Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Virgin America | Elevate pre 2018
Reload this Page >

Recent Gold Elevate - strategy for flying RT LAX-MCO and F desired

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2016, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold

New to Elevate Gold status.

I fly LAX-MCO often.

ANy suggested strategies for getting best seats, other than actual paying for MCS or F?

I know as Gold I can book "Express" seats right away.

I know the rules about getting the MCS seats at checkin (T-24) as well as options to buy into F

If I book coach seat (Express) , what are my actual chances of getting MCS?

What can i expect for "buy up" to F in terms of $$$$

I know nothing is guaranteed; I am just looking for general strategies for flying this route.

I'm actually thinking to purchase coach LAX-MCO, then F on the return
Old Feb 3, 2016, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
Must be safe to assume then there is no strategy LOL
Old Feb 3, 2016, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Disc
Sorry, I just don't know this route.

My strategy for the routes I fly most often -- SFO/EWR, SFO/JFK, SFO/WAS, SFO/ORD and SFO/LAX -- is to book coach (Main Cabin Express) every time, except when F is only nominally more expensive on the short LAX flight.

I have never been stuck actually sitting in the MCE seat. Nearly every single flight, I have been able to buy up to F at T-24. I had my first experience with F being sold out on one of those routes on Sunday, flying back from WAS. But I was still auto-upgraded to MCS in the bulkhead aisle, and there was an empty middle seat next to me, so it was fine.

I would be surprised if LAX/MCO were as busy a route as the once-a-days between SFO and WAS, so I would expect you can book coach and then pay the upgrade and get F.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by shza
Sorry, I just don't know this route.

My strategy for the routes I fly most often -- SFO/EWR, SFO/JFK, SFO/WAS, SFO/ORD and SFO/LAX -- is to book coach (Main Cabin Express) every time, except when F is only nominally more expensive on the short LAX flight.

I have never been stuck actually sitting in the MCE seat. Nearly every single flight, I have been able to buy up to F at T-24. I had my first experience with F being sold out on one of those routes on Sunday, flying back from WAS. But I was still auto-upgraded to MCS in the bulkhead aisle, and there was an empty middle seat next to me, so it was fine.

I would be surprised if LAX/MCO were as busy a route as the once-a-days between SFO and WAS, so I would expect you can book coach and then pay the upgrade and get F.
very helpful!

Thank you!

Yes, my concern is getting stuck in MCE seat as a Gold.

I guess in my case, getting MCS will be considered a good upgrade, I dont mind paying for F as long as its around $150 - $250
Old Feb 4, 2016, 8:41 am

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
The upgrade fee from MCS to F on this route is $240.
It's irrelevant how you got into MCS. Purchased / paid upgrade / Elite comp upgrade.

My personal strategy varies on a case-by-case basis depending on the fares at the moment. Even though I'm Gold, I'll go ahead and buy MCS if the fare difference from MC isn't too bad .... I'd rather secure an aisle seat now than risk an elite upgrade to MCS middle seat.

And I have the upper level VX Visa credit card so that if a fare sale comes along, I can review my choices again and possibly cancel/rebook without a change fee.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 10:37 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by steve64
It's irrelevant how you got into MCS. Purchased / paid upgrade / Elite comp upgrade.

My personal strategy varies on a case-by-case basis depending on the fares at the moment. Even though I'm Gold, I'll go ahead and buy MCS if the fare difference from MC isn't too bad .... I'd rather secure an aisle seat now than risk an elite upgrade to MCS middle seat.

And I have the upper level VX Visa credit card so that if a fare sale comes along, I can review my choices again and possibly cancel/rebook without a change fee.
Ditto!!

There have been times when it just "made sense" to either purchase MCS or even first as well. The angst of being "stuck in a middle MCS seat just gets to me for upcoming transcon flights. Sometimes I just settle with MCE exit row too. It's all about the legroom for me and if I can't have the aisle, I want the window next!!
Old Feb 4, 2016, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by steve64

OK. Now back to confused.

I paid $130 for my MCE seat (remember I am a new Gold, so system allowed me to select that seat at booking)

Current pricing for the same exact flight as I am on now:
Economy - $221
MCS - $299
F - $499

If the upgrade fee for MCS to F is fixed (?) at $240, why wouldnt i simply purchase the F seat to start with?

No incentive whatsoever to do it at T-24 - the cost is "relatively" the same

Wouldnt they incentivize the pricing for Elevate Gold - i.e., offer the F seat at a substantially reducted price at T-24 ?
Old Feb 4, 2016, 8:52 pm

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
Originally Posted by caseminole
OK. Now back to confused.

If the upgrade fee for MCS to F is fixed (?) at $240, why wouldnt i simply purchase the F seat to start with?

No incentive whatsoever to do it at T-24 - the cost is "relatively" the same
Well, that's exactly why I said it's a case-by-case basis. And probably why the response rate to your original question has been low. There's no "one size fits all" answer.

Given the fares you've listed, I would definitely just buy F.
I assume you're looking at flights far in the future. I'm typically buying closer in and a $499 F fare on this route is rare to my eyes. Check some flights closer in and if the "refundable" F fares are sold out, then a one-way F fare of $1749 is common. I'm sure the day of the week has a lot to do with it too.

Yes, the upgrade fees are fixed. The fixed amount is based on the distance. I believe the $240 is the highest rate (maybe west coast to Hawaii is higher ??) and applies to all the trans-cons.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 3:15 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
I'm doing my best to run an in-depth analysis of availability on this route (I'm focusing on LAX-MCO but presuming that MCO-LAX acts more or less the same...it's just easier to run the sorts of manual brute-force searches needed on a single, defined flight).

What I'm finding is the following:
-First is selling out fairly rarely, but it's getting pretty decent load factors (there are generally 1-3 F seats open over the next few weeks; the next three days are an outlier in this regard).
-Not only does MCS sell out rarely, it has plain lousy load factors (I rarely see less than 5 MCS seats open, and a LOT of flights have 7-8 open).
-I show a lot of availability, for the most part, in the Main Cabin...but about 90% of said availability shows as Main Cabin Express. This suggests "that dog ain't gonna hunt" when it comes to upselling Express seats on the LAX-MCO routing and that lots of pax are simply declining to take a seat assignment rather than pay for an Express seat.

So to answer your question, hoping for a last-minute paid upgrade seems like a gamble. MCS is more-likely-than-not but F...well, if there's ONE other passenger on your flight who has Gold, you could be in for a fight.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
I'm doing my best to run an in-depth analysis of availability on this route (I'm focusing on LAX-MCO but presuming that MCO-LAX acts more or less the same...it's just easier to run the sorts of manual brute-force searches needed on a single, defined flight).

What I'm finding is the following:
-First is selling out fairly rarely, but it's getting pretty decent load factors (there are generally 1-3 F seats open over the next few weeks; the next three days are an outlier in this regard).
-Not only does MCS sell out rarely, it has plain lousy load factors (I rarely see less than 5 MCS seats open, and a LOT of flights have 7-8 open).
-I show a lot of availability, for the most part, in the Main Cabin...but about 90% of said availability shows as Main Cabin Express. This suggests "that dog ain't gonna hunt" when it comes to upselling Express seats on the LAX-MCO routing and that lots of pax are simply declining to take a seat assignment rather than pay for an Express seat.

So to answer your question, hoping for a last-minute paid upgrade seems like a gamble. MCS is more-likely-than-not but F...well, if there's ONE other passenger on your flight who has Gold, you could be in for a fight.
now THAT is a strategy. Wow, thank you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.