Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Status segment run

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2016, 4:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: MR AMB/LT, AA EP, TK EP, DL D, B6 M4, F9 100K, IHG AMB/D, HH D, CZR D, FndCd, Sixt D, NTL E, Hz PC
Status segment run

Is there any good way to do a segment status run to get the most segments per reward point redeemed (or dollar spent)? Next time there's a sale, doing SEA-SFO-LAX-somewhere-somewhere and back? Any optimal routes? Ideally starting from SEA or SFO.

(I've moved from SF to Seattle so I'll probably switch to AS and status-match to MVP something, but I've also started a new company and will be traveling enough to Asia, Europe, and within the US to maintain status on multiple programs. I still like VX, and gold+premium card has been pretty awesome.)
Old Sep 15, 2016, 7:28 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Plat, VX Gold, VS Gold, HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Marriott Gold
It's highly likely your Elevate Gold status will convert into Alaska MVP before the year's end, so I'd sit tight for now.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by SFGuy37
It's highly likely your Elevate Gold status will convert into Alaska MVP before the year's end, so I'd sit tight for now.
It's very unlikely the programs will be merged before year's end, because the merger won't even get approved until Q4 (after September 30 this year), and there won't be a single operating certificate before 2018.

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....ut-the-merger/

I'd expect cross-matching in 2017.

Originally Posted by rdlmitedu
Is there any good way to do a segment status run to get the most segments per reward point redeemed (or dollar spent)? Next time there's a sale, doing SEA-SFO-LAX-somewhere-somewhere and back? Any optimal routes? Ideally starting from SEA or SFO.
I've never seen VX allow SEA-SFO-LAX-XXX as a routing in recent years. You'd be buying extra tickets for that. Generally SEA is not a competitively priced market for VX save for SFO/LAX; I've never seen SEA-LAS priced less on VX than the carriers like AS/WN/DL nonstop (unlike, say UA or even DL), for instance. You're going to pay a significant premium to fly VX out of SEA transcon/midcon (as well as a time premium). This is why I generally have avoided them in recent years, even though I like their product; their pricing sucks out of SEA and connecting in SFO has issues because of flow control. Mood lighting and IFE isn't worth a hundred bucks and a three hour ground hold to me.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Sep 15, 2016 at 11:54 am
Old Sep 16, 2016, 10:07 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Don't forget free flights also count as segments. You can also add in LAX-LAS-LAX--especially during the week it is very cheap. It is 1270 points each way for the lowest price or $41 each way--though it has gone down to the $30s.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by SFGuy37
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
It's very unlikely the programs will be merged before year's end, because the merger won't even get approved until Q4 (after September 30 this year), and there won't be a single operating certificate before 2018.

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....ut-the-merger/

I'd expect cross-matching in 2017.
Do you think Elevate points will be multiplied by a factor of some number once it's merged with Alaska's Mileage Plan?

Last edited by nomorecoach; Sep 18, 2016 at 7:26 am
Old Sep 20, 2016, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by nomorecoach
Do you think Elevate points will be multiplied by a factor of some number once it's merged with Alaska's Mileage Plan?
No freakin' clue. If you are actually making decisions on VX point acquisition based on pure unfounded speculation about a favorable AS exchange rate, you are a braver person than I am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.