Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Virgin America | Elevate pre 2018
Reload this Page >

First class vegetarian / vegan lunch options

Old Jan 13, 2016, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Hi all,

I am flying from SFO to AUS and am considering upgrading to first class. I wanted to know if there were any good vegetarian and/or vegan meal options. If not, the upgrade not really worth it....

My flight leaves at 10:55am and is over 3.5hrs long.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by Samir Patel
Hi all,

I am flying from SFO to AUS and am considering upgrading to first class. I wanted to know if there were any good vegetarian and/or vegan meal options. If not, the upgrade not really worth it....

My flight leaves at 10:55am and is over 3.5hrs long.

Our menus change quarterly. The current menu cycle just started. The vegetarian option SFO to AUS for lunch/dinner is a cheesy risotto with corn and mushrooms. For AUS to SFO the option is a vegetable lasagna.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 12:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VXCabinCrew
Our menus change quarterly. The current menu cycle just started. The vegetarian option SFO to AUS for lunch/dinner is a cheesy risotto with corn and mushrooms. For AUS to SFO the option is a vegetable lasagna.
What about non-diary options? I'm hoping there's good variety of stuff in the snacks department.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 8:05 am

There aren't really any substantial snacks, unless you want to eat chips and nuts for 3 hours. You can always order one of the hummus plates from main cabin, yet that contains cheese. You might be better off bringing your own food, as most of my kosher-only guests do.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 8:11 pm
Heg

pretty poor to have to bring your own for on board when in First Class IMO . I'm stunned that VX don't offer special meals.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by Heg
pretty poor to have to bring your own for on board when in First Class IMO . I'm stunned that VX don't offer special meals.

It wouldn't be worth the cost or trouble. Having a protein option and a vegetarian option is sufficient. In seven years I've had maybe two people not eat what was offered due to dietary restrictions. If someone is that picky, they usually know to bring their own food.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Heg
AS doesn't either
Old Apr 12, 2016, 10:47 pm
Heg

Originally Posted by VXCabinCrew
It wouldn't be worth the cost or trouble. Having a protein option and a vegetarian option is sufficient. In seven years I've had maybe two people not eat what was offered due to dietary restrictions. If someone is that picky, they usually know to bring their own food.
It's not about being 'picky'. It's about not wishing to eat animal products. Changing the vegetarian option to a vegan one would take much effort.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Heg
It's not about being 'picky'. It's about not wishing to eat animal products. Changing the vegetarian option to a vegan one would take much effort.
Note that VX will serve the F passengers anything available to the Y cabin, which provides many options.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 11:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Note that VX will serve the F passengers anything available to the Y cabin, which provides many options.
Make sure to ask for it early, so the FA can get it before it sells out in MC/MCS. We do this for the PBJ for our child.
Old Apr 17, 2016, 7:28 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
For a flight of that length I would just upgrade to Main Cabin Select. Plant Organic in Terminal 2 at SFO has several vegan options. Use the money and get a nice meal in the terminal. You get longer to watch the movies in MCS since you can watch from the time of boarding and don't need to stow the screen for take off and landing.

A lot of times VX seems to cater the F meals in parts so if you don't want the dairy added, sometimes they can just not add it before it is cooked. That has happened to me a couple times but maybe I just got lucky. If something comes mixed in before it gets to the flight attendants, then there is not much that can be done.

For transcons JetBlue Mint wins out as they do have vegan meals which can be ordered which are very good--though if you fly often, they don't change the options every month like the regular menu.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.