Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Virgin America | Elevate pre 2018
Reload this Page >

VX 1936 SFO-LAX 5/28 cancelled, extorted to get rebooked

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2016, 12:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA PLAT, TK GLD, Hilton Diamond, IC PLAT, SPG GLD, Marriott GLD

Booked this flight weeks in advance on purpose... checked in this AM, got an email at 10:20 pm that the flight was cancelled, no additional info as to why.

I am VX Gold. Called the Gold Res line, was told that my only option was 2:30 pm flight because that was the only flight available with my same booking class. My wife, myself, and our 11 month old are flying

Umm.. no. I have business in LA at noon and MUST be in LA before noon. I kindly informed her of my status and the fact that there is a 7 am and 8 am flight. I asked to be put on the 8 am flight.

After 30 min on wait, she comes back that her supervisor states "Virgin has policies in place" and that because MCS is the only available cabin, I have to be extorted $39 to upgrade my wife to MCS. I tried to keep my calm, informing her that VX cancelled my flight and on ANY OTHER airline I have flown, they have waved such retarded policies to accommodate passengers.

15 minutes later, no budging.

SERIOUSLY!? wow... sorry VX.. Southwest has won my heart...

I filed a DOT complaint while she was taking my CC payment
Old May 28, 2016, 9:34 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
If you are gold and have called the "gold" line any time in the last couple of months you would know that the agents are untrained and often trying to look up what to do in a manual. You need to ask for a supervisor at the very least or just go to the airport and standby. Talking to the first agent that picks up the phone when asking for something more than getting the person to find your reservation is a task in futility.

But to be fair...you should also know if you are gold that MCS free upgrades are not a benefit for companions either so if main cabin was sold out you could have gone standby.
Old May 29, 2016, 6:47 pm

Programs: None
Oh boy.
Old May 30, 2016, 12:39 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Little confused...were you all on the same reservation, or different reservations?
Old May 31, 2016, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA PLAT, TK GLD, Hilton Diamond, IC PLAT, SPG GLD, Marriott GLD
I know that gold benefits don't spill over. We were all on the same reservation.

I've been placed in higher class of service when the airline screws up on other airlines without a charge up fee.

Do you mean to tell me that if there are seats available on a flight and VX cancels they will not accommodate your group, even with status ? That's amazingly retarded
Old Jun 1, 2016, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
The problem is that the phone agents often don't know or don't have the authority to deal with irregular operations. I have found the same problem with Southwest. They send you a text, but when you call in they can't do anything over the phone.

In these circumstances, it is best to just go to the airport and let them deal with it (sadly).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.