could I forget these...

a) Look at ways to maximise your spend on your AmEx, which will increase MR points which means more miles.

If you have a mobile phone, contact the provider and ask to pay by AmEx. They sometimes send you a form, saves on direct debit.

Put everything you can on your card, try your household bills. Use it for company expenses if you can, I have started to do this to great success about 6 months ago, I now earn on average 8000 miles a month and am also up for a Centurion Amex card.

b) On the holiday front, don't know if people are aware but you get 10% discount off all Virgin Holidays via the brochures, this includes Flydrives and Accommodation only bookings via the brochure (just take the extra night price). Just mention that you are a Flying CLub member and are entitled to a 10% discount.

C) Kind of obvious but fly Virgin or one of its airline partners whenever you can.

D) Don't forget your miles for hiring a car too, it may only be a 1000 miles but you may need them one day.

Thanks,
Richard
Old Jul 25, 2001, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

Richard
Many thanks for your excellent reply.

Just one question (for now!)

Could you please explain how to go about -
"Sign up your partner for Flying Club too, even if they don't fly that often. Virgin
don't tell you but you can go 50/50 on mile redemption."

What are the rules and who do we contact?

My Wife Sue is FC Silver with C 35K - this sounds of great interest to us.

Regards

Nick

[This message has been edited by Nottingham Nick (edited 07-25-2001).]
Old Jul 25, 2001, 4:15 pm

On the 50/50 one, when you book the reward simply ask to use miles from 2 accounts, and they will tell you its 50/50. Have the other persons account number handy to give them, they will then ask to speak to the other account member or ask for you to get them to call. They will give you a reference number which they should give.

Not checked to see if there are any Conditions on this in the handbook, as far as I know it can be done for any reward in the guidebook.

Happy mile hunting!!

Thanks,
Richard

[This message has been edited by RichardMannion (edited 07-25-2001).]
Old Jul 26, 2001, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Richard,

I have looked in the guidebook but can find no mention of 50/50, I will give FC a ring to see what they say.
Do you know if equal amounts of points have to come from each account, as implied by the title 50/50?

Nick
Old Jul 26, 2001, 2:35 pm
Original Member

The 50/50 is actually single tickets. Virgin allow one way tickets using rewards for half the miles (not mentioned in the guidebook). You are therefore 'buying' an outboard with your partners miles, and the return with your own. Very handy if you don't have enough miles for say upper class both ways. You can buy economy for going out, and upperclass for the overnight return - 30k per person saving for the west coast.

Noticed in the latest version of the hilton guide that you can convert hhonors points into VS miles in the normal ratio i.e. 50000 HH = 10k vs. With a joint HH account, you can therefore use this to top up a partners who does'nt fly very often VS account, especially if they are just below a key point eg 50k for a one way upperclass west coast ticket.

Join a partner with Amex even if you have platinum, they get bonus miles in their account.

Radisson does not include US hotels.

Worldwide travel 10% discount applies to ANYTHING you buy with your holiday (except disney tickets), e.g. prepaided all inclusive car insurance, room upgrades etc.

[This message has been edited by Tim_T (edited 07-26-2001).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.