Search

CNN and MSNBC, but no way Fox News?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2011, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
CNN and MSNBC, but no way Fox News?

Pleasant LAS-SFO flight last night, but give me a break on the Dish TV selection, with the company's liberal bias on full display: CNN, MSNBC, certifiably insane Al Gore's The Current?? Yeah, by all means, don't offer Fox News and let your pax decide.

Great flight otherwise, with my mini-report here... VX 917F LAS-SFO
Old Aug 12, 2011, 6:59 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
While I am no fan of the Fox Noise Channel, I do believe in giving people a choice!
Old Aug 12, 2011, 8:50 am

I'd like to be able to get a burger & soda from In & Out sans one-liner from that big book of fairy tales too.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 12:42 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by SFO777
Pleasant LAS-SFO flight last night, but give me a break on the Dish TV selection, with the company's liberal bias on full display: CNN, MSNBC, certifiably insane Al Gore's The Current?? Yeah, by all means, don't offer Fox News and let your pax decide.
Come on, Comcast has a large stake in Current. Have you even watched their programming?

Look, VX is ostensibly in the business of making money. I don't know if the company has a "liberal" bias or how that would factor in to their Red programming. But they've clearly decided it's good for business, policy-wise, to be on the right side of history in vocally supporting LGBT causes and being on the vanguard of green initiatives.

I stay in plenty of hotels that carry Fox News but not MSNBC or Comedy Central. It's annoying but doesn't make me stew with rage against my conservative lodging overlords. It may very well be that VX did market research and decided that their client base skews to the political left. An SFO-based airline that markets heavily to young, urban people and the tech-savvy will generally find that demographic to be mutually exclusive from Fox News viewership, which is older and more rural. I know several self-identified conservatives who fly VX and don't watch Fox News (and some who watch Fox News but still love VX).

If you're uncomfortable with the overall "liberal" vibe you seem to have ascribed to VX, don't fly them. You can write and request that they add Fox News. But if it doesn't make business sense, they won't do it.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
Look, VX is ostensibly in the business of making money. I don't know if the company has a "liberal" bias or how that would factor in to their Red programming. But they've clearly decided it's good for business, policy-wise, to be on the right side of history in vocally supporting LGBT causes and being on the vanguard of green initiatives.

It may very well be that VX did market research and decided that their client base skews to the political left. An SFO-based airline that markets heavily to young, urban people and the tech-savvy will generally find that demographic to be mutually exclusive from Fox News viewership.
OMG, that argument actually does makes some sense.
Of course when that core market grows up and has responsibilities...
And for the record, I do enjoy VX and will continue to fly them as the situation presents itself.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by Colin
I'd like to be able to get a burger & soda from In & Out sans one-liner from that big book of fairy tales too.
+1

...and the meal from AS...
Old Aug 12, 2011, 9:25 pm

Programs: HHonors Silver, UA (no status, but lots of miles!)
i noticed the new channel lineup on my flight tonight, LAX SFO. Foxnews WAS present, I believe it was channel 24. Glad to see the reduction of the 5 ESPN channels.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by SFO777
Of course when that core market grows up and has responsibilities...
Don't worry, some of us are incorrigible no matter what.

(But we don't mind sharing tales of frequent flyer-dom and good cheer across the political chasm, as it were. Even if we wouldn't post in OMNI-PR on a dare. )
Old Aug 14, 2011, 11:21 pm

Programs: AA Gold,DL Gold
So if I understand SFO777 correctly there is a big conspiracy theory about why VX does not have Fox News, yet they do have Fox News on their lineup!

Hmm... perhaps the aluminium foil hat might be a tad too tight.

Were you enjoying the free liquor in MCS or First when you thought this up???
Old Aug 15, 2011, 10:36 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Anybody with a brain, that is stuck on a plane, would if given the choice to watch Fox News-refrain.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.