Wiki Posts
Search

MC vs MCS?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2014, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

MC vs MCS?

I'm wondering about the difference between MC and MCS on VX.

Usually I book early and fly F for a reasonable fare, but for a flight I want (around new years) F is a little pricy. So I was going to buy a MC ticket.

If I get one of the emergency exit MC window seats, I wonder if I should opt for the free upgrade I have a shot at as silver? MCS has 6 inches of extra legroom, but the EE rows have those 6 inches anyway. So the pitch is the same for both (38)

Obviously the free food & drinks are nice, but it's a short flight; I have all the free food and drinks I want when I land, and my concern is that I'll get "upgraded" to a middle seat. I'm thinking that the MC EE window seat is better than than a random MCS middle seat. To me, having a window seat is worth more than a couple of drinks and a box of cookies (although, I really do like those cookies). It's SFO - LAS, so no meal service. Obviously I might luck out and get upgraded to a MCS window seat, but I don't want to count on that.

Is there anything that I'm missing? I know that the MCS seats are a different color of leather, but is there any other difference? They aren't wider.. are they somehow more comfortable?

I'm obviously hoping that I can buy an upgrade to F at T-12, but I'm not really counting on it. I assume that they price the F seats so high because they expect to sell them all, even at that price.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
All your IFE is also free.

What is the fare differential? If you want a box of cookies and a couple of drinks, swipe your credit card and sit in the seat with a bunch of legroom that is already free for you and you are ahead. I thought the emergency exit row was MCS. Well, I suppose there are some planes where it is and some where there's a second (non MCS) row.

Do you need the spend for status?
Old Nov 11, 2014, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

For the SFO-LAS route they use this configuration. Row 9 is EE and MC (presumably because it doesn't recline, since there is an EE row behind it as well). I rarely recline in economy seats because I find that it doesn't make it any more comfortable. But, since it's EE, it has the pitch of 38 instead of 32.

I absolutely don't need the pts. I fly SFO-LAS RT about once every 2-3 weeks, usually in F, paying $245 each way, so I will easily get gold next year (I just switched from WN to VX, so I'm just status matched to silver now) I just don't want to pay $424 for that flight, which is why I want to do this flight in MC or MCS (I am actually gladly paying the $424 / segment fare for my thanksgiving trip, but that is during the FTE promo so I feel that it's worth it due to the massive number of points that I get -- triple pts in F + silver bonus + CC bonus = 19.25 pts/dollar spent. It also actually will get me over 10k pts for the promo, so there's another 2500 bonus pts as well)

IFE is no big deal, because, again, it's a 1hr flight. I never use it, even in F.

So, basically, say I select seat 9F (EE, window). That is an express seat, but I don't have to pay the $30 because of the silver status. If I check the box to try for the free upgrade to MCS and I end up in, say, 10F, I would be happy. Still a window seat, plus free food and drinks. But if I ended up in 10E, I think I would be unhappy because it's a middle seat -- I think I prefer 9F to 10E + food + bev.

Unfortunately, there is no box that says "only upgrade me if I can get a window seat".

I could also just pay for 10E up-front, but then I'm just paying an extra $90 for food and drinks, which is crazy.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 12:19 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
It's a 72 minute flight. Stick with the MC. If you're silver you could probably call within the 24 hours or whatever and ask if there is a good seat available before requesting the upgrade.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gooseman13
It's a 72 minute flight. Stick with the MC.
Yeah, that's what I did. I bought the ticket last night and left the opt-in box unchecked (I am in 9F)

If you're silver you could probably call within the 24 hours or whatever and ask if there is a good seat available before requesting the upgrade.
I can check the seat map and see what's available. But aren't all the upgrades automated? ie, just because there are some good seats available, isn't there still a chance that I get upgraded to a bad one?
Old Nov 12, 2014, 2:08 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Yeah, that's what I did. I bought the ticket last night and left the opt-in box unchecked (I am in 9F)

I can check the seat map and see what's available. But aren't all the upgrades automated? ie, just because there are some good seats available, isn't there still a chance that I get upgraded to a bad one?
I assume they can do a manual upgrade, but I'm not positive. However, once you're upgraded you can always switch seats to any available seat in MCS.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Oh, I guess, another benefit of being upgraded to MCS is that, if there are F seats available, the upgrade to F is cheaper.

Is it still only $30 to upgrade MCS -> F on that route?
Old Nov 12, 2014, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Just to put this in perspective, and maybe it isn't relative, but maybe it is ... how much do you typically blow in a LAS weekend where you have "all the free food and drinks [you] want when you land?
Old Nov 12, 2014, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Just to put this in perspective, and maybe it isn't relative, but maybe it is ... how much do you typically blow in a LAS weekend where you have "all the free food and drinks [you] want when you land?
Well, nothing on food or drinks!

I have a specific limit, which I'd rather not disclose, but it is 5 figures long. And, of course sometimes I win as well.

But, you don't need to pay that big to get free rooms, food, and drinks. Of course, there are different levels -- are you spending $30 at the buffet, $300 at the steakhouse, or $3000 at the nightclub? Are you in a standard room, a penthouse suite, or something in between?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.