Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Elevate vs status points

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2016, 9:51 pm
Original Poster

Elevate vs status points

Stupid question, but is there a difference between elevate and status points? Thinking about getting the VX Visa, debating between the basic and premium. One of the premium perks is 5k status points earned per $10k spend.

Are these 5k status points the same as elevate points, in that they can be used to purchase flights? Or are they solely to advance your points toward earning silver/gold status?
Old Jul 31, 2016, 6:36 am

Programs: AS, AA, BA, SQ
The status points are just like elite miles earned on other carriers premium cards, they only advance your progress to elite status, expire/reset to zero on January 1st, and cannot be redeemed for travel.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 12:57 am
Suspended

Programs: Virgin America Gold, Virgin Atlantic Gold, AAdvantage Platinum, B6 Mosaic, HHonors Gold
if you earn 5K status points from the credit card, you'll also earn 5K reward points (maybe more). The number of reward points you earn from anything is always equal to or greater than the number of status points you earn from the same activity.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 10:51 am

Programs: AA EXP, MVPG, DL Silver, United Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Ambassador
10K in spend = 10K in elevate points and 5K in status points. Only on premium card and only up to 30K in spend for 15K in status points per year. After that mark, you would only earn elevate points.

Per VX's T&Cs:

3. Earning Elevate Status Points. (Premium Cardholders only)

Each calendar year, Premium Cardholders are eligible to earn up to 15,000 Status Points (as defined in the Elevate Member Guide) toward reaching or renewing Elevate Gold or Elevate Silver status. You will receive 5,000 Status Points for each $10,000 of Net New Purchases made using your card, up to a maximum of 15,000 Status Points per calendar year, provided that you have paid the Annual Fee and your Account is open and not in default at the time Points are posted. Any Status Points earned on Net New Purchases made after the December billing cycle end date will be applied towards the following calendar year's Status Points earnings. Status Points will post to your Elevate account approximately 6 to 8 weeks after the billing cycle end date in which you reach each $10,000 of Net New Purchases. Status Points count toward reaching or renewing your Elevate status in the qualification year in which they are posted. The Elevate status qualification year begins on January 1 and ends on December 31. If the Status Points posted to your Elevate account in any qualification year exceed your earned status threshold, the Status Points will be applied to the following year's status qualification. Status Points are not redeemable for Reward Travel.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 11:15 pm

If I'm doing a status match, will those 5,000 miles from the credit card count toward the reduced 8,000 Status Points required for Virgin America Visa Card holders to stay Gold?
Old Aug 4, 2016, 12:25 am

Programs: AA EXP, MVPG, DL Silver, United Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by kristiank
If I'm doing a status match, will those 5,000 miles from the credit card count toward the reduced 8,000 Status Points required for Virgin America Visa Card holders to stay Gold?
I specifically emailed VX to ask this question and was told YES. I have since completed the challenge and a waiting for confirmation of Gold through 2017. I update the thread once confirmed.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 1:59 pm

Me too. Waiting for second batch to post. Thanks for the reply.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by RedwoodA320
if you earn 5K status points from the credit card, you'll also earn 5K reward points (maybe more). The number of reward points you earn from anything is always equal to or greater than the number of status points you earn from the same activity.
Status points earned from the credit card are ONLY applied to your status points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.