Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Virgin America | Elevate pre 2018
Reload this Page >

Does VX honestly expect to sell at these prices..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2017, 9:52 pm
Original Poster

So I'm going to be in SoCal in mid/late November and decided to check tickets to get back to Florida. Low and behold Virgin America literally has from the 16th-29th at only full fare refundable prices.

I can get Jetblue Mint for $450. Do Virgin honestly expect people to pay almost double for a economy ticket or quadruple for a first class ticket one-way?

I could understand if this was a last minute ticket on the day before Thanksgiving, but to block 2 weeks at refundable prices makes zero sense to me. Needless to say the seatmaps are completely wide open.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 10:47 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
With Mint in the market now, there is absolutely no reason to take VX. VX prices holidays at ridiculous prices and then when nobody buys tickets, they lower the prices as it gets closer and they realize that it is a holiday and their flights are empty. They have been doing that for a few years now--but now I don't even bother with them for transcons. I just buy the Mint seats, have a much better experience, and save lots of money.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 11:17 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

VX defaults to premium pricing around holidays. Fares usually will decrease based on load as it gets closer to departure. Three months prior is a good time to recheck.

As noted, if Mint is cheaper or the same price, fly Mint.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dayone
VX defaults to premium pricing around holidays. Fares usually will decrease based on load as it gets closer to departure. Three months prior is a good time to recheck.

As noted, if Mint is cheaper or the same price, fly Mint.
Thanksgiving is 1 day. They literally have a full 2 weeks set to this premium pricing. I booked mint.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 11:27 am

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgi...inventory.html
Old Apr 19, 2017, 1:23 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
As noted, these prices generally won't stay there. Historically, towards the end of summer/start of fall they start releasing inventory. In the meantime, if there's a must-have flight you can book it and refund/rebook later
Old Apr 19, 2017, 1:59 pm

I bet they do sell some at those prices.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
So this is why my flight a couple of months ago was completely empty, except for 3 pax! This was on the JFK-FLL route and I thought empty aircraft were unheard of in the US these days.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
As noted, these prices generally won't stay there. Historically, towards the end of summer/start of fall they start releasing inventory. In the meantime, if there's a must-have flight you can book it and refund/rebook later
Hadn't thought of refunding and then re-booking later down the line. Oh Well it wasn't necessarily a must have; I just was surprised especially when every other carrier is like $250 coach and $475 FC. I opted for Mint lie flat.

Originally Posted by JumboJet
I bet they do sell some at those prices.
More power to them, if they got people to buy a one way coach fare for $800.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 3:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Plat, VX Gold, VS Gold, HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Marriott Gold
VX always ends up putting FC & MCS on sale over Holidays when it gets close in....this will happen again here unless AS revenue management starts taking control.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 3:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Plat, VX Gold, VS Gold, HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Marriott Gold
VX always ends up putting FC & MCS on sale over Holidays when it gets close in....this will happen again here unless AS revenue management starts taking control.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 4:14 pm

VX also tried to sell LAX-JFK transcon for much higher price than other carriers with flat bed in the front cabin....

I used my AS miles to book F for LAX-JFK flight... there is no way I overpay with my cash for inferior product. (although 25000 AS miles one-way is not a bad deal)
Old Apr 19, 2017, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc
VX also tried to sell LAX-JFK transcon for much higher price than other carriers with flat bed in the front cabin....

I used my AS miles to book F for LAX-JFK flight... there is no way I overpay with my cash for inferior product. (although 25000 AS miles one-way is not a bad deal)
My next SFO/JFK is in Mint (paid) outbound and VX (AS F 25K award) return. If the fare on the return comes way down, I'll buy a ticket and refund the award. My last few SFO/JFK have been on AA (and one DL segment) for a fraction of the VX price.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 10:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MVPG, DL Silver, United Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
My next SFO/JFK is in Mint (paid) outbound and VX (AS F 25K award) return. If the fare on the return comes way down, I'll buy a ticket and refund the award. My last few SFO/JFK have been on AA (and one DL segment) for a fraction of the VX price.
I've done a couple AS 25K VX F awards when VX F pricing has been high. It's a great deal on the trancons.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 8:44 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Yellowjj
Hadn't thought of refunding and then re-booking later down the line. Oh Well it wasn't necessarily a must have; I just was surprised especially when every other carrier is like $250 coach and $475 FC. I opted for Mint lie flat.

More power to them, if they got people to buy a one way coach fare for $800.
You still made the rational choice. VX will not lower the F price down to $449 anyway so why pay more for an inferior product and have to loan them your money for over a half year on top of it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.