Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Virgin America | Elevate pre 2018
Reload this Page >

Easy way to upgrade from regular to premium credit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2015, 9:15 am
Original Poster

Hi all.. I've had the Regular Visa Signature CC for about 9 months now and I really regret not starting with the Premium card. Is there an easy way to make the switch to upgrade the card before I book summer travel? Thanks!
Cupcakes
Old Apr 6, 2015, 10:27 am

Why not just apply for a second card?

Alternatively you can ask to have the card changed but whether you can get approval depends on the issuer. Some will transfer cards, some won't and require a new application.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 8:55 pm

And some cite a rule about changing T&C in the first year and tell you that you need to wait one year from account opening.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would first try to apply for a 2nd card. If you get it, great. Just cancel the old card when the AF comes due.

If that doesn't work and you get denied for having a similar card, call them and explain that you want the higher level benefits.

The reason that I would apply for the other card first is that if you call them they may just try to upgrade you, but if you apply online the computer might just approve you for a new card. A new card is better than an upgrade because, if you upgrade you will miss out on the sign-up bonus pts, which have significant value.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 10:56 pm

I did this last fall. Dealing with Commenity was awful and it took a few weeks of me explaining why I wanted to upgrade. You have to get routed to one of the supervisors and deal with the SAME person whenever you call. She said that no one ever requested this "upgrade" before and wasn't sure if it could be done (it could be, because I have Premium now). I didn't actually get a new card, but I got charged the extra $$ and get all of the benefits, so it's good enough for me.
Good luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.