Wiki Posts
Search

VX Elevate Silver - but routes inconvenient

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2015, 9:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium & LT Gold
VX Elevate Silver - but routes inconvenient

I got an email offering me Elevate Silver for a year if I completed a qualifying R/T flight between August 9 and November 8 - but their route map is quite limited. I'm based out of Boston, and while I have flights to SFO and LAX, I don't have any transcon flights coming up; also I'm temporarily moving to SAT in early Sept. I could do their new AUS-DAL route, but once I get Silver I would not use it much.

Any thoughts?
Old Jul 31, 2015, 3:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Plat, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I would say don't bother. The benefits of Elevate Silver are minimal; Gold is much more valuable. You get to board first, priority security, and some chance of an upgrade into a seat that other airlines (e.g. American, United) would give you automatically with comparable status. The upgrades are a crap shoot because you can easily get "upgraded" into a middle seat.

With Gold you can buy upgrades to First ahead of everyone else, which for me at least would be a valuable benefit. Unfortunately I don't fly enough on VX's routes to get to Gold, and the flying I do on their routes is split between VX and JetBlue.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 1:46 am

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
Originally Posted by MikeBOS
I would say don't bother. The benefits of Elevate Silver are minimal; Gold is much more valuable. You get to board first, priority security, and some chance of an upgrade into a seat that other airlines (e.g. American, United) would give you automatically with comparable status. The upgrades are a crap shoot because you can easily get "upgraded" into a middle seat.

With Gold you can buy upgrades to First ahead of everyone else, which for me at least would be a valuable benefit. Unfortunately I don't fly enough on VX's routes to get to Gold, and the flying I do on their routes is split between VX and JetBlue.
I have to respectfully disagree.

I've been Silver now three years and have found the treatment and service exceptional. Gold and Silver are allowed to board after First. Gold gets two bags free, Silver one. Both with Priority bag tags.

The ability to buy upgrades T-24 versus T-12 is an advantage, but otherwise I have to say my experience has been really great. Whether gate staff, check in staff or on board, Silver or Gold are given a lot of appreciation.

I have quite a few stories where VX have done things right or where I have had exceptionally good crews.. Perhaps it deserves its own thread.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 4:50 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Plat, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I think some of the explanation for the difference in our experiences probably has to do with specific circumstances. I never check baggage so the free bag is not valuable for me. I fly only BOS-SFO; in BOS there is effectively no priority security line (nor is one needed) and in SFO I use TSA Pre, so that benefit doesn't help me either. That pretty much leaves the upgrade window as the primary benefit, and between the likelihood of getting "upgraded" into a middle seat with MCS and the scarce availability of F upgrades on this route, that benefit doesn't help me much either.

On the issue of appreciation, I have been Silver for 2 years and never had my status acknowledged by anyone at Virgin. This is not materially different from the other airlines where I have or have had status, so not a big deal, but from my perspective treatment by VX staff is exactly the same as flyers with no status.

For someone who regularly checks bags, doesn't participate in TSA Pre, and flies to/from airports other than BOS, the benefits could be more valuable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.