RIP VX

Old Apr 4, 2016, 10:38 am

Programs: Virgin America
I am a virgin silver member with a ton of points. What is going to happen to those points?Also, did other card holders realize you didn't get any points March?
Old Apr 4, 2016, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by skron
I am a virgin silver member with a ton of points. What is going to happen to those points?Also, did other card holders realize you didn't get any points March?
Everything should be status quo until atleast 2017 so i'd spend them within the next year or so.

After that, it depends on how Alaska transfers them into Mileage Plan. Some people are speculating a 2:1 ratio conversion rate but it's WAYYYY too early.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by edcho
Everything should be status quo until atleast 2017 so i'd spend them within the next year or so.

After that, it depends on how Alaska transfers them into Mileage Plan. Some people are speculating a 2:1 ratio conversion rate but it's WAYYYY too early.
Thanks. I've got way too many points to use for one year of flying (had basically just been saving for years and not using points when I could have).

You're saying that in that scenario I'd lose half my points, right?
Old Apr 4, 2016, 10:50 am

Thanks. I've got way too many points to use for one year of flying (had basically just been saving for years and not using points when I could have).

If it's a 2:1 conversion and you can fly AS, then it isn't too bad. However, it's too early to speculate on what the possible conversion will be.

Obviously, if it's 1:1, then you'll suffer a massive devaluation. So, I'd try to use them asap.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by Visconti
If it's a 2:1 conversion and you can fly AS, then it isn't too bad. However, it's too early to speculate on what the possible conversion will be.

Obviously, if it's 1:1, then you'll suffer a massive devaluation. So, I'd try to use them asap.
Sorry, I'm not a huge flyer. If it's 1:1 why wouldn't my points be equal?
Old Apr 4, 2016, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by vxflyer
Alaska airlines is crap. You should have quit VX an applied to work for Alaska years ago. Nothing great will be created from this. Alaska is a ......, corporate airline, the kind Branson wanted to be different from. Alaska will not innovate. They will overcharge and deliver less. This is in no way, shape, or form good for travellers or for the U.S. airline industry, which has an abysmal reputation as it is.
Wow, being nasty towards me isn't going to bring VX back. I have only tried to provide helpful info and positivity here over the years. I am very sad that VX is ending. It's been my home for 7 years. And eventhough it's not in the form I would like, I am just thankful to still have a job and to be able to keep flying. Wish everyone on here the best.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 11:01 am

Sorry, I'm not a huge flyer. If it's 1:1 why wouldn't my points be equal?
Generally, Elevate points are worth 2.3 cents. It's fixed point system that you can use to redeem based on the fare price.

AS has a dynamic value where you only realize the higher end on certain redemptions. Most of their redemptions will be more towards the 1 cpp range, as opposed to 2 cpp.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 11:03 am

2 Mileage Plan points for 1 Elevate Point (so double).

Like the previous poster said, it's hard to know what they will do as the two programs are so drastically different. VX is based on per dollar and Mileage Plan is earned based on distance. Current transfer rates from AMEX is basically 2:1 so that is why people are speculating 2:1. It's hard to see what AS will do but I wouldn't be surprised if it's a 1:1 ratio or something like that since it's basically an AS takeover.

Originally Posted by VXCabinCrew
Wow, being nasty towards me isn't going to bring VX back. I have only tried to provide helpful info and positivity here over the years. I am very sad that VX is ending. It's been my home for 7 years. And eventhough it's not in the form I would like, I am just thankful to still have a job and to be able to keep flying. Wish everyone on here the best.
I think most people will be cautiously optimistic like any merger but VX catered to a specific unique crowd that had the option of going to other airlines (legacies). It'll be very hard for AS to retain the VX customer base. Of course, you will have some of the extreme die-hard fans that will be upset with the whole thing and there's nothing you can do or say (minus VX miraculously not merging) that will change their "end of the world" view.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by VXCabinCrew
I don't think anyone would be "nasty" towards you and would only wish the best for all VX employees. As a consumer without having to be PC, this is a huge step back going from VX to AS.

While I suspect many here are expressing disappointment, I'm sure this frustration wouldn't extend to you or any of your colleagues.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 11:06 am

March points

Also, did other card holders realize you didn't get any points March?
I did not get my points for March (my wife did on her account strangely enough)
Old Apr 4, 2016, 11:07 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Plat, VX Gold, VS Gold, HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Marriott Gold

Try and use them on VX international partner flights - Virgin Australia is a great redemption since they removed the fuel surcharges, and Emirates is now better than AS following the devaluation. VS is still reasonable, but carries the same fuel surcharges as VS charge their own Flying Club members. Otherwise expect some more sales to Denver and Hawaii before the merger closes since they are new routes - good opportunity to maximize Elevate redemptions on VX.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by Phamer55
I did not get my points for March (my wife did on her account strangely enough)
Do we think we will get them?
Old Apr 4, 2016, 11:33 am

Do we think we will get them?
Of course! Nothing has changed (yet) and will change until 2017. Still pending regulatory approvals, shareholder approvals, etc. They basically have to act like the merger won't go through until it does.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by edcho
Of course! Nothing has changed (yet) and will change until 2017. Still pending regulatory approvals, shareholder approvals, etc. They basically have to act like the merger won't go through until it does.
Sure, but it's a safe bet this will go through. No shareholder, large or small, will vote against $57 per share, unless they assume Oil prices will remain below $40 indefinitely.

Unlikely to Regulatory resistance, since the DOJ had no issues with other larger Airline mergers.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 11:37 am

Programs: AS MVP, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat
I'm deeply saddened by the news today. VX has been a breath of fresh air in this crazy industry - it made flying feel really special and new again. I remember flying VX the first time from SFO to JFK just after the airline launched. I thought that it might just all show with the mood lights and cool IFE system but I soon realized that the experience goes much deeper than that.

There was a sense of optimism and freshness that was lacking from every other travel experience I've ever had - and you felt that in every interaction with VX. You could argue that WN has the same spirit, but they lost that up-start underdog feel at least 10 years ago.

Also, VX was never a "me-too" airline, they always pushed the envelope and did things to differentiate their product and their identity as a brand and an airline.

It's not that I mind AS, they're a great airline in their own right. I am going to miss the uniqueness of VX in a very bland domestic airline industry.

Oh, and I'm going to miss being able to use the VS lounge at SFO. That's a massive loss.

Thanks to everyone who has made VX the airline it is today - and good luck and best wishes for the future.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.