Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Priority security lane at SFO?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2009, 6:52 am

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Having just moved to Denver, I can say for certain that Denver has nicer screeners than SFO. Additionally, we should all be aware that CLEAR has ceased operations and references to the CLEAR lane in this thread are now moot.
Old Aug 21, 2009, 10:31 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8330/4.5.0.138 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

This afternoon, there was only one person checking IDs and BPs. While we were standing near him (but dozens of bodies deep in line) a gentlemen walked up to the right of the queue with a premium-looking BA boarding pass. The checker stopped the line to let him through, at which point I asked, "Is that a First Class line?" He said yes and invited us to come on through. ^

I just wonder how the BA pax wound up on that side of the line, since the "pre-checker" didn't tell us to take a different line. Maybe they don't even realize that VX has a premium cabin? In any case, it was an unexpected treat!
Old Aug 23, 2009, 10:40 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold
So the confusion continues. How wonderful. Gives us all something to talk about.

Our family is booked into first class the Sunday after Thanksgiving. It only cost us $25 each more than coach. It will be my first time on VX. I'm looking forward to it.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 7:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott T
First time flying VX today in F, almost, missed the flight because there is no priority security line at A gates of SFO....

Being a long time EXP with AA I am spoiled showing up at security <30 mns and making flights almost 100%.

Figure VX needs to figure out a way to get priority security for F customers expecially.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 8:06 pm

What time were you flying?
There is priority security at the A gates most of the day (last I checked).
Also, showing up 30 min before departure in front of the TSA Circus is just asking for trouble at any airport. Your EXP status at AA might be helping you at your primary airport, but at others it might not be sufficient time. Just ask elites at Denver on a busy day. Can take 45 minutes to get through security and onto the train to get to the gates. And that's with "elite" security lanes. I miss CLEAR.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 3:03 pm

I sent an e-mail via the web site complaining about the inconsistent SFO priority line and inquiring about whether there would be more consistency in the future, noting that this factor could influence my future bookings. The site said to expect a response within 14 business days. It's been over 3 weeks, and still no response.

So I just called and asked for Guest Care (though it seemed a regular agent answered). After I explained my inquiry, she put me on hold for 8 minutes. She came back to say that a supervisor was asking around "at headquarters" to find a specific answer.

After another 3 minutes, sounding like she was reading off a script, she replied that all aspects of security screening at SFO Int'l. Terminal A, including staffing levels and potential priority lines, are the responsibility of the TSA and completely outside the control of VX. She also said, "For example, this morning we had 600 people trying to get through security in that terminal, and the line moved very slowly." So that's a reason to not consistently have a priority line?

I thanked her for checking and told her I understand the current arrangement. But I pointed out that it looks different from the customer's perspective when I know that I can fly UA and almost always be guaranteed a separate priority security line. I said I didn't know what was different with UA's relationship with TSA, but suggested that VX should similarly step up to the plate in the future at their home hub.

Conclusion: The lines will continue to be consistently inconsistent, at least until VX moves into its dedicated gates at the renovated Terminal 2.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
I sent an e-mail via the web site complaining about the inconsistent SFO priority line and inquiring about whether there would be more consistency in the future, noting that this factor could influence my future bookings.
Emphasis added was mine.

While I really really understand your frustration with inconsistent Priority lanes at the airport, if that's the reason you would/wouldn't book VX, I'm puzzled. That's really the last reason I'd book VX. Heck, you could argue then that JetBlue needs to do more since they are there too. And maybe all the Int'l carriers that fly out of that terminal could contribute to opening up and staffing an extra lane during non-peak times for VX's premium pax.

While UA's line is open most all the time, UA is the sole operator of flights in that part of the airport. AA has their own line over on their side, though I am not at all certain it is open as reliably as UAs.

Choose VX for everything else. Or don't. But Priority Lane @ TSA. Blah.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 6:29 pm

It might influence whether I find First worthwhile, especially if I know I'll be hustling to SFO at the end of the workday. No doubt, it's usually at the bottom of my list of factors, but not always, and that's not the case for everyone. And I realize that, even on the UA side, the premium lines can be sluggish.

I can also understand that VX would not guarantee priority lines in a shared terminal, which is why we'll just have to wait and see what happens once they're in T2. But I wanted to get them on record given the speculation in this thread. I was also peeved that they didn't respond to my e-mail in a timely manner.

In any case, SFO and its carriers should aspire to have generic premium lines for both Terminals A and G, given all the premium traffic on the various carriers there. It's such a modern facility in so many ways, save for that aspect. While the lines seem to be dreadful mainly during certain peak periods, it would still be nice to have that perk.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
It might influence whether I find First worthwhile, especially if I know I'll be hustling to SFO at the end of the workday. No doubt, it's usually at the bottom of my list of factors, but not always, and that's not the case for everyone. And I realize that, even on the UA side, the premium lines can be sluggish.

I can also understand that VX would not guarantee priority lines in a shared terminal, which is why we'll just have to wait and see what happens once they're in T2. But I wanted to get them on record given the speculation in this thread. I was also peeved that they didn't respond to my e-mail in a timely manner.

In any case, SFO and its carriers should aspire to have generic premium lines for both Terminals A and G, given all the premium traffic on the various carriers there. It's such a modern facility in so many ways, save for that aspect. While the lines seem to be dreadful mainly during certain peak periods, it would still be nice to have that perk.
While I agree with your frustration as well, I have to say that Terminal A has such little traffic, except during certain international flight times, which always seem to be different from the VX flight times (at least for me). I've never had to wait, even when there's no priority line.

In fact, before FlyClear went out of business, they started limiting their hours at Terminal A before all of the other terminals, because there was simply nobody there.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SFO 1K
Choose VX for everything else. Or don't. But Priority Lane @ TSA. Blah.
It's enough of a reason for very frequent flyers. Getting to the airport at about 30 minutes prior to flight is easily doable for elites flying on any airline at SFO except those flying from the international terminal. (UA is sometimes a mess but most elites know that the AA lines go to the same secured area and rarely have a wait). This is unfortunately just another way VX is demonstrating that it is disregarding very frequent flyers in favor of aviation buffs and fare sensitive leisure travelers.
Old Nov 13, 2009, 6:06 pm

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8330/4.5.0.138 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Had another positive experience at SFO this afternoon. I asked the initial document checker, "Is there a First Class line today?" She opened up a lane for me to the right of the checkpoint entrance, allowing me to bypass all the folks lined up for ID/BP check. After TSA checked my docs, I was second in line for the right-most checkpoint lane.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 10:06 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold
When is Terminal A busy with international flights. Is that late afternoon/early evening.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jeeves
When is Terminal A busy with international flights. Is that late afternoon/early evening.
That's right. I think there is another wave late in the evening as well.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Speaking of SFO, how does the baggage claim work? Is there a separate-from-customs carousel?
Old Nov 21, 2009, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Yes...

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Speaking of SFO, how does the baggage claim work? Is there a separate-from-customs carousel?
Yes, I think that there are actually two or three carousels that are not behind customs and immigration. I believe that all VX luggage always arrives on a particular carousel, but I don't remember the number.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.