Change Fee benefit on Alaska Visa?

Old Aug 24, 2017, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, Emirates Skywards
Change Fee benefit on Alaska Visa?

I'm a gold elevate member who has been dragging my feet on converting my account because I absolutely TREASURE the waived change fees when buying VX tickets using the VX Visa. I don't see any sign that the AS Bank of America has such a benefit, which worries me because I make a change on at least a third of my flights. Anyone know if there's anyway to avoid change fees as a Mileage Plan member?
Old Aug 24, 2017, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Shoppish
I'm a gold elevate member who has been dragging my feet on converting my account because I absolutely TREASURE the waived change fees when buying VX tickets using the VX Visa. I don't see any sign that the AS Bank of America has such a benefit, which worries me because I make a change on at least a third of my flights. Anyone know if there's anyway to avoid change fees as a Mileage Plan member?
As an Elevate Gold you should cross to AS MVPGold or maybe MVP75K if enough miles flown. AS Gold and 75K have change fees waived if booked on AS ticket stock.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...rship-benefits
Old Aug 28, 2017, 5:28 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
.. and it covers changes for tickets booked BY you for others, including mileage tickets.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 9:02 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Shoppish
There are no change fee waivers on the credit card alone as was the case with the VX visa--only for MVP Gold status and higher as mentioned above--with no relation to the credit card used.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
.. and it covers changes for tickets booked BY you for others, including mileage tickets.
The change/fees are waived on mileage tickets when coming from a Gold or Gold 75K member's account, but fees are not waived for purchased tickets for non-Gold/G75K members, even if it's a Gold/G75K who purchased it.

The actual traveler has to have that status to receive those waivers on purchased tickets.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 9:10 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Snow, I must be special then because I've been able to change them online without a fee.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 12:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
Snow, I must be special then because I've been able to change them online without a fee.
Snowdevil is correct. Change fees for revenue tickets on AS are charged for pax who do not hold refundable tickets, or at least MVPG or higher. Companions are charged, per policy and my experience.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 8:53 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
No idea if this is meaningful, but I purchased my first AS ticket about a week ago about two weeks in advance of the flight, and the rules said "one change is allowed" or something to that affect. I recall being surprised by it, but didnt't investigate any further.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 2:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by gooseman13
No idea if this is meaningful, but I purchased my first AS ticket about a week ago about two weeks in advance of the flight, and the rules said "one change is allowed" or something to that affect. I recall being surprised by it, but didnt't investigate any further.
Should have said something along the lines of "one change within 24 hours of purchase".
Old Sep 1, 2017, 9:06 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Ah maybe that was it, I just looked at changing it and it appeared to charge a change fee.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Nope, the Comenity fee waiver for a single no-fee change to paid tickets does not exist at AS.

However if you see a fare reduction you can get an airfare credit for the fare difference that you can use on another flight. So it's not all bad news...

WN is the only other airlines that offers no change fees on revenue tickets. Though this is of less value as travel dates approach, since you usually get socked with a higher fare on the new flight.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.