Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RIP VX

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2016, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by Siberian_Viktorya
how are people so sure that the US government will not object to the purchase?

it seems to me that the purchase will significantly decrease competition in the west, no?
I think AA+US merger is worse and they didn't stop that (minus a few concessions).
Old Apr 4, 2016, 12:40 pm

Programs: American AAdvantage EXP, World of Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Rewards Titanium, MGM Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by edcho
I think AA+US merger is worse and they didn't stop that (minus a few concessions).
AA/US had to fight fairly hard and give up quite a bit. I would imagine the DOJ has had enough with airline mergers and will definitely object to this.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA, VX, QF, EY, VA
Originally Posted by Visconti
Really? Generally, I've always found AS to be more expensive than the equivalent fare on the other Legacy carriers.

On paid F, I prefer VX, even if it's more, because of the integrity of their F class. Unlike other carriers, they don't give away 90% of F as upgrades to their Elites. Why would I pay for F when 90% get it for free? I get it. It's great if you're an Elite, but I'm not.

If I'm going to fly coach, what's really the difference between AS and UA, AA, or DL? Coach is coach, regardless. Mind as well pay the lowest fare, since it's all homogeneous, as far as I'm concerned.
I think (hope?) that Doc Savage was being sarcastic.

There is 0 difference between AS and UA/DL/AA, at least out of SFO.

The VX crew sure seem to be loving this over on Facebook.

RIP, VX. You were awesome.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by patrick.barnes
I think (hope?) that Doc Savage was being sarcastic.

There is 0 difference between AS and UA/DL/AA, at least out of SFO.

The VX crew sure seem to be loving this over on Facebook.

RIP, VX. You were awesome.
Couldn't agree more.

Between them, just pick the most cost effective and convenient one. Same price, then I'll pick UA, if only for Amex Lounge convenience.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 1:02 pm

Programs: Virgin America
"Of course, it’s too early to say how Alaska will value each Elevate point. Currently, we value Alaska miles at 2 cents each (though that’s expected to drop later this month, following the Emirates devaluation) and Virgin America points at a minimum of 1.5 cents each. If points are combined at a 1:1 ratio, Virgin America customers will likely come out ahead, especially due to Alaska’s strong partnerships with international carriers.

Read more: http://thepointsguy.com/2016/04/what-we-know-about-alaska-and-virgin-america/#ixzz44szk8rvG"

So, maybe I'll come out ahead with these points I've been saving for years?
Old Apr 4, 2016, 1:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by Visconti
Really? Generally, I've always found AS to be more expensive than the equivalent fare on the other Legacy carriers.

On paid F, I prefer VX, even if it's more, because of the integrity of their F class. Unlike other carriers, they don't give away 90% of F as upgrades to their Elites. Why would I pay for F when 90% get it for free? I get it. It's great if you're an Elite, but I'm not.

If I'm going to fly coach, what's really the difference between AS and UA, AA, or DL? Coach is coach, regardless. Mind as well pay the lowest fare, since it's all homogeneous, as far as I'm concerned.
I'm talking about VX fares often being much more than competitors' fares. AS is usually similar to competitors.

As far as coach, the AS crew attitude is a differentiator.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by vxflyer
Yes one of the reasons I hate Alaska Airlines was the crash of Alaska 261. The airline should have been found criminally responsible for the deaths of 88 people.
The merger is such sad news. I will never fly Alaska Airlines because of the Alaska 261 crash. Every time I see their planes, I still think of that plane crashing into the ocean...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaska...nes_Flight_261
Old Apr 4, 2016, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
I'm talking about VX fares often being much more than competitors' fares. AS is usually similar to competitors.

As far as coach, the AS crew attitude is a differentiator.
I'm not sure where your routes are, but from SFO - JFK/LAS/ORD routes, VX isn't much more or less than anyone else. There are times when it's more expensive than the others, and other times when they're the lowest.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 1:49 pm
Formerly known as scootr29

Originally Posted by VBCA
The merger is such sad news. I will never fly Alaska Airlines because of the Alaska 261 crash. Every time I see their planes, I still think of that plane crashing into the ocean...
Gotta lube the jackscrews and use the correct tool to check play....2 hero pilots did everything they could to keep that plane out of the water that day.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 2:13 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, AA Platinum, Marriott & Discovery Platinum, IGH Diamond
Finally!I was waiting for this joke of an airline to fold in one way or another.Would have preferred bankrupt,but being sold is also good,it will disappear and stop treating passengers like dirt.

Great news.

Regards,

El Puerco Volante
Old Apr 4, 2016, 2:16 pm
Suspended

This could very well be the case but other airlines have crashes that may stick in the mind of passengers....

United: smashing into the WTC and played over and over on TV.
American: It's been a while but their DC-10 was shown crashing at ORD in the late 1970's. Also footage of the AA 757 smashing into the Pentagon.
Delta: LGA accident recently. L-1011 crash at DFW where news coverage, but not crash footage, was shown over and over quite a few years ago.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 2:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by El Puerco Volante
Finally!I was waiting for this joke of an airline to fold in one way or another.Would have preferred bankrupt,but being sold is also good,it will disappear and stop treating passengers like dirt.

Great news.

Regards,

El Puerco Volante
The last time I flew on VX, they were rude and seized my bag even though there was room in the overhead. They were too cautious but if they thought logically, there was room for the approximately 3 roller bags that they seized for check in. I don't hold a grudge, though.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 2:24 pm

How are you able to fly on AA, DL, UA, AF, SQ, or any other airline that has had fatal crashes?

(or drive down the interstate)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._50_fatalities

or walk to anybody's front door?(Flordida only)
http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2016/04/...?spt=sec&or=on

Last edited by Siberian_Viktorya; Apr 4, 2016 at 2:31 pm
Old Apr 4, 2016, 3:07 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by joepercussion1
AA/US had to fight fairly hard and give up quite a bit. I would imagine the DOJ has had enough with airline mergers and will definitely object to this.
I objected strenuously to the AA merger (and I did so as a long time AA flier) because I was tired of the reduced competition from the mergers of the majors. In the end, the concessions from AA/US weren't that much, and did little to help competition. But the DOJ was right to try and block the merger of two national airlines.

However, even if DOJ does not want more mergers, I don't see the case for blocking the merger of two smaller Western airlines with extremely limited route overlap, especially when neither airline has a controlling number of slots at an airport where barrier to entry is high due to slot controls or gate constraints. I can't imagine DOJ winning a suit to block this, nor can I picture them even trying.

**opinion offered comfortably from my armchair
Old Apr 4, 2016, 3:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Siberian_Viktorya
How are you able to fly on AA, DL, UA, AF, SQ, or any other airline that has had fatal crashes?

(or drive down the interstate)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._50_fatalities

or walk to anybody's front door?(Flordida only)
http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2016/04/...?spt=sec&or=on
Not the same thing. Alaska should've been shutdown and it's executives jailed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.