Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using VS Clubhouse at SFO

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2015, 6:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Using VS Clubhouse at SFO

So, it looks like I'll actually have a layover at SFO in about two weeks. I know it's $40/pop to use the Clubhouse, but I'm looking at about a 5-6 hour layover (I'm syncing my arrival with a friend). What do I/we need to know about taking advantage of the Clubhouse as far as planning this? And yes, the menu looks delicious (what can I say, they had me when I saw they had port)...that's partly why I'm looking at this to kill a few hours.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 8:01 pm

Programs: QF PS
I had to convince the VX staff at check-in to sell me a lounge pass, as they first told me that they can't do it, then told me that the lounge would be closed.

Once I actually got one, it was easy, I just hopped onto the SkyTrain to the International Terminal, and the lounge is landside.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 10:20 pm

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
Originally Posted by msheldrick
I had to convince the VX staff at check-in to sell me a lounge pass, as they first told me that they can't do it, then told me that the lounge would be closed.

Once I actually got one, it was easy, I just hopped onto the SkyTrain to the International Terminal, and the lounge is landside.
Welcome to Flyertalk

I've done two visits there: One planned and one with a long weather delay.

Service is a la carte table side. Just like ordering in a restaurant.

It is a lovely place to kill a few hours and the food and booze are top notch.

The key thing is to make sure your visit is timed to when it is open... Hours are limited and its timed around the VS flights.

Being landside eliminates the security hassles.

Its not a terribly long walk if you are light on baggage and probably faster than the Air Train, when you consider the walking distance to each terminal to reach the Air Train.

Enjoy!
Old Nov 21, 2015, 12:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Understood. I've got a long connection (I arrive at 1245 and leave at 1855; the lounge is open from 1400-1700 on the day in question...which is a pity since it's one of the few days they're not open longer; however, that means I should be able to get a good meal, enjoy my time there, and not worry about missing the flight since I'll have about 80 minutes after it closes to get back to my gate)...which means I'm going to make sure I "marry" my LAX-SFO and SFO-OGG tickets so my bags go through and check as little as possible (probably just my backpack, honestly).
Old Nov 23, 2015, 2:42 am
Suspended

Programs: VX Gold
The hours on Virgin Americas website are pretty much always wrong. The foolproof way of ascertaining if the SFO Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse is open is to check the departure times of the VS SFO-LHR flights that day.

VS 20 and VS 42 are the relevant flights, and the Clubhouse is always open ~4 before departure. On days when both VS 20 and VS 42 Operate, the CH is open for like 8 hours.

It's a hassle and a half to get the VX staff to give you a pass -- but the experience at the Clubhouse is ABSOLUTELY worth the cost and the hassle:

Pm me if you have questions.

PS: there are seats available on the inaugural OGG flight in premium cabins if you're interested in changing!
Old Nov 23, 2015, 4:14 am
Original Poster

Sniped the one that was loose at $799 (the next one is, I believe, $1299). Now, for the "fun" part...trying to restructure a trip around this change. Worse comes to worse I throw the ticket into my travelbank (it's F and it was booked with the premium card) and I know I'm going to run through it at Christmas.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 1:54 pm

Programs: AS MVP, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat
I have the phone number to the clubhouse, I use it to verify hours. Would it be kosher to post it here?

P.S. They dropped Lanson Black Label champagne a while back and replaced it with some french VDP sparkler. *sigh*

[EDIT] PM me if you want the number.

Last edited by Metanoia; Jan 7, 2016 at 5:29 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.