Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Virgin America | Elevate pre 2018
Reload this Page >

SPG Points Transfer to Virgin Elevate at 1:1 ratio

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SPG Points Transfer to Virgin Elevate at 1:1 ratio

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2016, 8:07 am

Programs: *A Gold / ST Elite+ / OWS / EK G / HH Diam. / MR Tit / Hyatt GLOB / IHG Diam. / SL Jade / GHA Tit.
I'm not aware... you can tell more please.

Originally Posted by g8trgr8t
never mind. found virgin America in the drop down menu. if the 1 : 2 conversion (elevate : Alaskan) takes place as expected with the Alaskan Airlines merge this will be a great deal. 20k SPG will end up getting 50k Alaskan miles
Old May 9, 2016, 10:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Disc
never mind. found virgin America in the drop down menu. if the 1 : 2 conversion (elevate : Alaskan) takes place as expected with the Alaskan Airlines merge this will be a great deal. 20k SPG will end up getting 50k Alaskan miles

I would not count on 1:2 conversion to Alaska for a second.
Old May 11, 2016, 10:36 am

Data point
I transferred 20k spg points yesterday to virgin Atlantic.
The 25k points showed up this morning in my Elevate account, less than 24 hours later.
Old May 18, 2016, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by shza
I would not count on 1:2 conversion to Alaska for a second.
what do you think they are going to do? anything less and they could really alienate a lot of long time loyal Virgin America customers
Old May 20, 2016, 7:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Disc
what do you think they are going to do? anything less and they could really alienate a lot of long time loyal Virgin America customers
I expect them to do 1:1. I'm sure that's why VX recently made points much easier to earn -- so they can try and justify a crappy exchange rate. Burn all of your points before the programs merge, or you will likely regret it.

A lot of long time loyal VX customers (me included) are already going to be alienated and not loyal to AS simply because AS has crappy hard product and isn't similar to VX in any way (except good customer service, which VX used to have until 6 months ago). Points exchange rate is the least of it.
Old May 21, 2016, 6:49 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
I would echo that. They want people to transfer points into elevate now as they will almost certainly be transferred one to one into AS making them worth a whole lot less.

Those 2,000 point redemptions on flights like SFO-LAX will soon be 7,500 at best. The 20,000 RT redemptions to HI on Aloha will also disappear.

Plan wisely.
Old May 22, 2016, 1:42 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Yeah...unless you have a pre-merger plan for the points (particularly if it's on VS, but an internal redemption can make sense as well) then I'd argue that if you "take advantage" of this you're the one being taken advantage of. Hell, I'm even wondering whether to credit VX flights to Elevate for the rest of the year...I'll likely end up with Silver almost no matter what, but if I can't make Gold this year (increasingly likely given where my travel plans have gone) then I'm not sure if piling up miles, even at the increased rates, is worthwhile.

Fair disclosure: I already burned the strip on my VX CC and I've transferred all of my non-VX spending to another card (given that I have Gold and I always book F straight out, there's a 95% chance I kill the card before the AF comes up again).
Old Jun 24, 2016, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Anyone know if names have to match?

I want to transfer from my SPG account to my wife's VX account. Same last name.

Problems?
Old Jun 24, 2016, 2:24 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by josephstern
Anyone know if names have to match?

I want to transfer from my SPG account to my wife's VX account. Same last name.

Problems?
Yes. Won't go through. Transfer to her SPG account first then to VX.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by invalyd
Thanks.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by invalyd
Did you personally try to transfer SPG points to somebody else's VX account? and it didn't go through?

Last edited by mizzou1; Jun 24, 2016 at 5:34 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.