Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 23, 2017, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: geclub1
Link to transfer Virgin points to Alaska.

https://buy.points.com/marketing/ala.../landing-page/
Print Wikipost

1.3 is conversion rate to Mileageplan

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2016, 1:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MVPG, DL Silver, United Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by hiima
My transfers have always taken a couple days.

​​​​​but my transfer from yesterday already posted.
Sweet deal. A lot of credit to Alaska, VX and SPG for not changing the ratio (yet) without notice. I haven't taken advantage of this opportunity yet, but I may be tempted.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 1:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Duke5150
Better Deal: Transfer SPG to Marriott reward points 1:3 ratio. So, 90,000 SPG -> 270,000 Marriott. Use Marriott points to purchase "Nights and Flights" reward deal. Get 120,000 AS points PLUS 7 nights in Cat 1-5 Marriott Hotel.

This is best use of SPG points.
Yea very good deal but are there really any worthwhile Cat 5 hotels?
Old Dec 22, 2016, 8:10 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT 2MM, DL Lifetime GM 2MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, HH Diamond, IHG Amb Diamond
Originally Posted by Jeffmiyagi
Yea very good deal but are there really any worthwhile Cat 5 hotels?
My thoughts exactly. It's very rare that I might want to stay in the same hotel for 7 nights and the chances of it being a Cat 5 or below - zero. The value of points to me is the higher end Marriott, Ritz, Autograph, etc.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 11:47 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
I think the point is that 90,000 SPG points converted out to airline miles would kick out 110,000 miles. While this would then convert to about 143k AS miles via the 1.3 ratio, I guess the question is whether you'd have an extra 23k AS miles or five hotel nights. The hotels might not be awesome ones, but in this case what you have is an opportunity cost question in which YMMV.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 11:55 pm
Suspended

I agree with YMMV. But Governator brings up a good point in that the travel package requires you stay in the same hotel for 7 straight nights. And since there aren't really worthwhile hotels in prime locations, it makes it very difficult to stay in that hotel for that period of time.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 1:27 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
True. I could circumstantially justify it in Florida (you have two hotels out in Kissimmee) or if I was using a suburban hotel in Atlanta for DragonCon. For me the failure point is that I don't recall the last time I spent more than 2-3 nights anywhere.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 3:31 am
Suspended

For me, would need to probably be Hawaii or Paris. Unfortunately, those don't call into the Cat 5.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 5:58 am

To close the loop on question i asked earlier... My points came in 2 days after submitting through SPG.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 8:42 am

If you transfer from SPG directly, you wouldn't transfer 90K SPG points. To maximize transfer bonus, you'd transfer 80K points to receive 100K VX points (or 130K AS miles). The alternative is to transfer 90K points to Marriott and purchase a travel package for 120K AS miles plus 7 nights in a cat 1-5 hotel. So the trade-off for the alternative is that you'd spend an extra 10K SPG points and get 10K fewer AS miles for a 7-night stays in a cat 1-5 hotel. Is the 7-night stay worth 10K SPG + 10K AS miles? Personally I prefer direct transfer from SPG because I already have too many these 7-night stay certificates for the next year.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 8:52 am

BTW, those 7-night certificates can be upgraded to stays at higher category hotels for additional Marriott points. They can also be refunded (before they expire) if you don't use them. They'd be treated as cat 1 hotel certificates (7.5K per day for 6 days) for refund purpose. So you'll receive 45K Marriott points (or 15K SPG points).

If you're not going to use the hotel certificate, the economics boils down to 80K SPG points for 130K AS miles (in a direct transfer to VX) or 75K SPG points for 120K AS miles (in an indirect transfer via Marriott). The former is slightly better (5K SPG points to 10K AS miles) in that scenario.

Last edited by tth6133; Dec 23, 2016 at 9:20 am
Old Dec 23, 2016, 12:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
I prefer to call the Marriott transfer the bundle offer. It's better value, but there's almost no chance I would stay in any hotel for 7 days straight.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 3:25 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Last I checked Marriott & Starwood have their own sections for these hotel posts.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 5:34 pm

I think discussing valid uses of points in the context of a messy merger situation is not unreasonable, especially as the differences are really exclusively down to the merger.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 7:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
I think discussing valid uses of points in the context of a messy merger situation is not unreasonable, especially as the differences are really exclusively down to the merger.
Concur. This thread specifically relates to the conversion and how to best take advantage of it. Every post thus far has been related to that topic.
Old Dec 25, 2016, 10:41 am

Programs: AS, AA, Hilton, Hyatt
Originally Posted by ExSin
To close the loop on question i asked earlier... My points came in 2 days after submitting through SPG.
Same here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.