Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Virgin America | Elevate pre 2018
Reload this Page >

First Class upgrade purchase 12 hours prior to departure

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2015, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

I am flying from Boston to LAX this summer. I have Elevate Silver status so I can purchase first class upgrade 12 hours prior to departure.

My question is, is the first class upgrade purchase availability based on inventory control? Or if there is an open empty first class at T-12, I can purchase the upgrade?

If the first class is full at T-12, but someone makes last-hour cancellation 1 hour prior to departure (thus open up a seat in first class), would that seat be available for upgrade purchase ?

Lastly, what is the cost of upgrade from Main Cabin Select to First Class from Boston to LAX?
Old Mar 30, 2015, 10:14 pm

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
Firstly, the BOS <> LAX and BOS <> SFO routes are very popular and frequently sold out. I just want to level set expectations. I've talked with flight crews about this and they mention this on more than one occasion. I did this route twice since Christmas and every seat was full.

First Class upgrades are not on inventory control, but on real seat availability. You can actually buy the upgrade on board if there is a last minute no show.. The upgrade purchase can be made via the IFE. I've done it a few times. When checking in and at the gate, ask to be put on the upgrade list. It works TM.

I did get a very last minute upgrade on SFO > BOS and it was $399 and I happily paid for it.

Good luck and enjoy Boston, my home town.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 4:37 am
Original Poster

So if at T-12, all seats in first class are taken, and then at T-7, one seat opens up for whatever reason (perhaps due to some last-hour cancellation), I can pay for that open seat online after I check in at T-12... ?
Old Mar 31, 2015, 5:46 am
Suspended

Programs: VX Gold
Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc
So if at T-12, all seats in first class are taken, and then at T-7, one seat opens up for whatever reason (perhaps due to some last-hour cancellation), I can pay for that open seat online after I check in at T-12... ?
Yes, you can still pay to upgrade (if there's space) after checking in, but you can't do it online. You have to call and ask to upgrade or ask an airport staff member to upgrade you.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 5:24 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Plat, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I fly BOS-SFO regularly; even with the 6 hour advantage of Elevate Silver, upgrades are only available around 10% of the time. The other 90% F is full. There are no capacity controls once you're in the 12 hour window; if there's a seat open you can upgrade into it, but that's mostly not the case.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 8:09 pm

If you do get lucky, the upgrade fees are listed here:

https://www.virginamerica.com/cms/vx-fees

Since you are going from MCS to F, it would range from $70 - $240 as per the website.

I frequently travel LGA-DAL so i've only seen the $70 offer. I'm assuming the fees are determined by route.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 8:30 am
Original Poster

... just purchased an upgrade for $240 from Bos to Lax. When I checked-in, there were still two first-class seats available for my flight. I got MCS for cheap, with $240 upgrade fee, the entire flight in first class only cost me less than $500... I'd say it's a good deal to fly from Bos to Lax for less than $500 in first class.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 8:51 am
Suspended

Programs: VX Gold
Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc
... just purchased an upgrade for $240 from Bos to Lax. When I checked-in, there were still two first-class seats available for my flight. I got MCS for cheap, with $240 upgrade fee, the entire flight in first class only cost me less than $500... I'd say it's a good deal to fly from Bos to Lax for less than $500 in first class.
I agree, that's great
Old Oct 20, 2015, 1:14 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List Preferred and CP, Marriott Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by edcho
If you do get lucky, the upgrade fees are listed here:

https://www.virginamerica.com/cms/vx-fees

Since you are going from MCS to F, it would range from $70 - $240 as per the website.

I frequently travel LGA-DAL so i've only seen the $70 offer. I'm assuming the fees are determined by route.
edcho - Just wondering if you still consistently see the $70 MCS to F upgrade on the DAL-LGA route. Also, have you ever seen the cost of a MC to F upgrade on that route? Thanks.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 3:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by MikeBOS
I fly BOS-SFO regularly; even with the 6 hour advantage of Elevate Silver, upgrades are only available around 10% of the time. The other 90% F is full. There are no capacity controls once you're in the 12 hour window; if there's a seat open you can upgrade into it, but that's mostly not the case.
Mike, Silver gets you 12 advantage to upgrade to 1st.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Disc
Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
Mike, Silver gets you 12 advantage to upgrade to 1st.
It only gets you a 6 hour "advantage" over people who are Elevate Red (i.e., anyone who checked a box), since those folks can upgrade 6 hours before departure.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 11:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by MikeBOS
I also fly SFO-BOS regularly. I was delighted yesterday to get an F award on this route for 75,000 Virgin Atlantic points. If you can manufacture the spend, you might try going that route with either the VS-branded card, or transfer points from Chase Ultimate Rewards to a VS mileage account.

You'd have enough points if you can spend $12,000 in first six months with VS Mastercard: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...000-bonus.html $90 annual fee.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 4:00 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List Preferred and CP, Marriott Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by mek17
edcho - Just wondering if you still consistently see the $70 MCS to F upgrade on the DAL-LGA route. Also, have you ever seen the cost of a MC to F upgrade on that route? Thanks.
FYI, just found out the MC to F upgrade for DAL-LGA routes is $149. The MC to MCS on that route is $79.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 6:15 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle, Avis Preferred Plus, AMEX Platinum
Anyone know what the upgrade fee is from MC to F on SFO-DAL these days?

I'm flying that route on Virgin tomorrow. I imagine pretty soon it will fall under Alaska's upgrade policy ($100 for flights in the 1,251-2,500 mile range) but probably not tomorrow's flight.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 7:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Disc
Originally Posted by ptownca
I did get a very last minute upgrade on SFO > BOS and it was $399 and I happily paid for it.
$399 is the price to upgrade from MC>F; MCS>F is $240.

I fly SFO>NY and SFO>DC fairly frequently and always buy MC, get auto-upgraded to MCS, pay to upgrade to F. I think availability on the DCA route is about the same as BOS, and I've never had trouble, but I always bite right at T-24.

If the OP (ucla) hasn't bought his/her ticket yet though, worth looking at JetBlue Mint fares, since they're on that route and if they've got $599 one-ways, that's probably not that much more than the cost of the VX ticket and upgrade fee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.