Virgin America upgrades - TIP

Old May 26, 2011, 8:54 am

I dont see the rates anywhere online. Does anyone know what the coast-to-coast charge is for MC-MCS and MCS-F?
Old May 26, 2011, 6:08 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Emerald Exec., PC Plat, AA, CO, DL, UBS Charter Card, Palladium Card, Amex Plat
It changed as of yesterday... Previously(Now) MC<MCS=$110($129) MC<F=$270($299)
Old May 26, 2011, 6:11 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Emerald Exec., PC Plat, AA, CO, DL, UBS Charter Card, Palladium Card, Amex Plat
Old May 26, 2011, 9:44 pm

They are desperate for revenue, lets hope they dont push up that bag fee. Id say seat selection fees will be next.
Old May 26, 2011, 10:59 pm

Connecting Flight Upgrade

I'm flying LAX-SFO then SFO-BOS.

When do I upgrade for the SFO-BOS leg. 6 hours before it leaves SFO or 6 hours before I leave LAX?
Old May 30, 2011, 10:23 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by misra
I'm flying LAX-SFO then SFO-BOS.

When do I upgrade for the SFO-BOS leg. 6 hours before it leaves SFO or 6 hours before I leave LAX?
Good question. I am flying LAS-SFO then SFO-IAD. If I don't get an answer, I will wait until 6 hours before SFO-IAD departs.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 12:32 pm

I had an interesting experience today. Two of us flying together on a coast-to-coast flight. First class availability was at two seats for over a week, and then dropped to one last night. At 6 hours and 15 minutes before flight time, suddenly two more seats appear on the first class seat map (now 3 available). However, at the 6 hour mark, I am told no upgrade seats are available. I go back to the "book reservations" screen, and I can see from the seat mapthat a MCS passenger has already upgraded, but there are still two open F seats, and F seats are being sold.

After a phone call to VX reservations, I was able to get that upgrade. It took a little prodding - I was first told I was not inside the 6 hour window, and that is why nothing was available. When I mentioned it was inside 6 hours, somehow the seats were released and I got the upgrade. The agent could not explain why I could not do this online.

My conclusion - since I can't think of anything else - is that the MCS passenger who snagged the upgrade ahead of me had booked two fully refundable F seats, and then cancelled the reservation 15 minutes before the 6 hour mark, thinking this would assure himself of the upgrade availability. Pretty slimy thing to do if it is true. It also seems to me that to prevent this kind of gaming the system, cancelled F seats must only be available for sale and not upgrade. All speculation, but the agent had no explanation, and I can't think of anything else that makes sense.

I only wish I was able to get the upgrade, and the guy that tried to game the system was denied...
Old Jun 1, 2011, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by BeantownFlyer
I had an interesting experience today. Two of us flying together on a coast-to-coast flight. First class availability was at two seats for over a week, and then dropped to one last night. At 6 hours and 15 minutes before flight time, suddenly two more seats appear on the first class seat map (now 3 available). However, at the 6 hour mark, I am told no upgrade seats are available. I go back to the "book reservations" screen, and I can see from the seat mapthat a MCS passenger has already upgraded, but there are still two open F seats, and F seats are being sold.

After a phone call to VX reservations, I was able to get that upgrade. It took a little prodding - I was first told I was not inside the 6 hour window, and that is why nothing was available. When I mentioned it was inside 6 hours, somehow the seats were released and I got the upgrade. The agent could not explain why I could not do this online.

My conclusion - since I can't think of anything else - is that the MCS passenger who snagged the upgrade ahead of me had booked two fully refundable F seats, and then cancelled the reservation 15 minutes before the 6 hour mark, thinking this would assure himself of the upgrade availability. Pretty slimy thing to do if it is true. It also seems to me that to prevent this kind of gaming the system, cancelled F seats must only be available for sale and not upgrade. All speculation, but the agent had no explanation, and I can't think of anything else that makes sense.

I only wish I was able to get the upgrade, and the guy that tried to game the system was denied...
Why would he book 2 refundable F seats when he was (obviously) only looking to upgrade himself? Kind of throws your theory away right there.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by mlad1101
Kind of throws your theory away right there.
Haha, I hate when that happens. And the better explanation is?
Old Jun 1, 2011, 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by BeantownFlyer
Haha, I hate when that happens. And the better explanation is?
I don't have the definitive answer could be business travelers canceling last minute, a seat blocked for possible FAM that was opened up etc. Airlines have Revenue Protection units that are pretty good at catching on to things like what you suggested.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 11:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
I've seen similar fluctuations like this in F within 24 hours of departure. My guess is that this usually involves business people who have constantly changing plans. Meetings get pushed back, they stay extra day or two at their destination -- that sort of thing.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 5:41 am

I think my point was missed. F seats that were reserved and then cancelled within some window do not appear to get returned to the bucket for upgrade availability. These two seats showed as available for sale, but not upgrade.

Assuming I am correct, it appears to be a safeguard against phony bookings to try to create an upgrade opportunity. As noted in my original post, a telephone agent was able to get me the seats.

And I still think the timing was awfully coincidental, but that doesn't really matter.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 8:00 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Hey guys,

I have a couple of questions regarding upgrades as well. I'm currently booked in Main Cabin on a IAD-LAX-SFO trip. I have a $87 credit file with VX. Could I use that credit file towards an upgrade to MCS and pay the remainder of the upgrade by CC?

Will the upgrade count for both sectors? Or will the upgrade only count for the first leg?
Old Jun 16, 2011, 9:10 pm

First question yes.

Don't know about second.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 6:49 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by christvs
Will the upgrade count for both sectors? Or will the upgrade only count for the first leg?
No, each leg must be upgraded separately and the cost is based on the distance traveled on each leg. To upgrade to MCS, it will cost you $129 for IAD-LAX and $39 for LAX-SFO. When I flew, I upgraded to MCS from LAS-SFO ($39) and to First from SFO-IAD ($299). If you have the money, definitely upgrade to First on the flight to IAD.

Last edited by DCBob; Jun 17, 2011 at 6:59 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.