Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 23, 2017, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: geclub1
Link to transfer Virgin points to Alaska.

https://buy.points.com/marketing/ala.../landing-page/
Print Wikipost

1.3 is conversion rate to Mileageplan

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2016, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by patrick.barnes
It may be more "fair" until they kill off Elevate, but it isn't a fair conversion rate for those of us with VX points already.
Depends how you earned your points.

If you have both credit cards, there's no reason to use the AS Visa (except for AS purchases) for the time being.

In fact, although I was optimistic for at least a 1 = 1.5 conversion, thinking about the CC portion of the formula, it might have been too expensive a proposition given the % of points earned at $1 spend = 1 VX point. I know I spent over $30K on the VX Visa this year, so I know that I've earned what will turn into an extra 10K MP miles.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 4:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Disc
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Depends how you earned your points.

If you have both credit cards, there's no reason to use the AS Visa (except for AS purchases) for the time being.

In fact, although I was optimistic for at least a 1 = 1.5 conversion, thinking about the CC portion of the formula, it might have been too expensive a proposition given the % of points earned at $1 spend = 1 VX point. I know I spent over $30K on the VX Visa this year, so I know that I've earned what will turn into an extra 10K MP miles.
Given that SPG points transfer to VX at 20k-->25k, it doesn't make sense to put any non-VX spend on the VX card either (assuming you have the AmEx SPG card).

The arbitrage play now is SPG-->VX-->AS, if you're so inclined, as it now yields a 30% bonus over going straight SPG-->AS.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 4:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by rubbernyc
Being based out of EWR/PHL with lots of travel to OH, MI, KY, TN during the year, it will not make sense for me to go out of my way to fly them.
There's no way you're the target audience for the program. Wrong side of the country and not flying on AS/VX metal on those routes.

As to the 1.3 conversion ratio, I think it is pretty fair. Works much more in favor of pax who want the short-haul awards, I think, but still fair overall.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 5:53 pm

Programs: AS, AA, Hilton, Hyatt
Originally Posted by sbm12
There's no way you're the target audience for the program. Wrong side of the country and not flying on AS/VX metal on those routes.

As to the 1.3 conversion ratio, I think it is pretty fair. Works much more in favor of pax who want the short-haul awards, I think, but still fair overall.
I know I am not their target right now. I flew plenty of NYC - SFO and LAS last year on VX and earlier this year, but I stopped flying them once the purchase was announced due to the uncertainty. However, I would be willing to continue that and even connect thru SEA/PDX on some trips in order to keep status but not as of now. They could have kept or captured some east coast VX fans but not like this. At least in my opinion or in my case.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 6:57 pm
Suspended

I think some of you folks are missing one hell of an opportunity.

Many people are currently targeted for a 35% discount on buying SPG points. You can buy 20,000 points for $455.00. Transfer those to VX with a 5k bonus for 25k total. Then that converts to 32,500 Alaska miles!

32,500 Alaska Miles for $455.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Dec 19, 2016, 7:21 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Are there any other partners which allow transfers to both VX and AS?
Old Dec 19, 2016, 7:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by Jeffmiyagi
I think some of you folks are missing one hell of an opportunity.

Many people are currently targeted for a 35% discount on buying SPG points. You can buy 20,000 points for $455.00. Transfer those to VX with a 5k bonus for 25k total. Then that converts to 32,500 Alaska miles!

32,500 Alaska Miles for $455.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
There are those who are targeted for 50 off
Old Dec 19, 2016, 8:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by hiima
There are those who are targeted for 50 off
It's a no brainer at 50. It's still a no brainer at 35.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 8:33 pm

I get the trick with making the earnings comparable on the two airlines, which drove the 1.3:1 conversion. What would be awesome is if Alaska gave a 1-time 15% bonus to Elevate members (for miles as of 12/19) upon activation/ linking of Alaska airlines mileage plan account. Would be a meaningful move & help retain customers. Anyone listening?
Old Dec 20, 2016, 1:45 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by jakers3200
I get the trick with making the earnings comparable on the two airlines, which drove the 1.3:1 conversion. What would be awesome is if Alaska gave a 1-time 15% bonus to Elevate members (for miles as of 12/19) upon activation/ linking of Alaska airlines mileage plan account. Would be a meaningful move & help retain customers. Anyone listening?
How useful that would be would depend on who they're gunning for. There are those of us with point balances in the middle six figures (I actually wouldn't be surprised if there are a few of us strewn around in the higher six figures) who that would benefit, but you have a number of "earn and burn" folks out there (as well as others who just never went in for big balances).

By the way, what's the going rate for buying Elevate points versus Mileage Plan miles? If another significant discount offer were to come along with Elevate I might just bite...I think I'm going to have enough miles in the bank when this all settles out to grab at some interesting TATL awards. Irony here is that I have no interest in dealing with AS, but if I could get a good TATL award in F on BA that's another story...and I think I might have enough miles in hand when this is over for about 5 such legs. It's not the ten I would have liked to extract out of VS UC on the same balance, but...eh, I'm sure I'll survive.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 10:49 am

Programs: UA, VX, QF, EY, VA
It's a no brainer at 50. It's still a no brainer at 35.
Can you please explain why that's a good deal?
Old Dec 20, 2016, 10:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Disc
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
Are there any other partners which allow transfers to both VX and AS?
Citi TY points and AmEx membership rewards points allow transfers to VX, but not AS. Both are 2:1 VX, so you'd just be getting 1.3 Alaska miles for every 2 points, which I wouldn't do, personally -- particularly given that you can transfer directly from either of those currencies to many of AS's international partners at 1:1.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 12:50 pm
Suspended

20k Starpoints for $455
This converts to 25k VX miles
That will then convert to 32.5k Alaska miles

32,500 Alaska miles for $455

Tell me where else you can even come close to that?
Old Dec 20, 2016, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MVPG, DL Silver, United Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Ambassador
See post #20 by jeffmyiagi
Old Dec 20, 2016, 1:00 pm

20k Starpoints for $455
This converts to 25k VX miles
That will then convert to 32.5k Alaska miles

32,500 Alaska miles for $455

Tell me where else you can even come close to that?
Just chiming in here too...but if you have the SPG card, it's 2x points on points purchases also. So you could factor that in for a little bit additional savings/points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.