Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Virgin America | Elevate pre 2018
Reload this Page >

Virgin America to Asiana (or other carrier) Interline Experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2014, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat, National Executive Elite, Hotels.com Gold

My company booked me on a ticket DAL-LAX-ICN. DAL-LAX is on VX and LAX-ICN is on OZ. It is all on one ticket issued by OZ. I was able to pull up the reservation on the VX website and all looks correct (though there aren't seat assignments).

Do any of you have experience "interlining" between VX and other carriers? The company said that VX will check my bags through and be able to issue boarding passes for OZ, and the VX website seems to confirm (https://www.virginamerica.com/cms/fl...rline-partners)

I realize I'll have to exit security at LAX and walk from T3 to TBIT. Just looking to see if others have done this.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 1:13 am

Just about to start my trip of VX SFO-JFK then BR JFK-TPE as connection flight, and ticket was issued by BR.

My bag tag is correctly labeled with SFO-JFK-TPE, and I think I don't need to pick it up at JFK as I have had similar experience on AS SEA-LAX then BR LAX-TPE. Anyway if there is any surprises I'll post it.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 2:24 am

Last April I flew HEL-ARN-ORD-SFO return with SK issued tickets, HEL-ARN with separate ticket and ORD-SFO operated by VX. SK "married" my tickets at HEL checkin, tagged my bag all the way to SFO (had to pick it up and re-check for customs in ORD as usual) but they could not issue VX boarding pass. Not really a problem, I got my boarding pass (and got a paid upgrade to F at reasonable price) when re-checking my bag at ORD.

On my way back at SFO, VX couldn't issue SK boarding passes either. In addition they would only tag my bags to ARN because that was what they saw in reservation. I tried to convince them by showing my reservation and online checkin I had just made for my final leg but it didn't help. No big deal though as I had reserved plenty of connection time just in case. When I picked up my boarding pass at ORD I asked if they can do anything about it. To my surprise they said that according to their computer my bag is checked all the way to HEL. When I said that I saw with my own eyes that the tag read only ARN, they promised to fetch my bag and double check. When I got my bag at HEL it had VX baggage tag to ARN and hand written "HEL" and my flight number on it.

So interlining between VX and SK generally works, but it seems their IT systems don't talk to each other very well and especially if there is something special in your reservation, it is better to keep your eyes open.

Initially I was little surprised SK didn't use their *A partner UA for ORD-SFO segment but after great in-flight experience with VX I didn't even care that I didn't get any miles for those segments. Of course VX could have saved me a little trouble if they had tagged my bag all the way already in SFO but I can accept that it's not that simple when there is separate ticket with different carrier and not even in same alliance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.