Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Virgin America | Elevate pre 2018
Reload this Page >

For those of you poo-pooing AS - here's an award story

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2017, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Jumbo mas

If you've been matched into MVPG (I'm 75K, but the story would be the same for Gold), here's a recent story of what it can do for you re: awards. I think you need Stratosphere Status on the other majors for the same to possibly occur.

I was looking to book SFO/LHR RT (upper class) on VS - but only the return was available (so I booked it). I booked the only available F seat from the USA to LHR on BA with AS miles, just to hold something (and knowing I could redeposit everything, only paying the $12.50 non-refundable partner fee). And then, the VS partnership went away, so I knew I was stuck with the AS award outbound. I had a DFW/LHR OW in F, and was hoping, hoping, something better would open. But with less than a month to go, I finally figured "we better get to DFW somehow" (but wanted something I could refund / apply to something else). I booked a VX SFO/DAL award with plenty of time to transfer airports. Given that AS continued my VX Gold, I knew I could refund this, no charge.

A week ago, SEA/LHR opened up - much better options, so I changed DFW/LHR to SEA/LHR - no charge. I refunded my VX SFO/DAL. no charge. I was still unsure just when we'd go to SEA (and whether I wanted OAK or SFO) so I waited a few days and then added the SFO/SEA tag -only Y available, but put on the UG waitlist. No charge. Two days later, SFO/LHR opened up. Changed SFO/SEA (overnight stay) LHR to SFO/LHR. We now have an extra day @ LHR. No charge.

All of the AS phone agents have been very nice, and mostly very competent. Even the VX agent was great and "got it right" the first time - even the $5.60 domestic fee showed up in my bank within minutes, as well as the points refund.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 3:31 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
For me the "sweet spot" is Cathay Pacific JFK-YVR. The flight timing can be a bit "off" for some folks, but being able to theoretically "save" a full day at home and catch an afternoon flight to JFK (or take the train instead of flying), and then have a flight I can sleep on is a wonderful option...and the price is right, too, especially vis-a-vis the "shock sticker" price attached to the flight under normal circumstances. It's just a bloody shame that there's no apparent way to pull the same rabbit out of a hat on Qantas JFK-LAX. This might be less of a wonder in a year or so (when B6 expands Mint) but it's still a lovely option whenever available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.