Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Status credits and segments

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2016, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by Finagler
And, of course, there is still that dreaded feeling that things will change for the worse once the sale to AS is completed.
That's my thinking. They are trying to attract and retain as many elevate people as possible because the program is being "thrown out" in the end (minus the conversion of status members and points to Mileage Plan).
Old Apr 29, 2016, 2:03 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
This is basically damage control IMHO; though I'm not ungrateful for it, this reeks of an impending de facto devaluation. Oh, wait, we already knew about that...

Consider that at present a UC award on VS runs...I want to say 25k/40k points (OW/RT), but I can't get into the website to check right now...

On Alaska, a US-Europe award is in BC is:
-62.5k/125k on Air France
-50k/100k on American
-60k/120k on British Airways
-NA/125k on Delta (R/T only)
-105k/210k on Emirates
-55k/110k on Icelandic

So basically this is a devaluation, Emirates notwithstanding, of 50-60% for one-way awards and 60-70% on round-trip awards. On Emirates it's about a straight 50% devaluation. I'll give credit where it's due, this is not a horrid pallative, and I think the segment point is actually a reasonable move WRT the "shuttle" markets in CA.
Old May 5, 2016, 7:03 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Anybody else having trouble with status point and segment posting? My regular flight point posting for the two flights I took last week came through several days ago but still no segment or status points. Wish they would get their systems working.
Old May 5, 2016, 5:54 pm

Programs: Global Entry/TSA PreCheck
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Anybody else having trouble with status point and segment posting?
Same here. None of my flight segments for the year have posted yet.
Old May 6, 2016, 11:10 am

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Disc
Originally Posted by edcho
That's my thinking. They are trying to attract and retain as many elevate people as possible because the program is being "thrown out" in the end (minus the conversion of status members and points to Mileage Plan).
My thought is that they are making elevate points (now "credits") easier to acquire now in order ultimately to try and justify a crappy 1:1 exchange to less valuable Alaska points.
Old May 6, 2016, 1:00 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by shza
My thought is that they are making elevate points (now "credits") easier to acquire now in order ultimately to try and justify a crappy 1:1 exchange to less valuable Alaska points.
I think it is safe to say this is 100% certain.
Old May 6, 2016, 9:55 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
I think it is safe to say this is 100% certain.
Ditto. Like I said, it's a modest pallative and it's obvious that they're at least trying to be proactive. That being said, I'd very much have preferred them just doing a straight 2:1 conversion rather than going through a dog-and-pony show to justify 1:1...

...but then again, I don't tend to have much patience for Marketing in general.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 9:46 am

Programs: UA G
Has anyone successfully received status points on an award flight? I took an award flight two weeks ago and my status points still have not shown up.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 10:28 am
Suspended

Programs: Virgin America Gold, Virgin Atlantic Gold, AAdvantage Platinum, B6 Mosaic, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by unavaca
Has anyone successfully received status points on an award flight? I took an award flight two weeks ago and my status points still have not shown up.
Assuming you mean segment credit, no I have not - and I've taken two reward flights since implementation.

If you actually mean "status credits", I don't think you'll be receiving them as they are only awarded for spend.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by RedwoodA320
Assuming you mean segment credit, no I have not - and I've taken two reward flights since implementation.

If you actually mean "status credits", I don't think you'll be receiving them as they are only awarded for spend.
No, I was referring to status points. They certainly don't make it clear that only revenue tickets count toward status points; I booked a grip of award tickets thinking they were going to requalify me for status this year.

Here's the exact verbage on the website:
For Status in 2016, Virgin America travelers will earn status based on either the number of flights they take or the amount they spend purchasing flights. Reward flights will also be counted towards achieving status.
It's pretty weak if the flights don't count toward status points and they don't spell it out on the website
Old Jun 28, 2016, 2:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: Virgin America Gold, Virgin Atlantic Gold, AAdvantage Platinum, B6 Mosaic, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by unavaca
No, I was referring to status points. They certainly don't make it clear that only revenue tickets count toward status points; I booked a grip of award tickets thinking they were going to requalify me for status this year.

Here's the exact verbage on the website:

It's pretty weak if the flights don't count toward status points and they don't spell it out on the website
Here [https://www.virginamerica.com/cms/el...s/earn-status] it says:

How To Earn Status Points
Your Elevate Silver or Elevate Gold Status is calculated daily based on the number of Elevate status points you’ve earned in a calendar year. We’ll check your Elevate account daily to see if you’re ready to take your membership to the next level.

How To Earn Status Segments
Your Elevate Silver or Elevate Gold Status is calculated daily based on the number of Elevate status segments you’ve earned in a calendar year. Status segments are any flight taken on Virgin America, including reward flights. We’ll check your Elevate account daily to see if you’re ready to take your membership to the next level.
Note that it does not say reward flights count toward status credits. Also, how would status credits be calculated for reward flights, when status credits are calculated at the rate of five points per base fare dollar? Base fare for reward flights is $0 -- you only pay taxes -- so it seems logical that you would earn zero status credits for a reward flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.