Wiki Posts
Search

Does VX really not overbook?

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2016, 6:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Does VX really not overbook?

I just read in the FAQ sticky that VX doesn't oversell or overbook - does anyone know if this is true? Seems odd to me from a revenue management standpoint given no-shows.

The reason I ask:

I need to book a one-way CUN-SFO on June 7th and saw that VX has a non-stop. No seats are available for pre-assignment, so was really hoping for a MCS to be assigned at the airport, but it doesn't sound like that'll happen. I'm hoping that a Tuesday in a leisure market means very few elites and I'm more than willing to pay at T-6 if I can snag it, but the no overbooking thing just seems bizarre for an airline.
Old May 28, 2016, 8:47 pm

Used to be that was the case. They now do on certain flights.
Old May 28, 2016, 10:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by cringle
Used to be that was the case. They now do on certain flights.
Interesting. You would think a flight in this market would have a lower chance of no-shows than say LAX-SFO, but something seems to be up with this specific flight. I know that seat maps are an unreliable indicator of loads, but there is only one MCS seat left for sale with 8 seats available on the map.
Old May 30, 2016, 12:42 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Often they overbook main cabin on flights where J and W loads tend to be a bit lower. I wouldn't count on a free upgrade, but availability for the T-24 upgrade is quite likely.
Old May 31, 2016, 1:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Plat, VX Gold, VS Gold, HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
Interesting. You would think a flight in this market would have a lower chance of no-shows than say LAX-SFO, but something seems to be up with this specific flight. I know that seat maps are an unreliable indicator of loads, but there is only one MCS seat left for sale with 8 seats available on the map.
VX sells through other channels, including interline, which don't always allocate seats at time of ticketing. The fare class could be more sold than the seat map currently suggests.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 9:16 am

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Disc
My SFO-JFK flight yesterday was overbooked -- they were offering $550 to bump.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 2:43 am
Suspended

Programs: Virgin America Gold, Virgin Atlantic Gold, AAdvantage Platinum, B6 Mosaic, HHonors Gold
They definitely overbook now. I believe up to 2% on flights with multiple frequencies a day. 1x daily flights aren't overbooked (at least as of now).

I found myself accidentally cancelling a MC flight to vegas over the holiday weekend and could not reinstate it (despite trying three seconds later) due to the fact it was overbooked. (Eventually 3 hours before departure a spare F seat opened up, so I ended up fine.)
Old Jul 18, 2016, 10:25 am

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
Flew VX for the very first time on Friday. DAL-DCA. My flight was not overbooked, but the flight to LGA at the adjacent gate was. I heard the announcement seeking volunteers with flexible travel plans.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.