Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Virgin America | Elevate pre 2018
Reload this Page >

Do status points earned from the Premium Visa count towards Status Match?

Old Aug 8, 2015, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

I'm planning to do the status match challenge later this year. Virgin's site says I need to earn 3,000 Status Points to maintain Silver status.

If I have the Virgin Visa Premium card, which gives me 5k Status points if I spend $10k, will those count towards the challenge?

thanks all!
Old Aug 8, 2015, 9:15 pm

Better do so soon. It's ending September 30.

Having the card decreases the number of tier points you need to earn to meet the match.

virginamerica.com/statusmatch

Keep Your Elevate Status Reduced Status Points
Elevate Gold Earn 8,000 Status Points
Elevate Silver Earn 3,000 Status Points
Old Aug 9, 2015, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

great. thanks. but my question is, do status points earned from the card count towards the challenge?
Old Aug 10, 2015, 10:07 am

Sure, why wouldn't they?
Old Feb 25, 2016, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by Sachin Agarwal
I'm planning to do the status match challenge later this year. Virgin's site says I need to earn 3,000 Status Points to maintain Silver status.

If I have the Virgin Visa Premium card, which gives me 5k Status points if I spend $10k, will those count towards the challenge?

thanks all!

I was just wondering the same. Did you ever find a conclusive answer?
Old Feb 27, 2016, 1:24 am

While holding the credit card reduces the amount of status points that you have to earn to meet the challenge, I believe the required status points must come from flights.

The language from VX on the status match reads in part: "if you like the perks* (and we bet you will), you can retain your status through the end of 2016 by earning sufficient status points for flights on Virgin America, Virgin Atlantic, and Virgin Australia before your temporary status expires. You can qualify even faster by signing up for a Virgin America Visa Credit Card:**"
Old Feb 29, 2016, 10:36 am

Programs: AS, AA, Hilton, Hyatt
Originally Posted by halamadrid
While holding the credit card reduces the amount of status points that you have to earn to meet the challenge, I believe the required status points must come from flights.

The language from VX on the status match reads in part: "if you like the perks* (and we bet you will), you can retain your status through the end of 2016 by earning sufficient status points for flights on Virgin America, Virgin Atlantic, and Virgin Australia before your temporary status expires. You can qualify even faster by signing up for a Virgin America Visa Credit Card:**"
I can confirm that as well. I did the challenge last year and only the flights counted towards the status. Granted, having the CC did reduce the points needed, which made it easier.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by halamadrid

ANY status points added during the 90 day match period will count towards meeting the match, including from Visa. The issue is that most people will have JUST gotten the card, so they would have to spend $10,000 in that 90 day match period AND have status points added within that same time. Almost impossible to time correctly on a brand new credit card account.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by cringle
ANY status points added during the 90 day match period will count towards meeting the match, including from Visa. The issue is that most people will have JUST gotten the card, so they would have to spend $10,000 in that 90 day match period AND have status points added within that same time. Almost impossible to time correctly on a brand new credit card account.
Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to say I don't believe you, I really hope what you say is true, but what proof do you have? Do you have experience with this?
Old Apr 3, 2016, 11:39 pm

I do indeed. They're status points, so it doesn't matter where they're from. The biggest point in the prior response is that it's almost impossible to get them awarded during the 90 day challenge period on a new credit card account.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.