Wiki Posts
Search

Possible Destinations (Cush Interview)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2009, 10:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: VX, UA 2P
Possible Destinations (Cush Interview)

Virgin America ... is studying whether to fly to Dallas/Fort Worth Airport, Austin and Atlanta, CEO David Cush said Tuesday.

... "We have analyzed Dallas and Austin, places with big corporate and technology bases that certainly would have some synergies with San Francisco and Los Angeles," which the airline already serves.

Toronto and Vancouver are also being studied as possible destinations...

... Chicago, where rivals have so far refused to cede gates, remains at the top of Virgin America’s expansion choices, Cush said.
Sorry about all the chopping, didn't want to paste the entire article Read the whole article here: http://www.star-telegram.com/dallas_...y/1532842.html (Cush also talks about Frontier, DOT and Investors)
Old Aug 11, 2009, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Unfortunately for ORD does not have opening new gates space available this time. I think VX will have to be consider to MDW-SFO/LAX. I don't know whether the situation going on in ORD due to leaks gate space availability both AA & DL will try to leave from concourse L. I think VX will have to takeover whole concourse L gates. However, city of Chicago will have to try to get Delta out of L gates to another new gates to be merge NW gates & ticket counter space, too.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 4:11 pm
Original Poster

Here's some more speculation about Vancouver: http://www.vancouversun.com/travel/D...940/story.html

Virgin America Inc., ... , has announced it’s studying whether to fly to Toronto and Vancouver, as well as several new U.S. destinations.
If Virgin proceeds with the plan, analysts say it could not only be flying into Vancouver within three to six months of an announcement, but the move could prompt other discount carriers to follow suit.
I could have done a lot with YYZ-SFO last year.
Old Aug 17, 2009, 10:33 am

Vancouver

I would like Vancouver as a VX destination. I doubt it will be the next destination however. The article made me laugh about Canadians have such discerning tastes that they wouldn't go for cheap, no frills airlines (not that VX is no frills by any stretch of the imagination). Please! I'm sure they would jump at the savings if given a chance.
Old Aug 17, 2009, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd love to see PDX.
Old Aug 17, 2009, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Phamer55
I would like Vancouver as a VX destination. I doubt it will be the next destination however. The article made me laugh about Canadians have such discerning tastes that they wouldn't go for cheap, no frills airlines (not that VX is no frills by any stretch of the imagination). Please! I'm sure they would jump at the savings if given a chance.
I totally agree, Canadians are right into saving money.

WestJet is supposed to be a LCC, but there is very little difference between them and Air Canada when comparing prices for the same route on the same day (well everytime I've checked at least).

And although they are cheaper, VX is a much nicer airline than WS and AC. Canadians would love VX.
Old Aug 17, 2009, 10:11 pm

Programs: AS (former)MVP, DL [NW-WP], AC Aeroplan, Starbucks Gold :)
Originally Posted by rjque
I'd love to see PDX.
^^ As a PDXer, not surprising, I totally agree with you. PDX is the last major west cost holdout in the VX network. The demographics of the PDX area city fit the model that VX is out for. Plus, PDX-SFO and LAX-PDX are quite important west coast routes.

PLEEEAAASE VX Enter PDX! As an aside, doesn't the phrase "VX to PDX" sound sooo nice?

Prosper

~FAI PDX Flyer
Old Aug 17, 2009, 11:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Well, I feel for my PDX brethren, since I think VX rocks... but unless there's been a change recently, SEA is VX's weakest station. I don't see that PDX is going to be a great business case for expansion as a new station, given that it has much the same competition as SEA (WN, UA, AS), except a) it gets even MORE pricing pressure from WN, so much so that b) AS is doing downgauges to QX RJs/Q400s on the PDX-Bay Area routes. It seems to me, rather, that they'd be better off going where AS and WN aren't.

But hey, could be wrong...
Old Aug 18, 2009, 12:01 am

Programs: AS (former)MVP, DL [NW-WP], AC Aeroplan, Starbucks Gold :)
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
<< X-Files theme song playing>>

Straaaaanger things have haaaappened, like VX "dissssssing" (note quotations) MIA when chooooosing FLL

<</X-files theme song playing>>.

~FAI PDX Flyer
Old Aug 19, 2009, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Well, I feel for my PDX brethren, since I think VX rocks... but unless there's been a change recently, SEA is VX's weakest station. I don't see that PDX is going to be a great business case for expansion as a new station, given that it has much the same competition as SEA (WN, UA, AS), except a) it gets even MORE pricing pressure from WN, so much so that b) AS is doing downgauges to QX RJs/Q400s on the PDX-Bay Area routes. It seems to me, rather, that they'd be better off going where AS and WN aren't.

Fares between SFO and PDX are through the roof these days, which is why I would love to see VX come in. VX's entry would likely result in a fare war along the lines of what we are currently seeing in the SFO-SEA market. Of course, that is probably the reason we haven't seen this route launch yet.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 7:39 pm

Programs: CO OnePass Platinum AS MVP HHonors Diamond SPG Gold
When VX wasn't even flying they claimed PHX was on the "short list." What happened? Would love to see them kick Doug Parker's butt!
Old Aug 20, 2009, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by COpltASgldPHX
When VX wasn't even flying they claimed PHX was on the "short list." What happened? Would love to see them kick Doug Parker's butt!
VX will have to be considers for SFO/LAX-PHX. This is under particularly consideration for which specific cities will be choose. VX will have enough the ticket counter space in the T3 where former old NW counter & gates, too. I think VX will have vacanted the gates space at T3 in north concourse. It would be perfect opportunity to bring VX into PHX. We have empties 2 gates is left behind in north concourse at T3. I think it would take the advantage of it. It will be very extremely overcrowded at security checkpoint. I think VX will expecting to bring more capacity growth in PHX. It will bring lot of populations who wants to connection the flight from PHX-LAX/SFO hub. It will have enough more restrictions any leaks the gate space in T3.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by nermaljcat
I totally agree, Canadians are right into saving money.

WestJet is supposed to be a LCC, but there is very little difference between them and Air Canada when comparing prices for the same route on the same day (well everytime I've checked at least).

And although they are cheaper, VX is a much nicer airline than WS and AC. Canadians would love VX.

Did you ever think that AC matches WS's fares? Just like every other competitive carrier on the planet. What were the fares before WS enetered the market?

If VX enters they will set the new bottom and everyone will match.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 9:49 pm

Is their not a market for LAX-LAS for VX? Even just 1 or 2 daily would be a good start. Its not exactly a lengthy route anyway.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 10:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AnotherFlyBoy18
Is their not a market for LAX-LAS for VX? Even just 1 or 2 daily would be a good start. Its not exactly a lengthy route anyway.
Would LAX-LAS be more of a leisure route? I wonder if they'd get many pax on the weekend? Do VX have enough planes to increase capacity on any route?

I guess there is always LAX-SFO-LAS or another carrier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.