Community
Wiki Posts
Search

VX F - is there always a meal?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2014, 10:21 pm
Original Poster

VX F - is there always a meal?

Flew SFO-PDX tonight and all they offered were Main Cabin Select snacks - is that normal?
Old Dec 7, 2014, 10:33 pm

I don't think they serve a meal on the short hauls. Flew SAN-SFO on F and was served snacks only.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are occasionally meals but it is rare. They do always have the packaged boxes available if you ask though.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 11:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: VX Gold
In my experience, ever since the meal service was revised 12-18 months ago, is that short haul F does not have meals unless the flight departs before 10am. If the flight departs before 10, a breakfast service is offered. The exception is LAX-LAS, where a meal is never served.

They used to serve a "meal" that was more like a sophisticated snack: a plate featuring stuff like hummus with pita, olives, cheese, a truffle, etc. This was discontinued around the time the certain long-haul routes got improved meal service with linen and hot towels. Apparently the small short haul meals were burdensome to prepare and not commonly desired (personally, I only ate one or two things from the small plate). The small breakfast was more popular so they kept it.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 5:31 pm

I think it also depends on the time of day. I flew SEA-SFO-SEA in F last month and there were meals both ways (late afternoon and early morning departures)
Old Dec 14, 2014, 1:29 pm

Location: Los Angeles and Eastern Sierra (weekly travel to SJC). "Home airports": LAX/BUR/BIH/SJC
Programs: SWA A-List Preferred, TSA Pre
Originally Posted by vision4bg
Flew SFO-PDX tonight and all they offered were Main Cabin Select snacks - is that normal?
I've only flown first class LAX<->SFO, no meals just some lousy snacks you'd find in a vending machine. All I care about is constant pouring of alcohol-containing drinks so it is nice, and definitely comfortable.

I typically fly Virgin first class when booking at the last minute. It's only $20 more than Main Cabin at that point, and Southwest (which offers nothing compared to Virgin) is the same price. First Class is most cost effective in that case.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I find that the snacks that they offer are pretty good. I particularly like the cookies -- they are very good quality.

You can also ask for things that they don't bring around in the little snack tray. They generally have pringles (I'm not sure why, but those never seem to be in the trays that they bring around) and the snack boxes ("protein" and "hearty"). The info (online) about what's in the snack boxes is a little out of date. The meat in the protein box is a small can of tuna; the meat in the hearty box is some salami slices. Personally, I prefer the hearty.

If you are just looking to maximize alcohol intake, the key is to board as soon as they open boarding and get a double pre-takeoff. Recline, relax, and sip your drink while everyone else boards. You will have about 20-30 min to finish it, which should be plenty of time.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 6:03 pm

Location: Los Angeles and Eastern Sierra (weekly travel to SJC). "Home airports": LAX/BUR/BIH/SJC
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
If you are just looking to maximize alcohol intake, the key is to board as soon as they open boarding and get a double pre-takeoff. Recline, relax, and sip your drink while everyone else boards. You will have about 20-30 min to finish it, which should be plenty of time.
I make sure I board as soon as First is called. I can usually get through 3 or 4 before the FAs must take their seats for taxi. Then the next hour is 3 or 4 more. I prefer that to any snacks. Though, I would love to fly first transcon to try the meals.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 7:18 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by DataJunkie
I make sure I board as soon as First is called. I can usually get through 3 or 4 before the FAs must take their seats for taxi. Then the next hour is 3 or 4 more. I prefer that to any snacks. Though, I would love to fly first transcon to try the meals.
^ THIS. I love your beverage plan. I'm also partial to snacks. win/win. ^
Old Dec 19, 2014, 8:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: VX Gold
Originally Posted by DataJunkie

How are you able to get 3 or 4 pre departure beverages?! I'm a fan of drinks myself and finish quickly. I consider it a success if I get two -- and only once one over 250+ segments on VX have I received three. And even then, there was a tarmac delay!

It freely flows in the air (excusing one instance when the IFTL imposed some arbitrary one-drink-per-hour rule) and I could probably drink until I became sick if I wanted to. But drinks on the ground are a different story...

Am I the only one who thinks two is above-average? I'm welcome to techniques to get more, so long as they fall within the realm of civil demeanor.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bayhouse
How are you able to get 3 or 4 pre departure beverages?! I'm a fan of drinks myself and finish quickly. I consider it a success if I get two -- and only once one over 250+ segments on VX have I received three. And even then, there was a tarmac delay!

It freely flows in the air (excusing one instance when the IFTL imposed some arbitrary one-drink-per-hour rule) and I could probably drink until I became sick if I wanted to. But drinks on the ground are a different story...

Am I the only one who thinks two is above-average? I'm welcome to techniques to get more, so long as they fall within the realm of civil demeanor.
Two is easy. Last time I flew I was F standby (everything was delayed so I got on an earlier flight, which left when my actual flight was supposed to), meaning I didn't board until the A group boarded, and I still got 2.

As you are getting on the plane (before you sit down), make eye-contact with the FA, smile, say hi, and ask if you can get a <whatever> "when you have a minute". That gets you your first one very quickly, and then you can ask for a 2nd one when you are done with the first one.

There are only 2 rows of F. It's generally not difficult to get their attention. If you make eye contact they assume that you want something.

I am not a big drinker, especially when alone, so I am happy with 2. But I'm sure that 3 is easily doable. 4 is probably pushing it.

Also, if you are drinking hard liquor (I usually get the scotch) they will bring you a double if you ask (sometimes they offer, but not usually). If you're drinking beer you are stuck with 1 at a time.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 5:50 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
On the food front, is LAX-SEA long enough for a meal? It's over two hours, but I don't know where that falls in terms of food service (it's not LAX-SFO, but it's also not LAX-JFK).
Old Dec 20, 2014, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by bayhouse

I've flown Virgin first class 5 times and 4 of those times, as soon as they saw my glass empty, they would ask me if I wanted more. I didn't feel like I was imposing or anything like that (I am very sensitive to that and was worried about it at first). It never seemed to be an issue.

One one flight, I only got 2 drinks: one pre-departure and one in the air. I didn't ask for more.

2 is reasonable for a short flight and I wouldn't ask for more than that (unless you want a third which I am sure they wouldn't mind)... but if they offer, I will say yes every time. :-)
Old Dec 20, 2014, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't really consider it "being imposing" to ask for drinks. I think that it's important to be polite and generally pleasant (smile, say please and thank you and all that) but there's nothing wrong with asking for something.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Has anyone been in F on the new FLL - JFK - FLL service? How are the meals like?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.