Virgin America upgrades - TIP

Old Jun 17, 2011, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Thanks for the answers guys, I appreciate it.

I imagine the 'free bag' perk of upgrading to MCS would count for both sectors, am I right?

Upgrading to First sounds great, but it would be kind of tough to cough up the $213 left for me as a college student. Still, VX's First is the best in the country as I understand, so it might be worth the shot.

I could also of course upgrade the LAX-SFO leg to First. Do you guys think the experience of First is worth it, on such a short leg? Come to think of it... I would not be able to hit the T-6 check in mark for that flight anyway, since I'll already be up in the air for the IAD-LAX leg.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by christvs
Come to think of it... I would not be able to hit the T-6 check in mark for that flight anyway, since I'll already be up in the air for the IAD-LAX leg.
Wifi on Virgin. I think you can probably connect to the Virgin website via GoGo without having to pay the Wifi fee too.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Does that even work on VX? I mean, I'm already checked in, right?

I'll of course use the wifi, I have a gogo flight pass .
Old Jun 17, 2011, 9:06 pm

Programs: VX Elevate, UA 2P, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by christvs

I could also of course upgrade the LAX-SFO leg to First. Do you guys think the experience of First is worth it, on such a short leg? Come to think of it... I would not be able to hit the T-6 check in mark for that flight anyway, since I'll already be up in the air for the IAD-LAX leg.
Hi Chris,

I just flew VX SFO-LAX in F and thought it was a great experience considering the length of the flight. Water bottles waiting upon boarding with a PDB of your choice. Once airborne we were offered a small appetizer plate with fresh food. UA only serves a pretzel/snack mix. If you have the $79 to upgrade I would go for it.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 8:51 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by N334AA
Hi Chris,

I just flew VX SFO-LAX in F and thought it was a great experience considering the length of the flight. Water bottles waiting upon boarding with a PDB of your choice. Once airborne we were offered a small appetizer plate with fresh food. UA only serves a pretzel/snack mix. If you have the $79 to upgrade I would go for it.
Definitely not worth it for such a short flight - IMHO.

Last edited by DCBob; Jun 19, 2011 at 9:37 am
Old Jun 18, 2011, 6:02 pm

Short haul (e.g LAX-SFO) upgrade pricing within 6 hrs of flight:

MC to MCS: $39
MCS to FC: $39
MC to F: $79

Medium haul (e.g. LAX-DFW) and long haul (e.g LAX-JFK) have different pricing.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 12:40 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Emerald Exec., PC Plat, AA, CO, DL, UBS Charter Card, Palladium Card, Amex Plat

MC to MCS can happen at 24 hours, not 6.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 9:01 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
I would also be curious to knowmif thisnstrategynis still sound.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 9:05 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Each leg of your trip needs it's own upgrade
Old Jul 12, 2011, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA, SPG
Can you please tell me if ORD-LAX is considered Medium or Long haul for upgrades?
Old Jul 13, 2011, 12:04 am

Originally Posted by UAORD
Can you please tell me if ORD-LAX is considered Medium or Long haul for upgrades?
Long haul.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 9:54 am

Programs: UA, SPG
Thanks for the answer N334AA.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 5:04 pm

Programs: Virgin America, Jet Blue
VX - MC to MCS upgrade for 2

My wife and I are flying out on Saturday. Would like to go from MC to MCS if available. Been reading the threads. Will I be able to upgrade both seats simultaneously? Is it possible we could end up in different locations on the plane? Thanks!
Old Jul 18, 2011, 9:16 am

Programs: UA GM

Anyone know what the MC -> F or MC -> MCS upgrade price currently is for ORD - SFO?

Thanks.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 10:37 am

How much does IFE cost?

First off, MASSIVE kudos to Aviators99 for his/her continued upkeep up the FAQ thread! I wish more posters would maintain & consolidate the threads they started, rather than requiring people to read through hundreds of [mostly inane] posts to get answers. Seriously, a genuine & big thanks.

I'll be flying VX for the first time, IAD-LAX, and have a question I can't find the answer to: what are the various costs for the IFE? I'm currently debating the upgrade to MCS, under the following rationale...
  • cost: $129 x 2 ppl / 5.5 hr flight = $23.50 per hr, per person (assuming there's no additional tax on upgrade).
  • No benefit on free baggage, as we anticipate traveling with our usual 1 roll aboard, 1 personal item each.
  • When appropriate, I could outdrink a recently-dumped sailor in a country-western bar ...but our flight is approx. 09:00-11:30/14:30 to us, so 0-5 drinks, almost certainly on the lower end of that scale.
  • I'll probably watch one movie, but not likely a 2nd.
  • Pre-boarding is nice, but we're seated in middle of plane & seasoned flyers, so not worried about not getting overhead space.
  • Extra leg room is always nice, but VX already has some of the best coach-class pitch.
  • We're also staying at IAD hotel, so we should still be pretty fresh & relaxed, if not still blissfully semi-conscious, by the time we get to the airport.

Given all this and assuming drinks are $10 (and I have 2), movies are $13, that leaves about $100 to get expedited check-in/boarding and go from a very-good seat to a very, very good seat. Aside from accurate IF fees, what am I missing in the equation?

Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.