LAX Terminal move

Old Mar 23, 2017, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by dayone
LAX Terminal Operations Center newsletter (circa 10/2015).
Thanks. Yes, it is "a" source, but I've seen this and it was promised as coming soon... 2 years ago. Wondering if there were any recent developments with all the LAX moves.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 5:45 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Alaska MVP, Delta Gold, AA Gold
Straight from the horse's mouth:

Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) Terminal Move
Thursday, March 23, 2017​

On May 12 2017, Virgin America will move its location at Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) from Terminal 3 to Terminal 6. As of May 13 2017, Virgin America will be co-located with Alaska Airlines in T6, allowing for more seamless flight connections across the combined airline's network. Although the move will result in closing Virgin America's Loft, Virgin America First Class guests and Elevate Gold members will have complimentary access and Elevate Silver members will be granted access at a reduced rate to the Alaska Lounge in T6 through 2017. Beginning in 2018, all guests will be invited to become an Alaska Lounge member.

https://www.virginamerica.com/cms/traveler-alerts
Old Mar 26, 2017, 3:09 am

With the coming VX T3 to T6 move, will it be less hassle for connecting from International to an VX domestic flight with the TBIT-T4 connector?

My first ever visit to LAX will be in coming October by JL NRT-LAX and connect to a VX LAX-LAS. They are on separate reservations so I cannot check-thru to LAS.

So transit "path" should be: Deplane->Immigration->Baggage Claim->Connecting Desk->TBIT-T4-T5-T6 Tunnel->T6?

Is there connecting desk at TBIT so I can check my luggage and collect BP for VX flight?

Any security screening I need to go thru?

Please pardon me if it is not the right place to ask airport transit questions.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by lewisyu
With the coming VX T3 to T6 move, will it be less hassle for connecting from International to an VX domestic flight with the TBIT-T4 connector?

My first ever visit to LAX will be in coming October by JL NRT-LAX and connect to a VX LAX-LAS. They are on separate reservations so I cannot check-thru to LAS.

So transit "path" should be: Deplane->Immigration->Baggage Claim->Connecting Desk->TBIT-T4-T5-T6 Tunnel->T6?

Is there connecting desk at TBIT so I can check my luggage and collect BP for VX flight?

(1) If there's no VX (or perhaps AS) agent at the connecting desk area, you'll have to walk down to T6 with your luggage for checking and BP. Even if you get a BP and drop your bag at TBIT, you'll go through security. There's a security checkpoint entrance to the left after you leave the bag drop area.

(2) Everyone, pretty much everywhere, must go through security once one has access to his checked luggage.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 10:00 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Alaska MVP, Delta Gold, AA Gold

Unfortunately there's no VX desk at TBIT. You'll have to get your pass in T6 and check your luggage in there.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by socalgecko
Unfortunately there's no VX desk at TBIT. You'll have to get your pass in T6 and check your luggage in there.
As a follow-up, it is much easier to walk on the arrivals level to T6, then take an escalator or elevator up when you get to T6.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 9:15 pm

Thank you very much for the helpful advice.

So my transit path will be:
Deplane->Immigration->Baggage Claim->Walk on arrival level TBIT-T4-T5-T6->Check-in

I spare 3:45 for transit, hopefully it's enough for I&C and TSA.

About the walk TBIT-T4-T5-T6, can I make use of connector/tunnels?
Old Mar 27, 2017, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you very much for the helpful advice.

So my transit path will be:
Deplane->Immigration->Baggage Claim->Walk on arrival level TBIT-T4-T5-T6->Check-in

You are best off just walking on the sidewalk outside and breathing "a taste of LA." The indoor areas are mostly baggage claim areas. It is a short walk, but if you have luggage, don't forget to keep your free baggage cart at TBIT baggage claim. They cost money at the other terminals.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 6:42 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Plenty of time.

The tunnels are post-security. If you only have carryon, you could clear security in either TBIT or T6 and then walkway to or escalator down to the tunnels.

I think the tunnels are an interesting experience. Very Cold War bunker-esque. Good way to stretch your legs and get a bit of exercise too.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: AF LTP, LH Sen, M Amb
Thanks everyone for input and bringing updates up. Looks like my VX LAX-HNL on 5/14 will be departing from T6 unless something gets delayed.

T6 looks much better for me than T3. First it's a way nicer terminal and I can use brand new UA club nearby instead of dreaded VX Loft (which I'm not even sure I would've been entitled for with award first class ticket to Hawaii, most probably not).
Old Apr 12, 2017, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by urww
Thanks everyone for input and bringing updates up. Looks like my VX LAX-HNL on 5/14 will be departing from T6 unless something gets delayed.

T6 looks much better for me than T3. First it's a way nicer terminal and I can use brand new UA club nearby instead of dreaded VX Loft (which I'm not even sure I would've been entitled for with award first class ticket to Hawaii, most probably not).
You will get T-6 Alaska Lounge access with VX or AS F as well.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 9:52 am

Programs: AS
AS Lounge LAX is quite nice. Decent food offerings, bar with complementary drinks and nice restrooms. They have a separate kids area and business work area. Nice views of tarmac.
I noticed flyer from Sweden 🇸🇪 concerned about quality of AS Lounge.
It is not up to European lounge standards but, by US standards, pretty nice. (I am not counting AmEx Centurion lounges in this group.)
Personnel working there are very nice and helpful.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Fantastic news as perhaps I will be able to use the UA lounge as well, particularly if T-6 and T-7 stay connected airside. If not there will still be PP at the AS lounge.

I really despise transiting via LAX and international arrivals there but will be more palatable than the current digs.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 5:13 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Fantastic news as perhaps I will be able to use the UA lounge as well, particularly if T-6 and T-7 stay connected airside. If not there will still be PP at the AS lounge.
Wouldn't count on the AS lounge remaining a PP participant. Negotiations are still ongoing but with the addition of the VX passengers, they will likely close off access as they have been doing at their other lounges.
Old May 7, 2017, 11:02 am

Programs: AS
Heads up and reminder to those flying next weekend.
With LAX doing its massive shuffle of terminals/ airlines, please allow yourself time to get to your gate on time. There will be green shuttle buses to help those dropped at wrong terminal.
VX will be at T-6 as well as AS.
As far as PP speculation, the current compromise is PP accepted with no guesting privileges ( with no sign out). If sign out, no PP.
With VX lounge gone, expect AS Lounge to be very full.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.