RIP VX

Old Apr 4, 2016, 3:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
First SPG is slated to be going away and now VX.. Danm!! My travels for work and pleasure are sure going to suck even more as these two entities go "bye-bye"!
Old Apr 4, 2016, 3:53 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
First SPG is slated to be going away and now VX.. Danm!! My travels for work and pleasure are sure going to suck even more as these two entities go "bye-bye"!
I feel your pain. Just used up 120,000 Starpoints on a nice Luxury Collection/St. Regis vacation in Mexico City. Already up to 60 nights so far this year with Starwood. Now I have until the end of the year to burn up my Virgin points. Plus trying out Hyatt with their promo and the status match. Enjoying things while they last. Don't have to bother charging things to the VX comenity card to get to help get Elevate Gold again this year now as Alaska is just marginally more attractive than a legacy carrier, so lots of changes. We will see what happens. Got my jetBlue Mint tickets this weekend for Labor Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas...so that is one thing that won't change...for now.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by joepercussion1
AA/US had to fight fairly hard and give up quite a bit. I would imagine the DOJ has had enough with airline mergers and will definitely object to this.
I doubt it. This will likely be the easiest airline merger in a while to get through any oversight. The Justice department can only object in the event that they can prove a major impact to consumers. Basically if this would give the airline a monopoly over a route or airport, or just produce a massive company with no competition.

Even merged they are only the 5th largest domestic airline. Alaska airlines does not have much of a presence at either LAX or SFO which are Virgin Americas hubs. If anything this merger may be viewed as helping competition since they might be able to better compete against the big airlines.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 5:08 pm

Programs: Virgin America
Is there anything I can do with elevate points besides purchase flights? I know some other airlines let you use points for other things (cruise, hotel, electronics, cash, etc). Can I do that with Virgin?
Old Apr 4, 2016, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by skron
Is there anything I can do with elevate points besides purchase flights? I know some other airlines let you use points for other things (cruise, hotel, electronics, cash, etc). Can I do that with Virgin?
VX has good airline partners you can redeem with but not much else.

The only other option seems to be Virgin Limited Edition.
https://www.virginamerica.com/cms/el...edition-redeem

Redemption options would improve (drastically) with AS.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 5:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Marriott Gold ; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by VBCA
The merger is such sad news. I will never fly Alaska Airlines because of the Alaska 261 crash. Every time I see their planes, I still think of that plane crashing into the ocean...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaska...nes_Flight_261
Is that you Rainman? They don't even use that plane anymore
Old Apr 4, 2016, 6:59 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by LasVegasBuck
They don't even use that plane anymore
I would hope not. Not many planes that catastrophically crash are brought back into service.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 7:53 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
I would hope not. Not many planes that catastrophically crash are brought back into service.
It is true, AS hasn't flown the MD-80 since 2008.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 8:17 pm

I do hope the culture around maintenance has been corrected since the crash though.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 8:21 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium, AA PLT for Life
Originally Posted by edcho
I do hope the culture around maintenance has been corrected since the crash though.
Clearly it has not, which explains the frequent crashing of planes since that accident!
Old Apr 4, 2016, 8:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by LasVegasBuck
Is that you Rainman? They don't even use that plane anymore
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
It is true, AS hasn't flown the MD-80 since 2008.
Wasn't the MD-80's fault, it was Alaska's cost-saving maintenance procedures. Mechanical faults can still happen with them, even with their 737's.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by rogo
Clearly it has not, which explains the frequent crashing of planes since that accident!
Wait. What? There have been fatal AS plane crashes since AS261?
Old Apr 4, 2016, 8:35 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G)
Forgive me for posting on this emotional subject. I flew Virgin America yesterday for the first time. My experience with them instilled much anger into me, although the flight attendants were gracious.

I paid for a First Class flight but received notification that I would be moved down to Main Cabin Select for reasons they said they were not allowed to state but with a refund of the fare difference (which in reality was $0 - in other words, it was bait and switch), although they placed money in my newly established "bank". After an exchange of emails asking for specific explanation for why my First Class booking was not being honored, and to which they refused to explain, I cancelled the booking I originally had (I refuse to pay for First Class and only receive Main Cabin Select) and used the "bank" money to rebook in Main Cabin Select. As it turned out, yesterday on my flight 3 people were upgraded (at a cost of $99 according to the flight attendant) into First Class, including the gentleman sitting in my row who was upgraded immediately before the door was closed. All I can say is I'm glad this company is being bought out. I'm very angry regarding how they treated me (I showed the flight attendants all the e-mails between me and the company and they were at a loss for why my First Class booking was downgraded to Main Cabin Select).

I understand my situation is (hopefully) unique but any company that treats a new first-class paying customer in this way deserves to disappear. Alaska has never treated me so poorly as Virgin America. (Not even United has treated me this way).
Old Apr 4, 2016, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by VBCA
The merger is such sad news. I will never fly Alaska Airlines because of the Alaska 261 crash. Every time I see their planes, I still think of that plane crashing into the ocean...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaska...nes_Flight_261
I was on that aircraft earlier the same day. I think of it frequently. After about a year, I started flying AS again. Not on MD80s, but on the airline.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by SeaProf
Forgive me for posting on this emotional subject. I flew Virgin America yesterday for the first time. My experience with them instilled much anger into me, although the flight attendants were gracious.

I paid for a First Class flight but received notification that I would be moved down to Main Cabin Select for reasons they said they were not allowed to state but with a refund of the fare difference (which in reality was $0 - in other words, it was bait and switch), although they placed money in my newly established "bank". After an exchange of emails asking for specific explanation for why my First Class booking was not being honored, and to which they refused to explain, I cancelled the booking I originally had (I refuse to pay for First Class and only receive Main Cabin Select) and used the "bank" money to rebook in Main Cabin Select. As it turned out, yesterday on my flight 3 people were upgraded (at a cost of $99 according to the flight attendant) into First Class, including the gentleman sitting in my row who was upgraded immediately before the door was closed. All I can say is I'm glad this company is being bought out. I'm very angry regarding how they treated me (I showed the flight attendants all the e-mails between me and the company and they were at a loss for why my First Class booking was downgraded to Main Cabin Select).

I understand my situation is (hopefully) unique but any company that treats a new first-class paying customer in this way deserves to disappear. Alaska has never treated me so poorly as Virgin America. (Not even United has treated me this way).
It sounds like (but who really knows, and no one can tell you) that a FAM was assigned to fly in your seat on your flight and then ended up not taking the flight. Not that they handled it well, but that's what it sounds like.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.