Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Virgin America | Elevate pre 2018
Reload this Page >

VX no longer allowing automatic Gold upgrades to MCS?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2017, 9:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL DM; EK SLV; HHonors DIAM; Marriott GLD

As Gold elite, just got off the phone w/ VX customer service, trying to figure out why I was being asked to pay for an upgrade to Main Cabin Select, which has always been a comp at the 24-hour window.

Was informed that Alaska Airlines has made a lot of unannounced changes to the program, including the fact that they are now holding back a limited number of MCS & F seats from the Gold comp upgrade program.

Is this true?
Old Jun 22, 2017, 10:18 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

I thought that VX holds back a few MCS seats from auto-upgrade. If not sold, they are processed at the gate.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dayone
I thought that VX holds back a few MCS seats from auto-upgrade. If not sold, they are processed at the gate.
Thanks. That sounds consistent with what the VX phone rep told me... I guess I have just been lucky enough never to encounter that situation on any of my flights.

That qualifier doesn't appear to be disclosed anywhere in the description of the Elevate Gold program benefits.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by HKG_Flyer1
Thanks. That sounds consistent with what the VX phone rep told me... I guess I have just been lucky enough never to encounter that situation on any of my flights.

That qualifier doesn't appear to be disclosed anywhere in the description of the Elevate Gold program benefits.
I don't think it has to be. No program offers, as a matter of right, last seat availability on comp upgrades. The last one that I know that did was AS, several years ago, when the MVPG upgrades booked into F.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I don't think it has to be. No program offers, as a matter of right, last seat availability on comp upgrades. The last one that I know that did was AS, several years ago, when the MVPG upgrades booked into F.
Fair point.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 7:45 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

I was auto-upgraded to MCS at the Silver 12-hour window. And I'm on an award ticket, which I though wasn't eligible for comp upgrades.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

Follow-up: I paid the upgrade fee, then filed for refund.

VX refunded it after the fact.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 4:58 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
dayone - I wonder if that's one of the Alaska changes, since we have been able to upgrade now as MVP/+ on award tickets on AS - maybe its now happening for VX elites on VX award tickets too?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.