Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gold Elevate Redemption question

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2016, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

Gold Elevate Redemption question

Booked a flight on Virgin Atlantic and have to cancel. Being a gold can't I get a refund of the taxes put back to the original form of payment?
Old Jun 15, 2016, 11:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: Virgin America Gold, Virgin Atlantic Gold, AAdvantage Platinum, B6 Mosaic, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by ADeutsch
Booked a flight on Virgin Atlantic and have to cancel. Being a gold can't I get a refund of the taxes put back to the original form of payment?
Yes, since you're gold you can get a refund of the taxes/fees imposed by Virgin Atlantic. Not sure if the refund would go to original form of payment or travel bank.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 3:54 pm

If the cancellation is taking place after 24 hours they put the taxes back into your travel bank. I guess that on a domestic redemption it's not a big deal since the amount is generally quite small, but on an international redemption I can see how this would be an issue.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 4:13 am
Suspended

Programs: Virgin America Gold, Virgin Atlantic Gold, AAdvantage Platinum, B6 Mosaic, HHonors Gold
The exact same rules for ordinary (e.g., non partner) redemptions apply. $100 redeposit fee unless you're gold (which you are). Taxes/fees go are refundable upon points redeposit; if you cancel within 24 hours, money goes to original form of payment. If you cancel after that window, funds go to travel bank. Entirely non-negotiable, in my experience (which is upwards of 5 int'l partner booking flights on VX).
Old Jun 28, 2016, 3:18 pm

Do travel bank funds expire? If so, how long do you have to use them?

Also I currently have Gold status from a status match. The status expires for me on 12/31/2016. If I book award tickets for Jan 2017 I assume I cancel them and get points redeposited for no fee only if I cancel them by 12/31. Does that sound right? Or is it that I won't be able to get a no fee redeposit if points since they are for 2017 and my status is only for 2016?
Old Jun 29, 2016, 1:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by amm543
Do travel bank funds expire? If so, how long do you have to use them?
Travel bank credits expire one year from the date of issue. They can be used for travel beyond one year, but it has to be booked before the credit expires.

Originally Posted by amm543
If I book award tickets for Jan 2017 I assume I cancel them and get points redeposited for no fee only if I cancel them by 12/31. Does that sound right? Or is it that I won't be able to get a no fee redeposit if points since they are for 2017 and my status is only for 2016?
Technically for fee-free cancellation/redeposit, you need to cancel by 12/31. But elevate status has typically been effective for roughly one week after the year ends, so you could probably cancel on (say) Jan 4 without penalty.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.