Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Virgin America | Elevate pre 2018
Reload this Page >

Basic question - how many status points per dollar earned?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2015, 7:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum

Super basic question... How many status points per dollar will I earn?

The member guide (below) doesn't seem to indicate. I know I earn 5 points per dollar on a flight. Are those the same as status points? I have 11,550 status points, and in order to requalify for next year with gold via status match, I need to have 12,000 status points by next month... so another 450 points. Looks like the flight I need to book is $150. I think, by my understanding, that will push me over the edge - wanted to check here first. THANKS!

Flights with Virgin America:

Elevate Members can earn status Points for their flights purchased with dollars from Virgin America upon completion of travel. Status Points will be awarded based on the published, purchased base fare paid (excluding taxes and mandatory fees) on your own individual eligible fares and other specified activities. Airport facility charges, customer and immigration fees, security fees, baggage fees, in-flight purchases and other fees and taxes are not eligible to earn status Points. The specific number of status Points that will be awarded for eligible flights, purchases and activities will be available on the Virgin America website. The definition of eligible activities and transactions, as well as the amount of status Points accrued for each may change over time.

Some travel is not eligible for earning status Points. We reserve the right to determine which travel is eligible for earning status Points and to make modifications at any time. Ineligible travel includes but is not limited to the following: reward travel, other free ticket promotions, non-revenue travel, tickets purchased as part of a travel package or from certain sources that resell our tickets.

Unless otherwise specified, any bonus reward Points earned, including the Elevate Gold (100%) and Elevate Silver (25%) bonus rewards Points for Virgin America flights, do not qualify towards Elevate Status Benefits.

Virgin America reserves the rights to change the Elevate status Points accrual rate at any time.

From time to time, Virgin America may offer opportunities to earn status Points for bonuses, promotional incentives, or other purchase opportunities. Such offers may be temporary in nature. We reserve the right to modify or eliminate such offers at any time. The offers are void where prohibited by law.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 12:35 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
It's 5 status points on the airfare (i.e. excluding a small subset of taxes). The bonus points aren't status points. So you'd need an airfare of $90 (450 points/5 points per dollar equals $90).
Old Apr 27, 2015, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Thanks for letting me know. I know it's obvious that you earn 5 points per dollar, but I'm surprised they don't make it more obvious that the same applies to STATUS points. I just booked a $140 base fare ticket for a couple weeks for now - so I should be good to go.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 9:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, VX Gold, HHonors Gold
seems pretty obvious per details how to earn status points on this page:
https://www.virginamerica.com/cms/el...us/earn-status
Old Apr 27, 2015, 9:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pds_SFO
seems pretty obvious per details how to earn status points on this page:
https://www.virginamerica.com/cms/el...us/earn-status
True - that assumes you found that page and searched for "five" instead of quickly skimming for a number... I didn't see it right away so I made the crazy assumption that it would be in the program terms, pasted above.

But thanks for coming to the post after the questions was answered just to point out that I'm not that sharp - COMMUNITY!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.