Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Virgin America | Elevate pre 2018
Reload this Page >

Elevate Gold in 2016 - Am I now Gold 2017 and also Alaska MilePlan Gold

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2017, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold

I am confused

I was Elevate Gold in 2016.

Did not qualify for any elite status for 2017

I have seen and heard that Alaska is extending my status to Gold on Alaska's program (just joined it but no idea how to link it), and that VX would extend my status thru 2017 calendar year

Is there something I need to do to make this happen?
Old Jan 9, 2017, 8:13 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
They are using the act first and communicate later approach. You may see something change in your account or you may get some communication telling you what they did or will do. People have reported various discoveries but nothing has been formally communicated by AS with relevant links to complete whatever the process is/will be.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 10:20 pm

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
Originally Posted by caseminole
I am confused

I was Elevate Gold in 2016.

Did not qualify for any elite status for 2017

I have seen and heard that Alaska is extending my status to Gold on Alaska's program (just joined it but no idea how to link it), and that VX would extend my status thru 2017 calendar year

Is there something I need to do to make this happen?
My understanding and I have been following this closely:

All Elevate elites will be extended another year status. I did re-qualify for 2017 Gold, so I see an expiration date of 1/1/18.

Beginning today, AS will via various means match all Elevate elites like this: Silver > MVP ; Gold > MVP Gold.

https://www.alaskaair.com/elevatemember/activate allows you some options on creating or linking your AS to VX accounts.

Hope that helps.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 9:12 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, SPG/Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
I think that link is only for new mileageplus members that were emailed their new numbers this week right? I created my mileageplus account a few months ago and I haven't gotten linked yet.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 11:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Disc
Originally Posted by ptownca
My understanding and I have been following this closely:

All Elevate elites will be extended another year status. I did re-qualify for 2017 Gold, so I see an expiration date of 1/1/18.

Beginning today, AS will via various means match all Elevate elites like this: Silver > MVP ; Gold > MVP Gold.

https://www.alaskaair.com/elevatemember/activate allows you some options on creating or linking your AS to VX accounts.

Hope that helps.
I got matched from Elevate Gold to Alaska MVP Gold 75k, but I think I did have a little over 75k Elevate status points last year. So it is possible to match into AS's highest tier.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 12:49 pm

Programs: Skymiles
I noticed that I'm MVP Gold AND there were already 10,000 miles in my Alaska Airline account (never flown with them before).

The account had 4 hard upgrades (meaning you buy a cheap seat and use that to instantly upgrade). However, don't make my mistake of using them for 2 hour flights -- it appears the food service on short flights isn't great.

The whole website is a bit confusing.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 2:57 pm

I called AS earlier this morning asking if they would recognize my elevate gold status for an soon upcoming flight so I can get complimentary preferred seats. The agent was a bit confused as to why I wasn't matched into MVP Gold yet, so she put me on hold for about 15 minutes. Apparently, VX created a MileagePlan number for me even though I already had one from a few months ago. So the supervisor or whoever she talked to just transferred all the data from my old account to the new account VX created. SO now I'm MVP gold but I dont have any points or upgrades yet. But at least I got premium seats!
Old Jan 10, 2017, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by cryan71
The account had 4 hard upgrades (meaning you buy a cheap seat and use that to instantly upgrade). However, don't make my mistake of using them for 2 hour flights -- it appears the food service on short flights isn't great.
The problem with AS (legacy, which is all you can use those upgrades for) is that unless you live in Seattle or are willing to connect through it just to get where you actually want to go (which is almost never efficient), then there are hardly any flights that aren't little two-hour flights. Hawaii, I guess, is the major exception out of the Bay Area. Maybe there are others I don't know about.

I did a status match a couple years ago from VX to AS, before any merger talks started, and I ended up not flying AS the whole year, despite having the free upgrades, etc. Outside of the occasional trip I make to the Pacific Northwest, it has never been the best option, though I guess that will change with the merger.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
Originally Posted by chenalex
I called AS earlier this morning asking if they would recognize my elevate gold status for an soon upcoming flight so I can get complimentary preferred seats. The agent was a bit confused as to why I wasn't matched into MVP Gold yet, so she put me on hold for about 15 minutes. Apparently, VX created a MileagePlan number for me even though I already had one from a few months ago. So the supervisor or whoever she talked to just transferred all the data from my old account to the new account VX created. SO now I'm MVP gold but I dont have any points or upgrades yet. But at least I got premium seats!
So i should call to find out what account number they assigned to me, not to find out if they linked to the one i created already?

Gotta tell you, the DL/NWA and UAL/CO mergers were much simpler
Old Jan 10, 2017, 7:00 pm

Well the emails are still being sent out throughout the week, but I suspect VX created a new one for me because my middle name isn't in my VX account. I'm still surprised it wasn't linked to my original MileagePlan #, considering email, home address, date of birth, and KTN are all the same.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 11:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chenalex
Well the emails are still being sent out throughout the week, but I suspect VX created a new one for me because my middle name isn't in my VX account. I'm still surprised it wasn't linked to my original MileagePlan #, considering email, home address, date of birth, and KTN are all the same.
Got it today.

I will need to call to have them remove the other Alaska account i created earlier then. No need for 2

So whats left is to verify my Gold status thru 2017 - a re-print of my Elevate card doesnt indicate Gold - it just says expires 1/1/2018
Old Jan 11, 2017, 12:39 pm

A search here and on Google doesn't seem to reveal an answer -- I wonder if historical miles on VX will transfer to AS for "million miler" status? I have to assume the answer is no, especially given that AS counts BIS miles rather than dollars, but hey, it'd be nice since I think that would get me about halfway there.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by shza
The problem with AS (legacy, which is all you can use those upgrades for) is that unless you live in Seattle or are willing to connect through it just to get where you actually want to go (which is almost never efficient), then there are hardly any flights that aren't little two-hour flights. Hawaii, I guess, is the major exception out of the Bay Area. Maybe there are others I don't know about.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Jo...tional_Airport

Guadalajara, Honolulu, Kahului, Kailua–Kona, Lihue, Newark (begins March 12, 2017),[50] Portland (OR), San José del Cabo, Seattle/Tacoma
Bolded to show the non-"little two hour" flights.

AS is also adding SFO-MSP service this summer. Since it will be on E75 planes this will be AS service eligible for GGUs and complimentary upgrades, but not VX seating.

Originally Posted by acitrano
A search here and on Google doesn't seem to reveal an answer -- I wonder if historical miles on VX will transfer to AS for "million miler" status? I have to assume the answer is no, especially given that AS counts BIS miles rather than dollars, but hey, it'd be nice since I think that would get me about halfway there.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...l#post27640501

Originally Posted by missydarlin
No, they will not. But going forward, VX flights accrued to Mileage Plan will count toward MM.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Jo...tional_Airport

Bolded to show the non-"little two hour" flights.

AS is also adding SFO-MSP service this summer. Since it will be on E75 planes this will be AS service eligible for GGUs and complimentary upgrades, but not VX seating.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...l#post27640501
I'm personally unwilling to drive an hour-plus (up to 2.5 hours at busy times) to fly out of San Jose, but good point. And a big thanks for the link to the Missy thread -- very helpful.

Last edited by shza; Jan 12, 2017 at 3:51 pm
Old Nov 13, 2017, 3:23 pm

I did a search and couldn't find it mentioned anywhere else...my Alaska MVP card says it's good until end of 2018, even though I haven't qualified for status since 2015. Are they giving folks an extra year of status post merger?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.