Virgin America goes A321neo

Old Jan 19, 2016, 9:03 pm

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
Originally Posted by transpac-canuck
Surprised nobody is either speculating or giving insider info on the likely seating configs on these 321s. Three rows of F? Additional rows of MCS at mid-cabin exits? Most airlines keep their 319s and 320s very simple and similar, but the 321s are usually different with mid-cabin lavs or whatever.
Insider know how ? Nothing here. Good point though.

That said, my honest guess these are the likely scenarios:

First, these planes get put on longer routes where they have the highest load factors. Boston flights are always packed for me.

Second, my guess is they keep F at 8 pax and add extra MCS. Why ? If for reasons of an equipment change, who do you kick out of F when switching to a smaller plane ? If I am a paid F and some routes have pax in F who all paid, getting down graded for an equipment change is not going make paid F pax happy, including me. Even with a refund, losing F on a transcon is not pleasant.

One of the things I truly appreciate with VX is the fairly consistent experience in the hardware.

One other thing to keep in mind with the 321 is the need for additional on board crew. Instead of 3 FA's, you need 4 or 5.

My guess is the routing is going to be carefully done, so there is another 321 and crew available at one end or the other to help avoid the above in any case.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 3:04 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by ptownca
Insider know how ? Nothing here. Good point though.

That said, my honest guess these are the likely scenarios:

First, these planes get put on longer routes where they have the highest load factors. Boston flights are always packed for me.

Second, my guess is they keep F at 8 pax and add extra MCS. Why ? If for reasons of an equipment change, who do you kick out of F when switching to a smaller plane ? If I am a paid F and some routes have pax in F who all paid, getting down graded for an equipment change is not going make paid F pax happy, including me. Even with a refund, losing F on a transcon is not pleasant.

One of the things I truly appreciate with VX is the fairly consistent experience in the hardware.

One other thing to keep in mind with the 321 is the need for additional on board crew. Instead of 3 FA's, you need 4 or 5.

My guess is the routing is going to be carefully done, so there is another 321 and crew available at one end or the other to help avoid the above in any case.
If VX put the 321s on the JFK-LAX/SFO routing that should cover things; in a pinch they could sub a 321 in on the LAX-SFO route if they needed to position it.

I still think that something like lie-flat seats in F might be in the cards so as to fight against the other airlines' F offerings. The question is whether that would be worth sacrificing roughly a net row of MCS (I don't know the answer to that question) in exchange for a premium on the fare. That being said, I don't know what the load factors are looking like on the transcons, and the possibility of an "MCS+" product of some sort comes to mind there as well.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 10:14 pm

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
Addtional data points

Additional data points I learned from some VX folks:

1. F will remain at 8 seats. "We want to keep it exclusive."

2. Not completely decided, but additional MCS rows are on the drawing board. How many ? Not decided.

3. No extensive changes planned in MC.

4. Extra lavs are part of the layout.

Keep the darts and dartboard out. More routes are on the drafting board
Old Feb 19, 2016, 10:26 pm

Programs: AA PP, UA 1K/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Gold
From the February 18th earnings call, Peter Hunt CFO of Virgin American was asked about the configuration of the A321:

Hi, Mike, good morning. Our expected configuration is 185 seats. We're going to have the same sized first-class cabin, eight seats, so the additional seats will all be in the main cabin. We actually think that having that smaller, intimate, eight-seat first-class cabin is the right size for us in most of our markets, so we're retaining that. It gives us consistency throughout the fleet as well.
and when asked about the "mid cabin":

Actually, we will add a row in main cabin select, so we will have more seats available for upgrades there, paid upgrades as well as upgrades for our most loyal premium traffic.
Old May 5, 2016, 4:34 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Am hoping VX/AS merger might change the direction for the incoming A321 to include competitive Business Class product to compete for Premium passengers, providing Lie Flat seats on Transcon flights...

Jiburi

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.