Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Virgin America | Elevate pre 2018
Reload this Page >

OGG-SFO-DAL-DCA and Virgin Booking System Weaknesses

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2015, 9:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference

So, I'm going to Hawaii (Maui to be specific) in December. I'm flying back to SFO on 12/10 (arriving 12/11) and then I need to get back to the East Coast. The direct flight SFO-DCA is rather expensive in F (e.g. close to $1200) while the connect-via-DAL flights are a lot cheaper (e.g. $680). The connection time is also pretty manageable (about an hour), but it will be on a split reservation. Also, the relevant OGG-SFO-DAL ticket does show in the system as does the relevant SFO-DAL-DCA ticket, so it's not like I'm forcing an improper connection. Finally, there's a hangup because I've got a friend (from Seattle) on the initial ticket (SFO-OGG) but he'll be going...well, north.

So, will a split-up ticket cause issues with my baggage (and there will be at least one checked back involved)? I could try to jam the SFO-DAL leg onto my OGG-SFO ticket somehow, but that might involve absurd acrobatics and splitting that ticket apart. If I'm going to have to play Fetch-the-Bag-and-Recheck-it, DAL is the better option (both because it is a smaller airport and because the layover is longer).

Finally...with the system expanding to Hawaii and the fact that there are now valid reasons to want to route via three flights as opposed to two (e.g. what if the SFO-DCA flight is sold out?), does anyone know why VX's website cannot seem to comprehend making more than one connection?
Old Sep 1, 2015, 5:05 pm

Have you already booked the OGG-SFO ticket? If not, you can book OGG-SFO-DAL-DCA by doing multi-city OGG-SFO then SFO-DCA and it should all be on the same reservation. Baggage should be checked through to DCA. Although it won't let you book online with less than a 1.5 hr layover. If you already have the OGG-SFO ticket you can probably call and have them add the SFO-DAL-DCA legs.

I do agree though the VX website is a bit restrictive in what it allows you to do with itineraries.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 4:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Well, that's the thing...the website is allowing the tight OGG-SFO-DAL booking (tight connection and all).

I'll call up VX in the morning and see what I can get hashed out on this front.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 9:46 am
Suspended

Programs: VX Gold
You could try booking it through Googe Flights. I was able to find OGG-SFO-DAL-DCA flights in F for ~1100 - ~1300 one-way that ticket together in the same PNR. Although google flights gives you the choice of booking through VX, you'd have to choose a different website (because the VX website can't handle it).

I'm curious if the reservations team can help. Keep us posted!
Old Sep 2, 2015, 11:44 am

Yes, the website will show layovers < 1.5 hours that it won't let you book yourself with multi-city. I've called and had them book the exact same flights on the same PNR, in my case so I could do mixed classes ie. MC on one leg and F on another. They'll waive the call-in fee since the website doesn't allow it.

Last edited by FinicalFlyer; Sep 2, 2015 at 11:49 am
Old Sep 2, 2015, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

Ok, the VX call center was able to straighten it out and get me the $1300-ish total fare OGG-SFO-DAL-DCA. They had to cancel-and-rebook, but the fare hadn't gone up since my initial booking so there were no issues on that front and they were able to force a manual connection since I had the flight numbers for all three legs.

Frankly, having spent $1100 for IAD-SFO before (on VX F as well), managing $1350 or so for Maui to Washington without a sale going on is a steal, connections be damned so I'm thrilled to have managed it. Assuming nothing goes haywire I'll get into DCA and have two hours until I catch the last train of the evening out of Alexandria (a few stops down on the Metro) to Richmond where I'll have a friend pick me up.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 8:09 am
Suspended

Programs: VX Gold
Glad to hear that worked out!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.