Wiki Posts
Search

Gold Status Retention Question

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2016, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Gold Status Retention Question

Just had an interesting conversation with a Gold line rep.

When asked how I retain my Gold status beyond the "renewal date," he mentioned I just need to maintain an "active flying pattern" with my account. When I asked if that meant another 30 segments or 50k status points within the next calendar year, he said no just be active during the year.

I just reached Gold. My renewal date is 01/01/2017 with an expiration of 03/31/2018. My understanding is that I'll need to essentially re-up with flying (30 segments or 50k status pts) during CY 2017 in order to retain and extend my status a year into 2019.

Whose understanding is correct here?

Last edited by FluxTZ; Oct 3, 2016 at 7:05 pm
Old Oct 3, 2016, 7:27 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
If the acquisition goes through there probably will not even be an elevate program in 2018 so why worry? You have Gold Status for life with elevate--knowing full well that the program is on life support and the chord could be unplugged any day.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
If the acquisition goes through there probably will not even be an elevate program in 2018 so why worry? You have Gold Status for life with elevate--knowing full well that the program is on life support and the chord could be unplugged any day.
Touche!
Old Oct 3, 2016, 7:37 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Remember that you can not rely on anything the people in the call center say. Most of them have been subcontracted by Virgin America for less time than many Gold members have spent on Virgin America planes. They don't know anything about what Alaska plans to do and most likely you will know something before they do.

The only thing that AS has made clear is that everybody will convert to Mileage Plan. What the value of the points will be, how they will covert the points into lifetime miles, which status Gold members will end up with is a mystery to everybody--perhaps even including the management of Alaska Airlines.

You can start by looking here to see what you would need to do to get status under their current rules:

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...-benefits.aspx

Otherwise, just move on and find another airline to serve your needs as Virgin will be sadly going away.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Remember that you can not rely on anything the people in the call center say. Most of them have been subcontracted by Virgin America for less time than many Gold members have spent on Virgin America planes. They don't know anything about what Alaska plans to do and most likely you will know something before they do.

The only thing that AS has made clear is that everybody will convert to Mileage Plan. What the value of the points will be, how they will covert the points into lifetime miles, which status Gold members will end up with is a mystery to everybody--perhaps even including the management of Alaska Airlines.

You can start by looking here to see what you would need to do to get status under their current rules:

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...-benefits.aspx

Otherwise, just move on and find another airline to serve your needs as Virgin will be sadly going away.
Nothing has been announced for the great unwashed yet, but Elevate will more than likely be around for about 2 more years with a gradual changeover.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 10:20 pm

Programs: MR AMB/LT, AA EP, TK EP, DL D, B6 M4, F9 100K, IHG AMB/D, HH D, CZR D, FndCd, Sixt D, NTL E, Hz PC
I'm Gold right now, but due to mostly international travel this year, haven't even requalified Silver. Is it worth doing that, or does VX do Gold -> Silver soft landing?
Old Oct 20, 2016, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by rdlmitedu
I'm Gold right now, but due to mostly international travel this year, haven't even requalified Silver. Is it worth doing that, or does VX do Gold -> Silver soft landing?
Soft landed to Silver

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.