Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Virgin America | Elevate pre 2018
Reload this Page >

Virgin rewards/status attribution on asymmetric ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2014, 2:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: MR AMB/LT, AA EP, TK EP, DL D, B6 M4, F9 100K, IHG AMB/D, HH D, CZR D, FndCd, Sixt D, NTL E, Hz PC

To hit the 5000 points get 2500 level, as well as triple in FC promo, I bought an expensive SFO-LAS in F on 19 DEC and a Y return 22 DEC. (I'm trying to hit the 8000 mile challenge for VX Gold, although it appears I'll be fine do to SFO-IAD-SFO and SFO-PDX-SFO travel upcoming too.)

On the website, it appears they just split my base fare in half, and put half of it on the 19th and thus eligible for the promo -- leaving me short on status points, plus losing out on triple benefit.

This seems pretty lame -- and I didn't see it documented anywhere.

I assume I'll have decent response from VX getting the points, either through fixing it or just giving me points, but I wonder if this is a software/accounting thing they plan to fix generally.

Maybe it makes more sense to just book travel as one-ways? TSA Pre presumably counteracts the "extra security selection points" for that.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 7:10 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
You're not going to get SSSS from buying domestic one ways these days. That being said, I agree that they should fix the system if it isn't differentiating the two one ways in the reservation.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'll bet that they will fix it for you. Just send a missing points email (no point in trying to do it over the phone; they will just tell you to send the email. I've tried; the CSRs on the phone can't do anything)

I've always found VX customer service to be very good and they always try to do what's fair. It will probably take them 7-10 days to get to your email, but, once they do, I'd be surprised if they didn't fix it for you.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MR AMB/LT, AA EP, TK EP, DL D, B6 M4, F9 100K, IHG AMB/D, HH D, CZR D, FndCd, Sixt D, NTL E, Hz PC
I mailed them on the 23rd and still no response. Not sure if this is normal wait time, their holiday schedule, or something else. I'm going to start becoming increasingly persistently vocal until they resolve it, I think. (I wish there were a service to outsource things like this to)
Old Jan 8, 2015, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

I poked at the twitter people, who then poked the account review people. I got the F portion with triple points credited correctly now, but they didn't credit my "Feel The Earn" 5000/2500 bonus yet.

Not sure about status points; I have a mid-NOV 2014 start 90 day status challenge running. I had gotten up pretty close to the threshold already by the end of the year (7000 of 8000 points?) and would have been over with FTE or with some points from CC spend. But it now is zeroized for the first of the year and says expires 1/1/2016.

(I was sort of hoping I'd qualify in early-2016 and thus get Gold through 2015, 2016 and expire 1/1/2017 off of this at best, but that's probably unrealistically generous. Without serious promos, not sure if I'll be able to requal Gold in 2015 for 2016, but Silver for sure. I'll be VA Gold by then too.)
Old Jan 8, 2015, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The fact that the total is zeroed doesn't mean anything. They still look at the pts earned in the 90-day period. And the FTE bonus should count towards it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.