Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Virgin America | Elevate pre 2018
Reload this Page >

Power Trip vs. Plans Change Pass pricing for RT vs. one-way

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2016, 11:05 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member

I just bought a VX ticket for a family member for late summer travel. The schedule was right and the fare was competitive. During the purchase I encountered the options for Power Trip ($79 each way) and Plans Change Pass ($29 for round trip or $29 for one-way).

This pricing seems inconsistent. Power Trip seems to be a reasonable price for a one-way trip, replacing a $25 bag fee, $29 Plans Change Pass, and maybe a $30 premium seat fee. (This passenger has PreCheck.) But $79 for the return trip? There's no additional $29 Plans Change Fee to replace. The cost and benefits don't balance.

I booked a round trip ticket and bought the $29 Plans Change Pass for it, converting it into a reusable purchase exactly like a Southwest ticket. Bag fees will run $25 each way, so I'm paying $79 in fees for the round trip. If Virgin had priced Power Trip at $50 for the return leg they would have made an extra $50 from me.

I really like the concept and execution of the Plans Change Pass, but the Power Trip pricing needs to be rethought.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 4:19 am
Suspended

Programs: Virgin America Gold, Virgin Atlantic Gold, AAdvantage Platinum, B6 Mosaic, HHonors Gold
I agree, the pricing of Power Trip doesn't make the most sense. The Plans Change Pass is excellent -- especially for those who know their plans aren't certain and do not have the VX premium CC.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 11:15 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Well, remember...plenty of folks don't have Pre-Check, and with the complete Charlie Foxtrot that the TSA has been this year...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.