First price reductions?

Old Nov 15, 2015, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Avis Trump. Costco Exec. SPG PLAT PREM-90. WN A+/CP. AA SLV. Nat EE..
First price reductions?

Hey Guys. I was hoping to try out Virgin for the first time but that might not happen based upon the prices. I'm looking at LAX-MCO sometime next Weds-Sat. I've already got a backup flight booked on another airline that's refundable so if it doesn't happen then it's not like I'll be stranded.

Right now one way tickets are $1,800. What's the likelihood of prices coming down in the next few days or do they just not come down at this point? Basically my cap is $1,000. I'm not an elite on this airline.

Side question how does MCS compare to traditional F on American or Delta (same routes)?

Thanks
Old Nov 15, 2015, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

Side question. Why is Virgin F so much more than the others? They're F tickets seem to regularly be 2x-3x the competition on non LAX/SFO-NYC/BOS. This is part of the allure of me wanting to give it a shot I suppose as people are paying it apparently.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 6:39 pm

Programs: AA Gold,DL Gold
VX typically does not have Y up fares that most legacies offer. Essentially these are Y fares that instantly upgrade to F at purchase.

Also don't forget that they have the smallest premium cabin so they don't need to offer cheap fares especially on the transcon markets where there is significant paid F demand.

Given their focus on ancillary revenue they would more than likely lower the price on upgrade bids then lower fares across the board.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 4:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Disc
Originally Posted by ucfjoe

Side question how does MCS compare to traditional F on American or Delta (same routes)?

Thanks
MCS is not comparable to domestic F on other airlines. It is comparable to (though better than) Economy Plus on the legacy carriers. It is a seat within the main/economy cabin, and differs from the other seats in that cabin only in that it has more legroom (it also has more legroom than Economy Plus seats on legacy airlines). You also get free TV/Movies/food/booze, but you don't get a F-style meal (or an F-style seat).
Old Nov 17, 2015, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Thanks. MCS is on "sale" right now for some of the trips.

Also, I've noticed the seats available in F has varied quite a bit for the same flight. Went from 6 to 2 to 1 and now up to 4 (per the Virgin website). This is over the course of the last five days. Not sure how often this happens but seems like one way to try and get people to pull the trigger if they are on the fence.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 6:18 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by ucfjoe
Thanks. MCS is on "sale" right now for some of the trips.

Also, I've noticed the seats available in F has varied quite a bit for the same flight. Went from 6 to 2 to 1 and now up to 4 (per the Virgin website). This is over the course of the last five days. Not sure how often this happens but seems like one way to try and get people to pull the trigger if they are on the fence.
The "seats available" number is, I think, the number of seats at a given price and not the number remaining in the cabin.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 10:24 pm

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
You also have to consider VX F is superior to any domestic F, excepting premium transcon routes.

35"-37" pitch vs 55" pitch in F on VX.

One other thing I really like with VX, is it never purposely oversells flights. ^^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.