Old Oct 25, 2015, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aw
Listing of Trip Reports Written About VX / Virgin America
NOTE: Wikis are community property; please help update the information in this wiki.

Just post a link to your Trip Report, or write a mini report of your Virgin America trip in this thread so a link can be added here.

JFK
LAS
SAN
SEA
SFO
YYZ
General
Virgin America: remove the makeup and you'll find ugly
Virgin America - Lots of hype, not much substance
Which is Better: United Economy Plus or Virgin America Main Cabin?
Is Virgin America New Y Seat Better Than SQ New Y?
Goodbye TED!

(Thanks, AZ Travels the World, for re-titling this thread. Please add your links below, to Trip Reports or VX mini report threads. ^)

Last updated 27 Jul 2010 by BiziBB.

Thanks to BiziBB, who started this thread, and ShortHairFrancis.
Print Wikipost

VX Trip Reports [Master Thread]

Old Sep 15, 2015, 9:21 pm

My first VX F experience was a last-second upgrade LAX-SFO. Glad I burned the $40 because not only did I get to sit with one of my favorite musicians, but I ended up chatting with and dating one of the FAs. I try not to fly anyone else domestically anymore (I mean I'll try the A321t if the opp presents itself but that's not usually one of my routes).
Old Sep 26, 2015, 7:13 pm

Programs: DL DM
JFK-LAX F menu

FYI. Sorry, not the best photo.

Please seme http://i.imgur.com/wTBqsg8.jpg

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 25, 2015 at 8:41 pm Reason: Redacted oversized embedded image; left link.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 4:18 am
Suspended

Programs: VX Gold
Originally Posted by pesos
My first VX F experience was a last-second upgrade LAX-SFO. Glad I burned the $40 because not only did I get to sit with one of my favorite musicians, but I ended up chatting with and dating one of the FAs. I try not to fly anyone else domestically anymore (I mean I'll try the A321t if the opp presents itself but that's not usually one of my routes).
Nice!
Old Oct 25, 2015, 8:46 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
We have taken the first post, by BiziBB, who stalwartly maintained the OP through July 2010, and added it to a wikipost. Now, you're not dependent on one member to bear the burden of updating the original post; the community can spread the work of updating the information according to interests and areas of expertise. As the wiki says:

Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
It's all yours now. ^

JDiver
Senior Moderator
Old Oct 25, 2015, 11:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Disc
I had a very nice flight experience today. I was sitting in MCS on a SFO-ORD flight that was overbooked (they were seeking volunteers before boarding). A flight attendant came back to me with a boarding pass for 1C and asked if, with my Gold status, I wouldn't mind moving to first since the main cabin was overfull. That's the first time I've gotten a totally free upgrade to F on VX. Also the first time I've taken a non-morning eastbound flight since the menu changed -- the Korean short rib dish was quite good.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 1:42 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K / AA EXP / VX Gold / WOH Globalist / SPG Gold / HHonors Gold
First time flyer on VX - HNLSFO

HNLSFO - VX Flight 50 - 11/20
SFOHNL - VX Flight 51 - 11/22

The fiancee and I had a wonderful time flying HNL-SFO and back in F (this was actually the first time the fiancee ever flew in F as well as on VX).

Inflight Crew - The best we've ever had. Our flight attendants (HNLSFO: Paul? SFOHNL: Kai) were excellent and very personable - without hesitation, they were the best flight attendants we've ever flown with.

Food - The food was excellent, although I preferred the lunch/dinner menu over the breakfast menu for the only fact that I'm not a morning person (and a 7:45AM flight has its challenges for me). But both meals were fantastic - the fiancee gave her glowing approval.

Seats - Very nice. The fiancee said that this was her favorite part of the flights. It didn't matter to us that they weren't lie-flat because they were got pretty far down - the seating adjustments were more than adequate to get us comfortable.

Ground staff - They were very pleasant, and that was an oddity for us. Other airlines' ground staff are typically hostile (and we don't consider ourselves as PITA customers in any way), but VX ground staff were very nice to everyone. It's sad that this is considered a rarity nowadays, but big points to VX!

Only request - Honolulu needs more flights to the West Coast, and VX has a single HNLSFO flight at this time. I understand that HNLLAX flights will eventually come our way when the new batch of A320's are brought in; but we definitely need a Red Eye flight to SFO in order to hop on to connecting flights. Should VX add new flights, they will be a welcome competitor for our Transpac market (which we definitely need in Hawaii).

Bottom line: Highly impressed with VX's product. The fiancee says that VX has spoiled her for life (and she's a Hawaiian Air devotee).

Last edited by StirredNotShaken; Nov 23, 2015 at 1:44 pm Reason: Grammar... grammar...
Old Dec 7, 2015, 4:56 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Alaska MVP, Delta Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by StirredNotShaken

Ground staff - They were very pleasant, and that was an oddity for us. Other airlines' ground staff are typically hostile (and we don't consider ourselves as PITA customers in any way), but VX ground staff were very nice to everyone. It's sad that this is considered a rarity nowadays, but big points to VX!

Bottom line: Highly impressed with VX's product. The fiancee says that VX has spoiled her for life (and she's a Hawaiian Air devotee).
Just came back from their first flights to OGG and had an equally wonderful experience, though we were in MCS outbound and MC on the way back. FYI, the VX ground crew in Hawaii are actually contracted HA staff (at least for the time being) which may explain why they're throwing so much aloha at the travelers. I spoke with one of them for awhile and it sounds like Hawaiian is actually happy to see them running these routes. She said the way they figure, VX is going to poach flyers from other airlines but not as much from HA.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by socalgecko
Just came back from their first flights to OGG and had an equally wonderful experience, though we were in MCS outbound and MC on the way back. FYI, the VX ground crew in Hawaii are actually contracted HA staff (at least for the time being) which may explain why they're throwing so much aloha at the travelers. I spoke with one of them for awhile and it sounds like Hawaiian is actually happy to see them running these routes. She said the way they figure, VX is going to poach flyers from other airlines but not as much from HA.
Interesting. I just flew Hawaiian first HNL-SEA and while it was fine, I still prefer Virgin overall. Going HNL-SFO in January. Hoping their overwater wifi is up by then, but I don't think it will be.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 12:09 am

The fiancee and I had a wonderful time flying HNL-SFO and back in F (this was actually the first time the fiancee ever flew in F as well as on VX).

Inflight Crew - The best we've ever had. Our flight attendants (HNLSFO: Paul? SFOHNL: Kai) were excellent and very personable - without hesitation, they were the best flight attendants we've ever flown with.

Food - The food was excellent, although I preferred the lunch/dinner menu over the breakfast menu for the only fact that I'm not a morning person (and a 7:45AM flight has its challenges for me). But both meals were fantastic - the fiancee gave her glowing approval.

Seats - Very nice. The fiancee said that this was her favorite part of the flights. It didn't matter to us that they weren't lie-flat because they were got pretty far down - the seating adjustments were more than adequate to get us comfortable.

Only request - Honolulu needs more flights to the West Coast, and VX has a single HNLSFO flight at this time. I understand that HNLLAX flights will eventually come our way when the new batch of A320's are brought in; but we definitely need a Red Eye flight to SFO in order to hop on to connecting flights. Should VX add new flights, they will be a welcome competitor for our Transpac market (which we definitely need in Hawaii).

I just got off this flight in F, the food was ok, but the inflight entertainment was really lacking. Not many movies to choose between and not many options for TV shows. I know they normally rely on streaming satellite TV, but they need to add more content for a 6 hour flight with no other options.

Great service, but they seemed to board the employees (non-revs) before F, which doesn't seem right. Loved the enforcement of F bins for only F pax, though.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 4:44 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K / AA EXP / VX Gold / WOH Globalist / SPG Gold / HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Frindle
Great service, but they seemed to board the employees (non-revs) before F, which doesn't seem right. Loved the enforcement of F bins for only F pax, though.
When we flew HNLSFO and back, F was boarded first then non-rev's/employees. Perhaps your flight had a deadhead crew? (not sure of VX's boarding rules, but HA's deadheads board before all non-revs including Execs)

I'm flying F again in a couple of weeks, so I'll see if anything's changed.

The reserved F overhead bins were indeed a great thing.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 10:05 pm

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
Had an awesome crew on SFO ORD today. Showed up 32 minutes before departure and my bag was accepted for checkin with no guarantees. It made the flight and despite ground delays and inbound delays we made it in time. At one point our ground speed was > 570 kts.

In 1D, great breakfast with the In Flight Team Leader, who was a new recruit a great experience.

I'll be sending kudos via the contact email.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 10:49 am

When we flew HNLSFO and back, F was boarded first then non-rev's/employees. Perhaps your flight had a deadhead crew? (not sure of VX's boarding rules, but HA's deadheads board before all non-revs including Execs)

I'm flying F again in a couple of weeks, so I'll see if anything's changed.

The reserved F overhead bins were indeed a great thing.
Well unless the deadhead crews all bring their significant others and friends out, I doubt it. I heard them talking about how they were out there for a few days. Granted it was a Pilot, but he was with his wife. Didn't sound like he was deadheading back, that's for sure.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by Frindle
Well unless the deadhead crews all bring their significant others and friends out, I doubt it. I heard them talking about how they were out there for a few days. Granted it was a Pilot, but he was with his wife. Didn't sound like he was deadheading back, that's for sure.
I've flown twice in F since my last post and F passengers were always the first to board in either SFO or HNL. Then yes, the non-rev's came onboard along with other rev passengers.

I can't explain why you'd be boarding after others if you are flying F. This might be something to send to VX via their webpage's "Contact Us" section.

I hope your future flights are much better.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
SFO/ORD in April, flying F
Luncheon was fabulous on both flights. The desserts weren't traditional but still good; I would enjoy ice cream on the plane but the change is nice.
Snacks in F were great.
IFE hardware and offerings are good. A few more choices would be nice but I still found good entertainment for the 4-hour flight.
F service was great as always.
I look forward to my next flight, in July.
Thanks for being a great USA airline. VX deserved every cent they got from AS.
Old Sep 3, 2016, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
VX F SFO-ord on 9/1
Flight was great and staffing was lovely.
PDB was nicely done.
Luncheon was chicken or pasta. My son had PBJ.
Snacks aren't on menu any longer except the D&D mention of assorted snacks but FA brought out a tray and let F pax choose. Now I did ask for chips and nuts during first drink service (after takeoff). FA asked if I wanted it pre or post luncheon. So it's hard to know if the tray would have still been brought out.
Luncheon dessert was lemon tart so I requested cookies instead.
Caramel popcorn wasn't part of the mix.

IFE had more choices than in July, the last time I flew.
And my bags came out early enough at ORD - no complaints.

I'm glad that FAs can still wear the virgin tshirt because it's probably more comfortable than a uniform top.
Oh and F FA did mention on PA that rear bathroom was for all in rows 3 onwards.

So still worth it - it felt like other 2015-2016 flights.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.