Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Virgin America | Elevate pre 2018
Reload this Page >

Where to credit my VX flight with no loyalty?

Old Jul 28, 2016, 5:58 pm
Original Poster

Hi folks. Apologies in advance if a similar topic was covered, but couldn't find any...

With the VX-AS merger, I'm trying to decide where I should accumulate the miles for my upcoming VX flight. Some info about me:
  • I fly out of SFO and my 3-4 domestic flights per year have all been VX (but as VS reward flights, so I never accrued miles for them)
  • I don't have any miles accrued with VS nor AS
  • I have some miles accrued with VS due to my time flying to LHR, but I'm trying to spend them because I don't need to fly VS anymore and using VS miles is a huge headache.

Anyone have tips on where I should store start storing my VX miles? Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 28, 2016, 9:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: Virgin America Gold, Virgin Atlantic Gold, AAdvantage Platinum, B6 Mosaic, HHonors Gold
Where do you fly out of SFO?

I'd start storing your miles via VX Elevate, personally. You'll *eventually* be able to use them on AS, and it's much easier to earn status on VX than it is on other airlines. Plus, there's not terribly many choices on to whom VX flights can be credited. Other than the 3 Virgin airlines, your choices are limited to Singapore and Emirates for now. AS will be added sometime after the acquisition closes.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 10:17 pm

Programs: AS MVP
If you have MR, TYP, UR, or SPG earning credit cards:

1. Calculate how many Elevate points you would earn from the flight.
2. Subtract that number from the total mileage for the flight (gcmap.com)
3. If the result is positive, credit to SQ KrisFlyer, assuming your fare class is listed on this chart: https://www.singaporeair.com/pdf/pps...FOALLevels.pdf
4. If the result is negative, credit to Elevate.

If you don't have any of those cards, you're probably better off crediting to Elevate.

Don't credit VX economy to Flying Club. You'll only earn 50% of flown miles.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 10:10 am
Original Poster

I'm getting a negative number, especially because Elevate is having a +50% promotion until end of August, so I will credit to Elevate. But still curious... why credit to SQ KrisFlyer? I do have MR and UR, so would like to know for future purposes. Thanks!!
Old Jul 29, 2016, 4:06 pm

Programs: AS MVP
I like Krisflyer because you can transfer from all the major points currencies, zero or very reasonable award booking fees and good availability on UA for last minute domestic redemptions, and obviously redemptions on the rest of Star alliance as well.

VX also has decent last minute availability open to KrisFlyer. For example, I flew SFO-SEA booked 5 days in advance for 10k KrisFlyer miles. That's good CPM compared to the cheapest fare that was available ($299) and better than the Elevate points required when I booked.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 2:29 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
I'd be inclined to say either Elevate (if you think you can get a modest pile built up before the merger) or KrisFlyer as well. I've been shunting most of my non-VX earning away from Elevate and to KrisFlyer (I've only used the CC once in the last few months and that was because the insurance agent I was talking with basically went too fast with the transaction and ran it before I could tell him to hold on and put it on a different card).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.