Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Feel the Earn is back

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2015, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Feel the Earn is back

Not as good as last year, granted, but there's still an offer of double status point earning through Nov. 19. It's actually enough for me to seriously look at trying to get back from Indy via VX again.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 5:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Disc
Thanks for the heads-up.

I had already booked a MCS cross-country fare for later this month (for biz, so no cost to me to pay extra for the guarantee, though I'm sure I would have been upgraded anyway). I guess I will call the Gold line to see if they can give me the double-points on the base fare so I don't have to cancel and re-book (though maybe that's what they'll do on their end).

I'm also curious how this double-points bonus will interact with the 100% bonus I already get from Gold (i.e., will I end up with 3x or 4x points -- guessing 3x).

Last edited by shza; Oct 9, 2015 at 6:01 pm
Old Oct 9, 2015, 5:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: VX Gold
It's disappointing that the offer isn't as good as last year. I wish there was a challenge to it (like the table they had last year) and also wish it rewarded premium cabin flights with 3x. Oh well!

Originally Posted by shza
Thanks for the heads-up.

I had already booked a MCS cross-country fare for later this month (for biz, so no cost to me to pay extra for the guarantee, though I'm sure I would have been upgraded anyway). I guess I will call the Gold line to see if they can give me the double-points on the base fare so I don't have to cancel and re-book (though maybe that's what they'll do on their end).

I'm also curious how this double-points bonus will interact with the 100% bonus I already get from Gold (i.e., will I end up with 3x or 4x points -- guessing 3x).

You might have to cancel and rebook if you booked via a travel agency. If you booked directly, a polite request to rebook on the same flight into MCS/F and pay difference in fare so you can take advantage of the promo should be sufficient to get them to waive change fee on a one-time basis.

The double points are applied only on towards the base points. So, as a gold member, each flight will result in 3x, with three entries:

Flight XXX-YYY 1,000 points
Elevate Gold Bonus 1,000 points
Feel the Earn Bonus 1,000 points
Old Oct 9, 2015, 7:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Disc
Originally Posted by bayhouse

You might have to cancel and rebook if you booked via a travel agency. If you booked directly, a polite request to rebook on the same flight into MCS/F and pay difference in fare so you can take advantage of the promo should be sufficient to get them to waive change fee on a one-time basis.
Thanks. No change fee anyway as a Gold member (right?) (and doubly so because I have the silver Visa), so that's not an issue. And I'm already booked on MCS -- though I don't see MCS/F listed as a requirement this year, so that is actually a huge expansion of the promotion (unless I missed something).

Actually, I also don't see any rule this year (unlike last year) that the booking has to be made after a certain date -- just that the travel has to occur before 11/19. So maybe there is actually nothing I have to do.

Last edited by shza; Oct 9, 2015 at 7:52 pm
Old Oct 9, 2015, 11:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by shza
Thanks. No change fee anyway as a Gold member (right?) (and doubly so because I have the silver Visa), so that's not an issue. And I'm already booked on MCS -- though I don't see MCS/F listed as a requirement this year, so that is actually a huge expansion of the promotion (unless I missed something).

Actually, I also don't see any rule this year (unlike last year) that the booking has to be made after a certain date -- just that the travel has to occur before 11/19. So maybe there is actually nothing I have to do.
If the booking is in MCS already and thats the cabin you want to fly in, just make sure you register for the promo and you're all set.

Last year, it was a point-earning challenge, plus 2x points for MCS and 3x points for F. See https://www.virginamerica.com/cms/el.../feel-the-earn (which was last year's promo).
Old Oct 9, 2015, 11:36 pm

Programs: UA G
Shorter window than last year, too. I booked some revenue tickets in December specifically because I was expecting Feel The Earn. I'm cancelling those and rebooking them as awards now.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 12:02 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by unavaca
Shorter window than last year, too. I booked some revenue tickets in December specifically because I was expecting Feel The Earn. I'm cancelling those and rebooking them as awards now.
Ditto that.

WAY shorter, like a whole month. It's a mere shadow of what it was last year.

The fact that the prior two years' Feel The Earns were substantially better caused me to book flights assuming there'd be a comparably good one this year. Definitely a let down. (HINT HINT to the VX HQ lurkers on here.)
Old Oct 10, 2015, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Well, it's also quite possible that there will be something separate, either post-Thanksgiving or over Christmas (e.g. the attempt to induce people to buy MCS/FC tickets rather than banking on upgrades so they could sell all the MC space).
Old Oct 11, 2015, 8:57 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Note as well that it only applies to a few select routes...so check out the terms and conditions before getting too excited.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 1:01 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
Well, it's also quite possible that there will be something separate, either post-Thanksgiving or over Christmas (e.g. the attempt to induce people to buy MCS/FC tickets rather than banking on upgrades so they could sell all the MC space).
Please please please that would make me so happy!
Old Oct 13, 2015, 1:02 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Note as well that it only applies to a few select routes...so check out the terms and conditions before getting too excited.
Wrong, it covers their entire route map and all city pairs. The language below is their standard boilerplate city listing.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bayhouse
Please please please that would make me so happy!
Oh, me too...honestly, in its own way that was a richer promo last year. I doubt we'll see 50% off, but I could see 25% or a variable discount for those two weeks.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 1:48 pm

Programs: WN A-list Preferred and CP, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, RIP Kimpton
The promo expires on 11/19. If I book a r/t flight that starts on 11/19 and returns on 11/20...should I only expect to receive the bonus on the 11/19 base fare?

Ignoring the above scenario, can somebody check my math here?

$500 base fare (2500 points)
5x Feel the Earn bonus points (2500 points)
25% bonus points for silver (625 points) or 100% for gold (2500 points)

In that example, Elevate Silver would net 5,625 points and Elevate Gold would net 7,500 points for a $500 base fare.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 5:06 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Alaska MVP, Delta Gold, AA Gold
Aww heck. Only seeing this now and I just flew on 10/10.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 6:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mctrees02
The promo expires on 11/19. If I book a r/t flight that starts on 11/19 and returns on 11/20...should I only expect to receive the bonus on the 11/19 base fare?

Ignoring the above scenario, can somebody check my math here?

$500 base fare (2500 points)
5x Feel the Earn bonus points (2500 points)
25% bonus points for silver (625 points) or 100% for gold (2500 points)

In that example, Elevate Silver would net 5,625 points and Elevate Gold would net 7,500 points for a $500 base fare.
Correct.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.