Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Virgin America | Elevate pre 2018
Reload this Page >

Good summary of AS Mileage Plan for VX folks.

Old Jan 13, 2017, 11:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat

https://blog.alaskaair.com/alaska-ai...o-mileage-plan
Old Jan 15, 2017, 2:11 pm

Many thanks! This is very helpful!
Old Jan 18, 2017, 9:46 pm

When booking a flight, even if I were to put in my AS FF#, it appears I still retain VX Gold benefits on choosing MC seats with option to select auto MCS upgrade.

Will booking this way with my AS FF# still enable my Gold 24 hr upgrade option? If not, then it may be better to (1) upgrade at T-24 and call in to input AS FF#, or (2) just complete the flight, then submit an online request to AS for the mileage.

If I'm reading it correctly, with the MVP Gold 100% bonus, a RT SFO --> NY flight could yield 5,000 miles. This is a nice return for lower cost flights.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:28 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Alaska MVP, Delta Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Visconti
When booking a flight, even if I were to put in my AS FF#, it appears I still retain VX Gold benefits on choosing MC seats with option to select auto MCS upgrade.

Will booking this way with my AS FF# still enable my Gold 24 hr upgrade option? If not, then it may be better to (1) upgrade at T-24 and call in to input AS FF#, or (2) just complete the flight, then submit an online request to AS for the mileage.
Interesting. I know that currently it's possible to store more than one FF# in a VX itinerary, so if you're logged into to the VX site when you book they're probably still associating the trip with your Elevate account regardless of what you enter in the FF# field. I'd also be (pleasantly) surprised if they let you switch your FF# after checking in and keep the better seat. Most airlines have policy of stripping away any upgrades/benefits that don't apply when you do that.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by socalgecko
Interesting. I know that currently it's possible to store more than one FF# in a VX itinerary, so if you're logged into to the VX site when you book they're probably still associating the trip with your Elevate account regardless of what you enter in the FF# field. I'd also be (pleasantly) surprised if they let you switch your FF# after checking in and keep the better seat. Most airlines have policy of stripping away any upgrades/benefits that don't apply when you do that.
Inputting both VX & AS FF#s on my itinerary might do the trick. I'll have to see if I can figure out how to do this next time.

The problem is when I place in my AS FF#, the reservation is no longer automatically recognized on my VX "manage flights" section; though, I can still pull it up manually. I'm curious if by checking in with the latter will still enable the Gold upgrade at T-24.

In the end, it might be best just to fly VX and apply for AS credit post flight.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by socalgecko
Interesting. I know that currently it's possible to store more than one FF# in a VX itinerary, so if you're logged into to the VX site when you book they're probably still associating the trip with your Elevate account regardless of what you enter in the FF# field.
Hm, I can't seem to figure out how to input multiple FF#s. Would you mind showing me how?

Thanks!
Old Jan 19, 2017, 9:11 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Alaska MVP, Delta Gold, AA Gold
Hm, I can't seem to figure out how to input multiple FF#s. Would you mind showing me how?

Thanks!
i did it via the VX app. You can add frequent flyer info to an itinerary with it.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 9:22 pm

I see. Got, thanks!
Old Jan 31, 2017, 5:06 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
booking on Alaskaair.com your Virgin flights, if you are a GOLD (or 75K), means you can change for free (no change fee). Something to chew on. We don't pay change fees.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 7:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Disc
Will booking this way with my AS FF# still enable my Gold 24 hr upgrade option?
I asked this question on the AS flyertalk thread here where someone from AS is answering questions. The answer is NO. If you want Gold benefits on VX metal, you have to use your VX elevate # when booking.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 1:12 am

I got an email from Alaska Airlines with an offer of 10000 bonus miles or $100 off if I activate my new Mileage Plan account before February 28th.

1. If I do activate my Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan, what happens to my Virgin America Elevate account?

2. If I do activate my Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan, will my Virgin America Elevate points be untouched?

Edited to add: Apparently both my questions are answered in the Virgin America FAQ (although not in the corresponding Alaska Airlines FAQ), to wit:

3. If I am an Elevate member, what can I expect as a result of the merger?

Today, Mileage Plan and Elevate continue to operate as separate programs. Mileage Plan members will continue to hold miles in their Mileage Plan accounts and Elevate members will continue to hold Elevate points in their Elevate accounts.

Now, Mileage Plan members can earn miles on Virgin America flights, and Elevate members can earn Elevate points on Alaska Airlines flights. Click here for more information regarding earn structure. Additionally, Elevate elite members now receive priority check-in and boarding on Alaska Airlines.

We will also be rolling out additional benefits for Elevate members:

* We will invite you to enroll in Alaska's award-winning Mileage Plan, enabling access to our global partner network of over 900 worldwide destinations. You'll receive more detail on how Elevate points can be used to book award travel on Alaska and Alaska Global Partners at that time.

* Should you choose to do so, you will be able to convert existing Elevate points into Mileage Plan miles at a rate of 1.3 Mileage Plan miles per Elevate point, so you can book award travel on Alaska and its extensive network of international partners.

* As of the week of January 9th, 2017, Elevate Gold and Silver members have been status matched into Mileage Plan when they activate their new Mileage Plan account, unlocking the generous benefits of Alaska’s frequent flyer program, including complimentary first class upgrades upon availability on Alaska operated flights.

Longer term, we’ll be evaluating how to bring these programs together to deliver our loyal customers the most value...

5. I have elite Elevate status (Gold or Silver). Will I receive elite benefits when flying on Alaska?

Today, you'll continue to enjoy all the Elevate elite status benefits you’ve come to love when flying on Virgin America. Plus, Elevate Gold and Silver members will now receive priority check-in and boarding when flying on Alaska Airlines. We are working quickly to extend a range of reciprocal elite benefits to both Elevate and Mileage Plan members across Virgin America and Alaska flights.

6. What is happening to my Elevate status?

There are no changes to your Elevate status. However, Elevate Gold and Silver members are now able to enjoy priority boarding and check-in when flying with Alaska Airlines – with more reciprocal status recognition updates coming in the future. As of today, there is also no change to your points balance or the flying experience with Virgin America...

9. What do I do if I have an Elevate account and a Mileage Plan account?

If you already have Mileage Plan and an Elevate account, you don’t have to do anything for now. You can continue to earn Points on Virgin America and Miles on Alaska Airlines (and vice versa).

Elevate members can now convert their points to Alaska Mileage Plan miles at a rate of 1.3 Mileage Plan miles per Elevate point, so that you can access award travel on Alaska’s network. For more information, visit: www.alaskaair.com/convertpoints.

10. What happens if I don’t transfer my Elevate points to Mileage Plan miles?

Rest assured, your Elevate account will remain active, your point balance isn't going anywhere, and in fact, you can continue to earn Elevate points. We appreciate your ongoing loyalty to Virgin America and we’re excited to now bring you all the generous benefits of Alaska Mileage Plan.
I feel much better now and feel I can activate my Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan with no fear now. Thanks

Last edited by jalabi99; Feb 26, 2017 at 1:30 am Reason: added links to FAQs
Old Feb 27, 2017, 10:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
Much to the chagrin of the AS elites, the VX elites are getting warmly welcomed with a nice sprinkling of bennies right away.

A good sign, but the real challenge is retaining the VX elites on AS metal as it currently exists.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 11:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Disc
Originally Posted by ptownca
Much to the chagrin of the AS elites, the VX elites are getting warmly welcomed with a nice sprinkling of bennies right away.

A good sign, but the real challenge is retaining the VX elites on AS metal as it currently exists.
Exactly. Despite being matched to MVP 75k, I have yet to take a flight on AS, credit VX flights to AS (lest I lose my Gold benefits on that flight), or have any plans to take an AS flight in the foreseeable future. Maybe when VX goes away, those routes are covered by AS, and there are no choices other than similarly bad hard products, then I'll choose the least of the evils and take AS (except when flying SFO-NYC). Until then, very doubtful.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.