Virgin America upgrades - TIP

Old Apr 16, 2011, 11:15 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Emerald Exec., PC Plat, AA, CO, DL, UBS Charter Card, Palladium Card, Amex Plat
It is the same price to upgrade from MC>F as it is to from MC>MCS>F combined.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 8:24 am

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mlad1101
It is the same price to upgrade from MC>F as it is to from MC>MCS>F combined.
Then, should one not upgrade to MCS at 24 hours and try F at 6? That way, you at least get MCS (if you end up not getting F).
Old Apr 17, 2011, 10:57 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
Originally Posted by vatraveler
Then, should one not upgrade to MCS at 24 hours and try F at 6?
That assumes you think MCS is worth it. Seems like an expensive upgrade to me (though you do get 1 free checked bag).
Old Apr 17, 2011, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by vatraveler
Then, should one not upgrade to MCS at 24 hours and try F at 6? That way, you at least get MCS (if you end up not getting F).
Yes
Old Apr 26, 2011, 9:04 pm

Programs: Enough to travel better
Originally Posted by OverThereTooMuch
That assumes you think MCS is worth it. Seems like an expensive upgrade to me (though you do get 1 free checked bag).
Upgrade to MCS is more than just a free bag. You get more legroom, a dedicated overhead carryon bin, all the drinks are free, all the meals are free on demand and all the IFE is free on demand.
Old May 2, 2011, 1:35 am

Programs: LHW
Anyone know if your upgrade price if you do this 24 hours before hand online will get you 2 free bags like it will if you do it @ check in?
Old May 2, 2011, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by ggg05a
Anyone know if your upgrade price if you do this 24 hours before hand online will get you 2 free bags like it will if you do it @ check in?
Yes, of course.
Old May 4, 2011, 4:58 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Emerald Exec., PC Plat, AA, CO, DL, UBS Charter Card, Palladium Card, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by ggg05a
No.(Unless you're confused.) The only upgrade that you can get at T-24 is MCS, that includes ONE free bag not two. FC gets you 2, but that can only be done at T-6.
Old May 7, 2011, 8:06 pm

Programs: LHW
Originally Posted by mlad1101
No.(Unless you're confused.) The only upgrade that you can get at T-24 is MCS, that includes ONE free bag not two. FC gets you 2, but that can only be done at T-6.
Basically, wait 6 hours before departure, and then upgrade to FC. Its a half/long haul (LAX->DFW) so $60 to get on and off first seems worth it to me.

MCS isn't horrible as its a trans-con but still $30 for MCS or $60 for FC seems like no brainer to me.

Thanks for the tips and advice.
Old May 7, 2011, 10:04 pm

Programs: Premier, Marriott Gold, Alamo Race Car tester
so on the 24 hour mark, can I upgrade to MCS, pay for it, then at the 6 hour mark, try for F? Or is this a 1 shot deal?

Thanks!
Old May 8, 2011, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by tomme12
so on the 24 hour mark, can I upgrade to MCS, pay for it, then at the 6 hour mark, try for F? Or is this a 1 shot deal?

Thanks!
You can
Old May 15, 2011, 11:29 pm

I flew Virgin for the 1st time Super Bowl Sunday SFO-DFW, and bar none, this is the best bang for the buck, even when purchased 4 days before the flight leaves. Upgrade to FC was $110, got first choice on food, excellent IFE, baggage free, and excellent service. Right now Virgin America is the best kept secret out there. No regrets giving up AA for this. We requested wheelchair service at our arrival destinations and it was waiting for us when we got there.

The only negative was I had to bypass my local SMF and drive to SFO to take advantage of Virgin. But since AA wanted an arm and a leg for coach and Virgin was available for a third of the price from SFO before upgrading, it was worth the drive, both ways. Wouldn't do it before, but now I'm more than willing to drive an extra 2 hours for what Virgin offers flyers.

Upgrading online was simple for SFO-DFW to Main Class Select, but I waited until I got to the airport for the FC upgrade. So unless things have recently changed, here is where they get you > once you upgrade to Select, you cannot upgrade to First online. You have to do it at the airport. The other option is to buy coach and wait until the FC window opens, then hope seats are available. The negative to that is the Select seats may be full by then. I opted to at least guarantee I had Select seats, willing to forgo FC seats if they sold out before I got to the airport. And just like today, Virgin had computer issues on the return flight. Thankfully I called their customer service who took care of the upgrade over the phone. I am very pleased with Virgin.
Old May 25, 2011, 1:50 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Starwood Gold, Fairmont Platinum
I am still a bit confused about the upgrade. Once you upgrade from MC to MCS online within the 24 hour window, does it mean that you can't upgrade online to FC within the 6 hour window (i.e. you have to do the FC upgrade at the airport or phone as canddmeyer indicates below)?

Originally Posted by canddmeyer
I flew Virgin for the 1st time Super Bowl Sunday SFO-DFW, and bar none, this is the best bang for the buck, even when purchased 4 days before the flight leaves. Upgrade to FC was $110, got first choice on food, excellent IFE, baggage free, and excellent service. Right now Virgin America is the best kept secret out there. No regrets giving up AA for this. We requested wheelchair service at our arrival destinations and it was waiting for us when we got there.

The only negative was I had to bypass my local SMF and drive to SFO to take advantage of Virgin. But since AA wanted an arm and a leg for coach and Virgin was available for a third of the price from SFO before upgrading, it was worth the drive, both ways. Wouldn't do it before, but now I'm more than willing to drive an extra 2 hours for what Virgin offers flyers.

Upgrading online was simple for SFO-DFW to Main Class Select, but I waited until I got to the airport for the FC upgrade. So unless things have recently changed, here is where they get you > once you upgrade to Select, you cannot upgrade to First online. You have to do it at the airport. The other option is to buy coach and wait until the FC window opens, then hope seats are available. The negative to that is the Select seats may be full by then. I opted to at least guarantee I had Select seats, willing to forgo FC seats if they sold out before I got to the airport. And just like today, Virgin had computer issues on the return flight. Thankfully I called their customer service who took care of the upgrade over the phone. I am very pleased with Virgin.
Old May 25, 2011, 8:36 pm

Programs: AS 75K Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LT Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, National EE
The upgrade from MC to MCS today was $39 for SAN-SFO route. This is up from $35. When did these prices change?
Old May 26, 2011, 8:28 am

Yesterday

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.