Wiki Posts
Search

YQ on SQ redemption

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2016, 7:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
YQ on SQ redemption

According to the VX SQ redemption chart, BKK-SIN J requires $51 in "TAXES & CARRIER IMPOSED FEES". However, when I called to redeem, I was quoted a whopping $145. I checked redemption using SQ miles and it matches what they charge.

On one hand, it's not surprising that VX is collecting SQ's YQ. On the other hand, it differs from VX's published amount for SQ, which explicitly includes carrier imposed fees.

Has anyone been able to get the different-from-award-chart YQ waived?
Old Apr 14, 2016, 11:48 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Plat, VX Gold, VS Gold, HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Marriott Gold
SQ determines the fees to be charged for redemption. It's safe to assume the VX website may not always be completely up to date, but redemption agents will quote the current fees.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 2:18 am

could VX redeem SQ 77w and 380 biz and first class award ticket?
Old Apr 23, 2016, 6:57 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Just called and SQ flights do incur exorbitant YQ - around $75 incl. taxes for a OW SIN-BKK in J!
Old Apr 27, 2016, 9:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by nov11
Just called and SQ flights do incur exorbitant YQ - around $75 incl. taxes for a OW SIN-BKK in J!
I still pulled the trigger, but only b/c my friend is paying the fees. Makes no sense for Y though given the ULCCs.

For this route this J is hard to beat. Get to use the outstanding SKL T3, plus the A330 configuration is solid for such a short flight.
Old May 4, 2016, 7:01 pm

Is there anyone to seek recourse on this?

I transferred 20k SPG points thinking to book a cheap Y class ticket at 9600 points, only to get slapped with a 133 USD YQ!

The chart clearly has not been updated since April - any way to get VX to honor it?
Old May 4, 2016, 11:24 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
I'm thinking there might be room for an FAA/FTC complaint of some kind to be had. To be fair, there's always the rule of asking first on something like that (and I'm not a lawyer) but it feels like if a company presents a price of X, you act on the basis, and then the company says the price is Y and that X is not available (and it's not a case of "they ran out")? The two words that come to mind are "fraud" and "negligence"...especially since as often as not those charts are way out of date but there's no reason to suspect that on the basis of the website.

I'm not sure how the cause of action would actually work or what damages you could reasonably even attempt to claim (or how you'd end up triggering the damages)...but this could arguably play out along the lines of the guy who took Orbitz to small claims court.

Edit: Of course, going to court over $50-100 in YQ would probably be overkill...but if you were looking at a pattern of misquoting that either did or was likely to cost you several hundred dollars it might be worth the hassle on principle (especially in light of the merger).

One thing to bear in mind is that the fees on VS seem to be overpriced on the website (e.g. the website quotes $630/seat in Upper Class LHR-HKG but I was only charged $470/seat, and quotes $458 BOS-LHR but I was only charged $424/seat)...but this might well be down to currency fluctuations (e.g. the USD/GBP disparity).

Last edited by GrayAnderson; May 4, 2016 at 11:36 pm
Old May 5, 2016, 8:40 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Another reminder:

Never transfer miles into a program without knowing if availability is likely to exist and before checking on the amount of fees required for the award. When something looks too good to be true, it often is. Carrier imposed surcharges, formerly known as the fuel surcharge, are still all over the board despite the massive drop in oil prices. Some airlines have reduced them, others have kept them high. Partner awards are subject to the restrictions of the partner. In addition, Virgin does not update their website and can barely keep track of their own flight point and status postings lately so any information about fees potentially charged by a partner is dubious at best.
Old May 7, 2016, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
I'm thinking there might be room for an FAA/FTC complaint of some kind to be had. To be fair, there's always the rule of asking first on something like that (and I'm not a lawyer) but it feels like if a company presents a price of X, you act on the basis, and then the company says the price is Y and that X is not available (and it's not a case of "they ran out")? The two words that come to mind are "fraud" and "negligence"...especially since as often as not those charts are way out of date but there's no reason to suspect that on the basis of the website.

I'm not sure how the cause of action would actually work or what damages you could reasonably even attempt to claim (or how you'd end up triggering the damages)...but this could arguably play out along the lines of the guy who took Orbitz to small claims court.

Edit: Of course, going to court over $50-100 in YQ would probably be overkill...but if you were looking at a pattern of misquoting that either did or was likely to cost you several hundred dollars it might be worth the hassle on principle (especially in light of the merger).

One thing to bear in mind is that the fees on VS seem to be overpriced on the website (e.g. the website quotes $630/seat in Upper Class LHR-HKG but I was only charged $470/seat, and quotes $458 BOS-LHR but I was only charged $424/seat)...but this might well be down to currency fluctuations (e.g. the USD/GBP disparity).
Certainly a lesson for me - I contacted VX with screenshots and a time stamp showing how the fees are not up to date. Will see what the CSRs says and update again.

As long as VX is willing to provide a goodwill refund of those fees, I will be satisfied. But this also means I am going to be more creative with my future redemptions on VX, and try to minimize the fees whenever possible.
Old May 15, 2016, 12:13 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Another reminder:

Never transfer miles into a program without knowing if availability is likely to exist and before checking on the amount of fees required for the award. When something looks too good to be true, it often is. Carrier imposed surcharges, formerly known as the fuel surcharge, are still all over the board despite the massive drop in oil prices. Some airlines have reduced them, others have kept them high. Partner awards are subject to the restrictions of the partner. In addition, Virgin does not update their website and can barely keep track of their own flight point and status postings lately so any information about fees potentially charged by a partner is dubious at best.
I don't disagree with you, in terms of being perfectly sure, but VX is in the wrong here, not the customer. If you are going to list the full surcharges on your website, they should be accurate. If you don't think you can keep them up to date, then don't list them at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.