Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Virgin America | Elevate pre 2018
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on the current state of the VX Experience?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thoughts on the current state of the VX Experience?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2017, 9:02 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by HKG_Flyer1
Ugh... I've experienced that on some American carriers. Which ones engage in such a practice most often? Which ones don't?
Virgin and JetBlue can advertise on their TV screens predeparture. AS has no seat back video so when they hawk the cards, they have to do it verbally.

Last edited by sfozrhfco; Jun 9, 2017 at 9:07 am
Old Jun 9, 2017, 9:03 am

Another call center face plant. Called to try to use up the rest of my miles on a Hawaiian award. The "Gold" agent had no idea what booking an elevate award on Hawaiian Airlines meant. After going around in circles, finally had to give up and call back. It seems like they seriously forward calls to random people on the street and ask them to answer the phone for them.

Last edited by sfozrhfco; Jun 9, 2017 at 9:10 am
Old Jun 13, 2017, 12:30 pm

Wow, the new Alaska/Virgin America merger is really bringing down what has for the past few years been my go to airline. Little things have been bugging me and when you add them all up, it's really upsetting. While I am comforted in the fact that I am not the only one, I am now left with the decision to either look for an airline to switch to or just endure these issues in the hopes that they can figure it out.

Last night I flew from DCA-SFO-LAX. Both legs of my flight were delayed, I was unable to get an aisle seat (this has never happened to me in probably 100 flights when it was only Virgin America. In fact, I would say 75% of the time I was moved to an aisle in MCS).

When you call the Gold line to ask about anything, it seems like I know the rules and regulations better than the people I speak with. You would think that they would put the most informed employees on this line, but this has definitely been hit or miss when it comes to knowing what the policies are. This was never their strongest point, but I would gladly take whatever their weakest point was when they were only Virgin America over what it has become.

To top this all off, my bags were lost. This is another thing that never, ever happened on a Virgin America flight before. It has happened with Alaska though and I have flown them maybe about 5 times in my life.

I called this am to get an update and they just told me they know nothing. Not only that, but they really couldn't give me an idea of what would happen. I have so much in between those 2 bags that I need. They did inform me after asking that I can get essentials but made sure to emphasize within reason. I was a little annoyed by that. Yeah, I need my toothbrush and stuff but what about the sentimental things packed that can't be replaced? What about my medications?

The response just gave me an overall low expectation for them handling this and what will happen if they do not find my bags. Even if they give me some sort of reimbursement, I doubt it will be enough and then I have to take my time to go replace these things.

Hopefully they find them and all will be good, but I am definitely very concerned about the future of this airline.

For anyone else that feels the same, can you offer any suggestions on where you have looked to move your business to? I travel a lot for work and mainly in major west coast cities plus NY and DC. I don't think JetBlue is an option because they have a limited routes, but I am not really big on any other domestic carriers.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I just had my first VX flight in a while (JFK/SFO in F) and it was lovely. Food was decent, crew was great, seats and IFE worked properly.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 9:30 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
I recently received a $25 flight compensation credit, for a flight that arrived early. Granted, we did have to wait 30 minutes for the gate to clear before we could deplane, but now I have $25 towards a future VX flight. Is automatic flight compensation normal?
Old Jun 26, 2017, 1:44 pm

Programs: AA, DL Platinum, AS, AF/KL, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
Was somewhat disappointed on a recent FC LAX-HNL r/t itinerary. The move selection was surprisingly meager compared to AA, the carrier I usually fly. The TV selection was even worse. Only about 10 different choices that included multiple Andrew Dice Clay episodes? Seriously, VX? I'm sure the distributer had those as part of the bargain package. The food choices were lacking on the return (salmon and a curry-based veggie dish) with no children's meal options - we got them to give us a "Jet Set Kid Pack" from the back. For the $1,800+ I paid per seat, they could've upped the cuisine. It's also disappointing there's no use of a lounge in HNL.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Another call center face plant. Called to try to use up the rest of my miles on a Hawaiian award. The "Gold" agent had no idea what booking an elevate award on Hawaiian Airlines meant. After going around in circles, finally had to give up and call back. It seems like they seriously forward calls to random people on the street and ask them to answer the phone for them.
Regular agents have never been able to do rewards bookings. You have to ask to be transferred to a specially trained booking agent. I doubt they even train the newer agents on what it even means, so they were not able to help.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by cringle
Regular agents have never been able to do rewards bookings. You have to ask to be transferred to a specially trained booking agent. I doubt they even train the newer agents on what it even means, so they were not able to help.
Sure, but in the past the agent would transfer you to the redemption desk. This agent refused to believe that it was even possible to redeem elevate points for use on Hawaiian.

Doesn't matter now though. I am down to my last 5,000 Elevate points so will be done with them soon. After largely avoiding UA for the last 17 years I actually purchased a ticket on them for an upcoming flight. When jetblue can't get me to where I am going I will just take the option that offers the best value. Not worth it to pursue VX/AS status.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
I enjoyed our recent SFO/ord F flight but both luncheon entrees were pasta - one linguini with tuna steak, the other a mac & cheese type vegetarian pasta. That was just weird but the Humphrey Slocumbe ice cream was a great dessert. And thankfully there were still snacks even if we had to proactively request them.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 9:49 pm

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
Originally Posted by Oakshadow
Was somewhat disappointed on a recent FC LAX-HNL r/t itinerary. The move selection was surprisingly meager compared to AA, the carrier I usually fly. The TV selection was even worse. Only about 10 different choices that included multiple Andrew Dice Clay episodes? Seriously, VX? I'm sure the distributer had those as part of the bargain package. The food choices were lacking on the return (salmon and a curry-based veggie dish) with no children's meal options - we got them to give us a "Jet Set Kid Pack" from the back. For the $1,800+ I paid per seat, they could've upped the cuisine. It's also disappointing there's no use of a lounge in HNL.
Huh, we may have been on the same flight.

I flew HNL-LAX on 6/19 in F. I was surprised to see the food choices limited to two mains, though the veggie curry was excellent. The entertainment selection would be limited for two flights without scraping the bottom of the "preference" barrel.

$1800 r/t for that flight...oh boy. I would have been more critical myself.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 11:05 am

For the entertainment options they seem to be allowing content contracts to expire as they will phase out red anyway. TVs did not work at all on my last award flight a week ago. An announcement was made that everybody would be getting a $25 credit. Nothing credited yet.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 8:46 pm

Programs: AA, DL Platinum, AS, AF/KL, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
For the entertainment options they seem to be allowing content contracts to expire as they will phase out red anyway. TVs did not work at all on my last award flight a week ago. An announcement was made that everybody would be getting a $25 credit. Nothing credited yet.
That is likely what is happening.

Entertainment selection was one of the BIG advantages of flying VX, front or back. Now as content selection is becoming progressively worse there is less incentive to fly VX, particularly on the routes that compete with carriers that do have excellent AVODs - every other carrier that flies LAX-JFK for example.

For those VX elites that are somewhat tied to the brand, it's going to be a tough couple of years as VX slides down to AS.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
I've always had an iPad with downloaded content in case the ife isn't functioning or if I dislike the choices. I learned this trick after years of UA :-). It can happen anywhere and it's good to have a good backup for content. I even still bring snacks even though I fly paid Discounted F when I can.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 4:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, MVPG, DL Silver, United Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by gaobest
I've always had an iPad with downloaded content in case the ife isn't functioning or if I dislike the choices. I learned this trick after years of UA :-). It can happen anywhere and it's good to have a good backup for content. I even still bring snacks even though I fly paid Discounted F when I can.
I've done the same thing as you never know when the IFE goes out - having said that, the RED system by VX has always been great and convenient. A consistent and great IEF system in coach was the realm of VX and B6 and I'm really going to miss that about VX as the airlines slowly dissolves. It's one of the things that differentiated VX from the legacy and LCC's. The VX system is still even a little more advanced that B6 (on demand dinning, etc) - what an innovative loss.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 6:49 am

It seems now AS is not paying the bill for Dish network. Had another award flight yesterday and none of the live channels were even listed as options. Only the LinkedIn channel, Virgin station, the Giants station, and Disney were options. After talking to the flight attendant other people around me also mentioned this is an ongoing trend. Either provide the product or don't but don't use the death by 1,000 cuts method and expect nobody to notice.

Still a bit annoyed after my last flight that the flight attendants announced we would all get $25 each as the system was completely down but then they did not give the credit proactively as promised. After two complaint submissions, only I got the $25 as I am gold. My travel companion still has nothing. Again, why make a promise and then not follow though?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.