Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Priority security lane at SFO?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2009, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Priority security lane at SFO?

Is it still the case that there is no priority security lane at SFO (for the concourse that VX occupies)?

I thought that I'd read somewhere that SFO had added one, but I can't seem to find the post.

Assuming that there is one, is it likely to be open at around 8:00 AM on a Friday?

Thanks for any information!
Old Jun 17, 2009, 10:56 am

Programs: DL DM
As of a few weeks ago (my last trip through the int'l terminal) there were no priority security lines. Even during the afternoon rush when you have three or four European flights plus VX flights going out, the line is never an issue and is probably the best run check-point in the airport.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 11:33 am

I can confirm this from last week at the A terminal. But, it was a fast and smoothly running general check-in line, so the wait was minimal.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 12:25 pm

Programs: Mucci (for services to Gin), VS Au, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Avis Pref+, Hertz 5*
There is a priority lane, it is called CLEAR and you have to pony up $129 and a pound of flesh to the TSA to get it. Oh and it is only open until 1pm in the Intl Terminal.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There was a premium security lane as of about five weeks ago, directly next to the CLEAR lane. The TSA was completely confused by it, but there is definitely a new lane there.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 1:45 pm

Programs: Mucci (for services to Gin), VS Au, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Avis Pref+, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by rjque
There was a premium security lane as of about five weeks ago, directly next to the CLEAR lane. The TSA was completely confused by it, but there is definitely a new lane there.
Which side of the Intl Terminal? I was flying out of the A gates on NW two weeks ago and Clear was closed and I was told there was no priority security line, nor could I see one.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tony2x
Which side of the Intl Terminal? I was flying out of the A gates on NW two weeks ago and Clear was closed and I was told there was no priority security line, nor could I see one.
This was on the A side. My husband and I were flying VX F and the VX agent stamped "Premium" on our boarding passes. The agent told us to use the "Premium" line just next to the Clear lane. Sure enough, there was a lane right next to the Clear lane that had a standing sign marked "Premium" passengers. It was closed, but a TSA agent opened it for us when we showed her our boarding passes. When we got to the ID checker, he told us that we were in the "family and medical liquids" lane and that there was no such thing as a "Premium" lane. We pointed out the sign and he seemed surprised.

In any event, it sounds like they tried to implement something but didn't follow-through.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 2:09 pm

This was on the A side. My husband and I were flying VX F and the VX agent stamped "Premium" on our boarding passes. The agent told us to use the "Premium" line just next to the Clear lane. Sure enough, there was a lane right next to the Clear lane that had a standing sign marked "Premium" passengers. It was closed, but a TSA agent opened it for us when we showed her our boarding passes. When we got to the ID checker, he told us that we were in the "family and medical liquids" lane and that there was no such thing as a "Premium" lane. We pointed out the sign and he seemed surprised.

In any event, it sounds like they tried to implement something but didn't follow-through.
That doesn't sound like the TSA to me!

I've seen these 'Experienced Traveller' aisles at airports before where it mentions Elite status as a qualifier to gain access but the TSA folks never seem to enforce it, oh and it says you can go into that lane if you fly more than twice a month. Huh?!
Old Jun 17, 2009, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That doesn't sound like the TSA to me!

I've seen these 'Experienced Traveller' aisles at airports before where it mentions Elite status as a qualifier to gain access but the TSA folks never seem to enforce it, oh and it says you can go into that lane if you fly more than twice a month. Huh?!
IIRC, this sign said "Premium" and also said "first/business class."
Old Jun 17, 2009, 2:58 pm

IIRC, this sign said "Premium" and also said "first/business class."
I flew shortly after it was mentioned in the other thread, and it was already gone.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 10:09 pm

I was at SFO today in the Intl terminal and I searched high and low for this lane, yet it was nowhere to be found. It was probably too confusing or angered the CLEAR folks, I mean why pay if you can get it for free.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was at SFO today in the Intl terminal and I searched high and low for this lane, yet it was nowhere to be found. It was probably too confusing or angered the CLEAR folks, I mean why pay if you can get it for free.
Apparently a very short lived premium lane. Premium passengers don't usually fly out of international terminals anyway, right?
Old Jun 19, 2009, 4:07 pm

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
Originally Posted by AGSF
As of a few weeks ago (my last trip through the int'l terminal) there were no priority security lines. Even during the afternoon rush when you have three or four European flights plus VX flights going out, the line is never an issue and is probably the best run check-point in the airport.
Just went through. Other then CLEAR, everyone goes through the same set of lines. However, the lines split into several id check points, and I was through in < 15 minutes (despite it looking a little daunting when I first entered the line).

The security line in Intl A was much less annoying than the line for AS/WN/CO in terminal 1, where they now seem to merge the premium passengers at the end of the regular line after the id check.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 1:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by makfan
Just went through. Other then CLEAR, everyone goes through the same set of lines. However, the lines split into several id check points, and I was through in < 15 minutes (despite it looking a little daunting when I first entered the line).

The security line in Intl A was much less annoying than the line for AS/WN/CO in terminal 1, where they now seem to merge the premium passengers at the end of the regular line after the id check.
That premium lane in T1 is also relatively new (meaning within the past couple of years). The SFO TSA is not the brightest group when it comes to handling new things.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 12:43 pm

Programs: DL DM
The SFO TSA is not the brightest group when it comes to handling new things.
Security at SFO is handled by a private firm. I actually find them to have the friendliest screeners.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.